Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 / 545i
Low coolant 04.545

Message came up coolant low.... do i have to add bmw blue coolant or just put any coolant.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmer App
Ads by Google
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naushad View Post
Message came up coolant low.... do i have to add bmw blue coolant or just put any coolant.

yes ... dont mix ur coolant with other brands. take it to the dealer they will top off all ur fluids for free.. if ur not near a dealer ship Orieleys has Bmw blue coolant....
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Nac

Mein Auto: 535XI, 328I
Dealer uses distilled water to mix with the coolant, I believe.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
A BMW, 7 Series of course

Mein Auto: LS460
It honestly doesn't matter. Look at the ingredients in BMW oil and then in any other oil and they are practically identical. I compared it to oil that I use in JD tractors and they were only .01 away on the mixes. Just another way to take some more money.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW750IMMIA View Post
It honestly doesn't matter. Look at the ingredients in BMW oil and then in any other oil and they are practically identical. I compared it to oil that I use in JD tractors and they were only .01 away on the mixes. Just another way to take some more money.
Hmmm,,,, so wat ur saying is...Peak,, Prestone... GM.. and Bmw coolants are all the same.? no difference.. in chemicle addatives ?? only difference is color...???
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM
New to BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
You can top off with distilled water until you can get ahold of acceptable coolant.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM

I call my bmw mechanic.....he told me to add any coolant as long they are premixed. I ask him what is the difference he said only an ugly colour.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Many think the common coolant pipe leak is more common on cars NOT using BMW coolant. Use BMW's coolant.

You can add distilled water in the mean time until you can get some more coolant assuming you're not replacing gallons..
Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Many think the common coolant pipe leak is more common on cars NOT using BMW coolant. Use BMW's coolant.

You can add distilled water in the mean time until you can get some more coolant assuming you're not replacing gallons..
ive only used bmw coolant.. just did my second coolant change at 90,000,,, and so far no leak.. would not want to chance that one....didnt know not using bmw coolant is more common on the pipe leak...
Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I call my bmw mechanic.....he told me to add any coolant as long they are premixed. I ask him what is the difference he said only an ugly colour.

it would b good to find out wat the difference is.. if any,,
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW750IMMIA View Post
What are the ingredients listed on the container? Oil?

No oil blender, and I say oil blender because many manufacturers of motor oil (ex. - Royal Purple, Amsoil) do not refine oil. They buy base stock (if we limit our discussion to PAO Group IV synthetics) from one of the big refiners like Chevron Philips or Exxon-Mobil. Base stock usually represents about 80% of the oil by volume.

Then they buy additive chemicals from those and other companies and blend them in a lab until they get a good balance for what they are trying to achieve.

NO oil manufacturer will tell you exactly what is in their oil. That is a trade secret. About the best the average guy can do is first look on the car manufacturer's list for approved oils, and then within that group pick an oil that best fits your driving habits and environment.

Tractor oil will not be the same as BMW oil (Pennzoil Euro full synthetic) or any other oil on the LL-01 approved list.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:

For a couple of bucks difference use the BMW coolant. You can buy it mail order if you don't have a dealer near by.

Use distilled water in an emergency temporarily but watch how much water you have to add, and don't wait long before addressing the leak, then bringing the mix of coolant and water back to the 50%/50% ratio.

Being North of the Border, at this time of year if you get your ratio of coolant to water too low you could freeze the block.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM

So ,,, does anyone know the difference between bmw coolant vs other brands ,, besides color ??
I would asume there is... and I reckon,,,,, that bmw coolant specs are higher than other coolants do to higher performance engines

Last edited by H F; 01-23-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM

The E60 engines blocks and most components are aluminum.
Minimizing corrosion (aluminum oxidation) is the goal in the choice of cooling liquids and their regular maintenance.

This article explains the three basic types of coolants and which type is right for which engines.
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/C...ntifreeze.html

Are there phosphate free coolants available in national auto chain stores that are as good as the BMW coolant? Probably. Is it easy to research which ones are for sure? No. Would I risk trying one and being wrong? No. Therefore I recommend spending a few extra bucks for a known entity.

Fully draining and replacing your coolant every two years is as important as using BMW coolant.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Good info Bimmerfan ! ... hope op didnt mix coolants,,, and give this info to his mechanic....
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 PM

I check local store for pricing run $16 -$20.... i stop at BMW they are $ 22.80 so didnt take a chance

Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
I would be more worried about the leak you have!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 AM

Mein Auto: 545
Bought my coolant at the dealer & some distilled at the grocer and went on down the road.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i; 2010 550i
BMW anti-freeze is phosphate free. Phosphates cause aluminum oxidation. As long as you are using phosphate free anti-freeze, you are o.k.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
BMW anti-freeze is phosphate free. Phosphates cause aluminum oxidation. As long as you are using phosphate free anti-freeze, you are o.k.
Most of nowadays coolant is phosphate free bc 90% engines are aluminum.
Phosphate free coolant doesn't prevent oxidation it just keeps it under control and that film stays intact vs regular coolant melts it
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
Actually, the reason most European manufacturers use phosphate-free coolant has to do with the hardness of the water in Europe. Although all manufacturers of both automobiles and coolants recommend mixing coolant with distilled water, they also realize not everyone will do it. The phosphates in coolant will cause the minerals to precipitate out of hard water and collect on internal surfaces.

All coolants are glycol alcohol based, primarily ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. In formulating coolant, similar to formulating motor oil, coolant manufacturers start with a glycol base (like oil manufacturers start with base stock) and then decide on the addition of additives to the glycol to inhibit corrosion, prevent precipitation of metals and resist the formation of antifreeze "goo" which is typically the precipitation of silicates or metals that can clog internal passageways and inhibit the transfer of heat from internal engine walls to the coolant to be carried to the radiator for cooling.

Used with distilled water, modern phosphate based coolants (that do not contain borate) can do as good a job at protecting an aluminum engine as non-phosphate based coolants. Again, mixing hard water tends to cause precipitation of minerals so phosphates are avoided by European manufacturers.

European manufacturers tend towards OAT additive technology or Organic Acid Technology (neutralized organic acids) to protect engine internal metal and rubber parts instead of phosphates. This type of coolant causes an initial controlled thin layer of oxidation to form on aluminum, which provides protection to further oxidation. Hard water minerals tend to precipitate less.

The rub comes in if different coolant types are mixed. The additives in the different types of coolants can react with each other and European non-phosphate coolants can actually cause silicate additives to drop out of phosphate based coolants, and turn the coolant mixture into a gooey sticky soup.

Bottom line: If emergency top off is required and BMW coolant or equivalent are unavailable, use distilled water only unless desperate (middle of desert with only tap water available). Use great caution if large amounts of water are added to the system that would cause the ratio of glycol to water to fall so low that the block could freeze in cold weather. As soon as possible have the leak repaired, flush the system and add BMW coolant and distilled water to bring the system back up to spec.

Like oil, some additives in coolant are sacrificial, and once used up cease to perform their protection on the internals of your engine. Every two years, regardless of mileage, flush the system and add new coolant and distilled water to the appropriate ratio for your climate.