Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-22-2014, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 525
howling/whining from gearbox?

Hi, i recently bought a 525ia, 2005 model, with 217k km on it.

i had some howling from back, and it was the differential, so i changed it, and while there, i also changed the flex disc and middle shaft bearing.

all sounds disapered

but now i have a new sound, it kinda howls/whine when i release the gas pedal, it also howls abit when i put pressure, but only in low gears, cant hear it when in 4-5, but in 1-3 its noticeable.

i have tried putting it in neutral, and the sound is not there while i slow down.
the sound changes as i change gear from 1-2-3 and so on.
but its only there while the car is in motion, while stand still in P or N, its not there.

i can also mention that the sound is more "powerful" at the end of 1st and 2nd gear, and get more silent when it shifts for so to come back again.

it is not the AC, as it is turned off, even tho i have a "whrrrr" in my ac as well. (will change it soon, together with the pulleys and belt)

i have not noticed any hard gear shifts.

now i am afraid the gearbox is giving up on me, which i can not afford as we speak, (a used one cost like $4000 in norway)
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2014, 06:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Hi, i recently bought a 525ia, 2005 model, with 217k km on it.

i had some howling from back, and it was the differential, so i changed it, and while there, i also changed the flex disc and middle shaft bearing.

all sounds disapered

but now i have a new sound, it kinda howls/whine when i release the gas pedal, it also howls abit when i put pressure, but only in low gears, cant hear it when in 4-5, but in 1-3 its noticeable.

i have tried putting it in neutral, and the sound is not there while i slow down.
the sound changes as i change gear from 1-2-3 and so on.
but its only there while the car is in motion, while stand still in P or N, its not there.

i can also mention that the sound is more "powerful" at the end of 1st and 2nd gear, and get more silent when it shifts for so to come back again.

it is not the AC, as it is turned off, even tho i have a "whrrrr" in my ac as well. (will change it soon, together with the pulleys and belt)

i have not noticed any hard gear shifts.

now i am afraid the gearbox is giving up on me, which i can not afford as we speak, (a used one cost like $4000 in norway)
Sounds like the previous owner treated the driveline harshly and didn't change any fluids.

First task is to get the (automatic, I assume) transmission diagnosed, for codes, if any, and to confirm the noise is really coming from the transmission.

Good news, perhaps, is that the absence of hard shifting might mean the mechatronics is OK at the moment.

That said, you may have a worn turbine section and a rebuild is needed (or a new tranny).

If the transmission fluids are original, dump the fluid, pull the filter and inspect them.

With your mileage and the history of your driveline, it might be too late to make much difference, even with new fluid. But draining it and inspecting the filter pan will give you some insight as to the condition. If the fluid is old, has metal in it and stinks, your turbine section is probably cooked. If you discover that's the case, you can try replacing the fluid/filter to see if it helps, but it'll be a temporary fix at best.

Sorry.

But before you leap off the nearest bridge, start with confirming the source of the sound and the last time the fluid was changed.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 525
I have not been able to get under the car to locate the sound yet, but i can inform that today it was kinda cold, like just above freezing, and the howling was not present. It will build up over time and by the 10 min drive to work i could hear it again, but not loud. I will see if there is any error messages, and prob. change the transmission oil. Here in norway we have kind of harsh temperatures, from about 30 degrees C during the summer, to about - 20 degrees C during winter. Now during spring we have like 25-30 ish in the sun, and 1-2 degrees C during the night. In my opinion, these temperatures will make the oil go bad at some point, so i will give it a try, and report back