Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
HELP! - X3 battery replaced - engine light on

After a few "slow" cranked starts in this recent cold weather, I thought it was time to replace the 6-year-old battery in my 07 X3. I picked up a Group Size 48 with 730 CCA at Sams Club (my original battery said 720 CCA; the indicator was black, for insufficient charge) and put it in myself within a few minutes of disconnecting the old one, hoping to avoid having to re-do radio favorites and blue-tooth pairings. I started her up and immediately felt a rough idle. The brake (yellow) and 4x4 lights were on. I thought a short ride might help things to sort out. The brake and 4x4 lights went out almost immediately, but the car was running very rough and then the "service engine soon" light came on. I turned right around and tried turning the car on and off a few times in my driveway, to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? From everything I read here, a battery change should have been simple... I'm thinking of disconnecting the new battery and letting it sit for a few minutes.

Thanks for any help!

Charlie
07 X3 6MT/silver-gray/sand-black/sport/premium/xenon/heated/privacy

Last edited by DrummerMan; 01-27-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions out there???
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 BMW X3, '04 330xi
Your symptoms are perfect indicators of a low battery. Its new, so two things to check in order to get a better diagnosis, what is the battery voltage with the car off? and double check your connections to make sure everything is secure and tight. Do you own a multimeter for checking battery voltage?

Last edited by can0n4; 01-27-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by can0n4 View Post
Your symptoms are perfect indicators of a low battery. Its new, so two things to check in order to get a better diagnosis, what is the battery voltage with the car off? and double check your connections to make sure everything is secure and tight. Do you own a multimeter for checking battery voltage?
+1

I doubt that the batteries on the shelf at Sam's Club all have a fresh full charge.

What does the date sticker indicate?

Re. tight connections - this has been noticed by a few owners on this forum.
Some aftermarket battery posts are thinner than O.E. and may require a cap to get them to mate properly with the X3's clamp.
Strangely, it's just one of the posts - can't recall if it's +ve or -ve.

Those warning lights coming on after a battery change are not unusual, even when the new battery IS fully charged.
And as you found they go out quite quickly.

The SES coming on is unusual.

Might be coincidence and that was going to happen anyway because you have a vacuum leak or some other problem unrelated to the old or new battery.

Or it could be that a sensor or something in the monitoring circuitry got damaged from a spike when the new battery was connected up.

Best to get the codes read, turn off the SES light, and take it from there.

Another similar thread, but not exactly: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=652087
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2004
This from BMW Service sheet I found:

Fault entries in the DME associated with
battery replacement must be deleted.
The power management system is to be
initialized by means of the diagnosis job
"Control_battery_replacement_register."

When battery is low, system is charging it more to compensate the voltage drop. When You replace it whit new battery, now the system is overcharging, voltage is above a level some components can`t handle, and they are shuting down, trowing codes and cousing a rough work. Only BMW dealer can reset that, or You can do it whit BT cable.Here is the link:[URL="http://http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx"]
Old 01-27-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by can0n4 View Post
Thanks, can0n4! I did double check connections -- all secure. I do have a multi-meter and will check the new battery's voltage in the morning.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
+1

I doubt that the batteries on the shelf at Sam's Club all have a fresh full charge.

What does the date sticker indicate?

Re. tight connections - this has been noticed by a few owners on this forum.
Some aftermarket battery posts are thinner than O.E. and may require a cap to get them to mate properly with the X3's clamp.
Strangely, it's just one of the posts - can't recall if it's +ve or -ve.

Those warning lights coming on after a battery change are not unusual, even when the new battery IS fully charged.
And as you found they go out quite quickly.

The SES coming on is unusual.

Might be coincidence and that was going to happen anyway because you have a vacuum leak or some other problem unrelated to the old or new battery.

Or it could be that a sensor or something in the monitoring circuitry got damaged from a spike when the new battery was connected up.

Best to get the codes read, turn off the SES light, and take it from there.

Another similar thread, but not exactly: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=652087
Thanks, Supercourse! I didn't think about the new battery having less than a full charge -- never had any problems with that before, having changed many a battery (albeit non-Bimmers) with no issues, but I will check that in the morning. All connections are tight. I was aware of the 4x4 light and as expected, that went out pretty quick. I too am afraid that some sensor was damaged when the new battery was connected. If the battery is not low, and I can't get the car to run better, it's in no shape to drive to my dealer -- will have to get a tow... I don't want that, but may have no choice. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladko View Post
This from BMW Service sheet I found:

Fault entries in the DME associated with
battery replacement must be deleted.
The power management system is to be
initialized by means of the diagnosis job
"Control_battery_replacement_register."

When battery is low, system is charging it more to compensate the voltage drop. When You replace it whit new battery, now the system is overcharging, voltage is above a level some components can`t handle, and they are shuting down, trowing codes and cousing a rough work. Only BMW dealer can reset that, or You can do it whit BT cable.Here is the link:[URL="http://http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx"]
Vladko -- thanks! From everything I have been able to find, the E83 X3 does not require battery registration, so I don't believe this applies to me. But thanks, again!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 AM

I checked the voltage on the new battery and it is ok, 12.15 volts. Calling my SA now... OK, we're using BMW Roadside Assistance (I have about 3 weeks left on my CPO!) and towing it in. He seems to think it's probably a coincidence and not related to the battery. Stay tuned!

Last edited by DrummerMan; 01-28-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
+1

I agree so I never do what I call a parking lot swap of a battery. I buy it, take it home, and give it a full charge first. It's very hard on an alternator to bring a low battery up. In the industry it's called alternator death. Most new alternators have a tag on the positive post warning about it.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerMan View Post
I checked the voltage on the new battery and it is ok, 12.15 volts.
12.15 volts is low - only about 50% charge.

Normal reading of a healthy battery on the bench is 12.6 or a bit higher.

I would either get it slowly charged up (at 2 amps. or so) or return it.

Still not necessarily the cause of all the problems, but not good for the alternator as pointed out, or the X3's sensitive electronics.

A fully charged battery should read about 12.6 volts. If the battery reads 12.4 volts or less, it is low (discharged) and needs to be recharged.

Battery Voltage and State of Charge:

12.68v . . . . . . . . . . 100%
12.45v . . . . . . . . . . 75%
12.24v . . . . . . . . . . 50%
12.06v . . . . . . . . . . 25%
11.89v . . . . . . . . . . 0%

(NOTE: these readings are at 80 degrees F. Battery voltage readings will drop with temperature roughly 0.01 volts for every 10 degrees F.)
(At 30 degrees F. a fully charged battery will measure about 12.588 volts, and at zero degrees F it will measure about 12.516 volts.)

Last edited by Supercourse; 01-28-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Supecourse, you called it earlier (as did my SA) -- it was a coincidence! I had a bad ignition coil, cyl #5. With my CPO, towing was covered and the repair cost me the deductible, $50. All is well and I'm a happy man again, and the X3 is running like the champ it is! Only three weeks left on the CPO... :o(

Thanks to all! And thanks, Supercourse, for the info on battery charging!

Charlie
07 X3 6MT silver-gray/sand-black/sport/premium/xenon/heated/privacy