Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e38 750iL
Touring wagon spare tire latch failure and removal

The latch opening the hatch granting access to the spare tire area failed on me and would no longer open. This is the latch I'm talking about.

The first shows the latch to which I am referring. the cell phone pictures are upside down for some reason. I find it a bit dizzying.

After trying to lock/unlock mechanism, pry at sides, and pick at the latch from underneath I took a dremmel tool with a cut off wheel and started cutting at the latch cover, hoping to find what gave way to leave the latch ineffective. I needed the hatch accessible in case of flat tire.

The second photo shows some holes that did no good. Turns out all the hardware of the latch run down the middle. There is tab in the center beneath the part of the latch that rotates down and aft when the handle side is pulled up. This tab pushes into a slot and against a metal shaft that opens the mechanism. I think because the bar along which the latch pivots got a little bent out of shape, the tab and shaft became misaligned.

The hole in the third picture faintly shows the shaft that I was able to realign just enough with a screwdriver so that the latch functioned one last time. With the hatch door out of the car the mechanism in its entirety can be removed by screws from beneath. For now I have just an opening to grab to open the hatch and will look to replace the mechanism.

My 2000 528iT just passed 200,000 miles on the odometer...with, at present, no warning lights on the dash. Quite a feat with the nearest stealer 500 miles away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw latch1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	543828   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw laatch2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	543829   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwlatch3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	543830  
Advertisement

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search