Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 11-28-2013, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 735i
1990 735i

Went out to my car this morning,pushed the gizmo to unlock things,nothing, ok thought I would try the key, nothing, "whats up Doc" is my battery flat?????.If flat how do I open the doors????
Need some help here anyone please......Total
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/7-ser...tery-flat.html
'98 740i
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 11-28-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: dont
On older BMW's if the battery goes dead, you can unlock the door. It is better to use a non remote key. Turn key to unlock until it stops. Then turn the key some more. When I first ran a crossed this I called the dealer. the service manager said " Turn the key until you think it's going to break, and then keep turning." I'm sure if you get midieval on it, it will break. I have also heard of other ways to supply power to the car, but they didn't sound like something I wanted to try.

I have used this trick on at least 5 BMW's that were deadlocked with dead batteries.

I hope this helps
Old 11-29-2013, 12:07 AM

Thanks for that....I have tried but frightened the key will break...will try again tomorrow morning....Thanks for the reply and I will post the results.....Total
Old 11-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Talking

Like I said ,I would report back....Well went out to the car this morning, did the turn the key trick while I had another person work the door remote, and up she popped, amazing....Thanks for your help and hope this may be useful to another 7 series owner,,,,it does work.....When I did check things out I found that I had left the park lights on...Total
Old 12-01-2013, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1/88 735i (E32)
tatal3nz - that's not hard to do with these cars - I have an odd one that sometimes in parking the car the emergency 4 ways turn on - thankfully I notice as I walk away from the car - but if I didn't I'd have a very flat battery by morning (and you can't jump start an auto - and even if this was the manual - it's too heavy to be pushing around...).