Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 318is
fuel guage issue

hey guys newbie here ! i have a 95 318is love it but recently fuel gauge will either read empty or a half tank one or the other\; i ve cahnage sending units and the actual fuel gauge too both new and still reads the same half tank or empty any help would be great thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Might I ask how you changed the fuel gauge? I was certain it was part and parcel with the cluster.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 PM

it was simple took the 5 torque screw out of the back of the cluster then there is 3 tlwist locks to turn and 3 screws to remove it all took about 10 minutes to re n re
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 AM

bump plz
Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
there's a short in the wiring. the fuel gauge works by reading electrical resistance in a circuit. if you have a break or a short in one of the wires it will constantly give an improper value to the computer and thusly your fuel gauge will read the wrong way. Some cars fail at the empty mark, as that is a safe bet to assume you're always on E, and sometimes they fail to the middle, or at max value. I'm nearly certain you have a problem in the circuit between the mechanical gauge and the fuel sender in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Audi, mustang gt
Bad parts

Or you got a bad sending unit, check it with a multi meter