Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i W/O CDV
Throttle Hesitation at take-off in 1st causing stalling

Hi all,

I've been recently experiencing a hesitation in the throttle only at take-off (in 1st gear, not that I ever take off in 2nd). I'm very experienced at driving a manual (double clutch at every downshift sort of experience - lets hopefully not get into a discussion of why, I just do it because it feels right!).

Having said that, I'm 100% sure its not my driving style or lack of skill in take-off. I've noticed that once in a while, I'll go to take-off and the revs drop too far and the car stalls. I almost always take-off at 600-800 rpm. I never have to get the revs above 1k in order to go. In these seemingly rare but rising frequency occurrences the revs just drop way too far. I'll usually let it stall and take off as normal. Once in a while, I can give it lots of throttle (2.5k) and it will "catch."

Quick relevant vehicle summary: 2004 325i M54 5sp. DISA replaced 5k ago. Needs fuel filter change - Long overdue. AFE lifetime panel filter installed. I did notice while changing tranny fluid that my giubo is toast - threads showing. I'm wondering if there is too much "play" in the drive-train that is "absorbing" all of the twist while taking-off not allowing the wheels to reach an engine matched speed.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Los Angeles BMWCCA Member#415991
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
At such low revs, you`re relying on the kinetic energy stored by the flywheel to overcome the car`s entire weight and get it rolling. (Colder weather adds to the resistance) This is asking a lot, unless you`re pointed slightly downhill. Try giving it a little more throttle....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-26-2013, 02:29 PM

Thanks Bob! I definitely understand and agree that it is asking a lot. It just seems out of the ordinary as it worked just fine at those low ranges in the past. To your point about weather affecting as well, I did start to notice it towards the winter months - but then again, I'm in sunny southern California!

Do you think the bad giubo theory holds any water?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Replace your VANOS seals. I have seen this on more than one occasion. They will restore the torque you lost and likely cure your issue. Only $60 if you are handy with a wrench.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM

Thanks smolck. I was really hoping it wasn't that or the CCV - but I know your experience with these cars and I'll trust that it may be that.

I am relatively handy... How would you compare difficulty versus OFHG or VCG, or DISA (all of which I've done)? I'll search DIY's for it too and assess for myself, but it would be nice to know your opinion as well.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinojosa View Post
Thanks smolck. I was really hoping it wasn't that or the CCV - but I know your experience with these cars and I'll trust that it may be that.

I am relatively handy... How would you compare difficulty versus OFHG or VCG, or DISA (all of which I've done)? I'll search DIY's for it too and assess for myself, but it would be nice to know your opinion as well.
You can't compare it to DISA. DISA would be way too easy.\
You can't compare it to VCG either because VANOS DIY includes the VCG DIY. You will do the VCG again with VANOS
I think it is pretty much at the same level with OFHG...
Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM

Follow up: Replaced/rebuilt the VANOS seals and cleared up this issue.