Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-09-2015, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto:
2001 BMW 740IL Sound system

I just got a 2001 740il. It's a beautiful car. But I want to start working on the speaker system. I'm a beginner on BMWs but I do believe the car has DSP (which I kind of understand what it is for). I tried to play music the other day, and the front passenger door speaker had this static like sound coming out. But then I guess I pressed DSP button and rather than it making noise, nothing was coming out. Which I believe it is shot, but I'm not so sure. I also have a blown speaker in the rear deck, and that was taken out. So, I'm just interested in replacing everything, Bose preferably, but open to others. But I'm not sure what to look at, as I'm a newbie to these things. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer24 View Post
I just got a 2001 740il. It's a beautiful car. But I want to start working on the speaker system. I'm a beginner on BMWs but I do believe the car has DSP (which I kind of understand what it is for). I tried to play music the other day, and the front passenger door speaker had this static like sound coming out. But then I guess I pressed DSP button and rather than it making noise, nothing was coming out. Which I believe it is shot, but I'm not so sure. I also have a blown speaker in the rear deck, and that was taken out. So, I'm just interested in replacing everything, Bose preferably, but open to others. But I'm not sure what to look at, as I'm a newbie to these things. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
The amp might be fried.

Also Bose doesn't make aftermarket speakers. You'll have to replace the amp and the speakers
Old 12-10-2015, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Ya, I figured as much. My buddy suggested Kickers speakers. What are the specific sizes to install them? I've been hearing 6x5 or something for the rear deck, and something like 5x2 for the door speakers.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740i, 740iL
Stick with Existing System

duplicate

Last edited by jettdirect; 02-24-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740i, 740iL
Stick with Existing System

The BMW DSP system is a pretty good stereo system, even after 15 years. I agree that it is best to just replace failed components. A complete system replacement would be a huge PITA, expensive, and still would not be guaranteed to sound better than a functioning stock system.

Dayton Audio ND140-8 speakers match spec and will drop right in to the rear deck location. They are a great although not quite perfect fit. You will need four. Try searching for them on Amazon.com
Old 02-24-2016, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto:
Alright cool. Thank you. I'll check them out.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search