Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to xin668
Mein Auto: 745li
What's going on with the battery?

Hello all! I am looking for some opinion on whether if it is the battery problem or I have a bigger problem I need to deal with. I have a 2003 745LI. About 2 months ago, I bought a battery from O'Reilly. It has a larger CCA than the original that I replaced. Just about 1 month ago, I got the INPA software to register the battery. My family and I don’t drive the car that much, average about once a week on the weekends. What is weird is that the trunk lid can’t be open by itself with the new battery. When pressing the trunk lid open button, the trunk would unlock, and then a continuous “static” noise from the trunk, but it never rises up. Little help by lifting the trunk lid a little bit, then the trunk lid would rise up as it should. I have a charger, and fully charging the battery to 12.6V doesn’t help either. The car starts up fine with the battery, and the trunk lid would open if the charger is connected. When the engine is running, the voltage is between 14.5V to below 15V. Sometimes the battery drops to a low voltage after not driving for a couple days, causing the air bag light to turn on, very frustrating when I see that! All other electronics seem to be fine.

I haven’t give O’Reilly the old battery yet, and when I put back the old battery, the trunk lid rises up whenever I press the trunk lid open button, and it was only holding 12V of charge! I took the new battery back to O’Reilly for them to check on both the voltage and load tests, and the machines tell them that the battery is good. So what is going on?

My questions are:
1. Is it the battery problem that I am dealing with?
2. I have been reading lots of posts recently, and I have reading broken electronics that would short and drain the battery. Is it this?
3. How about the alternator?
4. Do you think the voltage and load test machines are not a reliable way of testing the battery?

Thanks for reading through the post. Please help! I don't know where to go at this point.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Is the new battery an AGM chemistry? I'm pretty sure you need DIS to register a non-AGM or a battery with higher CCA. INPA can only register an original spec battery.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to xin668
Mein Auto: 745li
I don't think it is AGM battery. the battery looks almost exactly the same as the old battery, except that the new battery is a little longer. I have been thinking of getting the DIS, because I have been playing around with INPA, but it just doesn't have the functionalities I had been reading from other posts. Do you think that the wrong CCA value in the computer will cause the trunk lid problem? thx.