Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 2006
Air baf recall malfunction

the dealership tells me that the battery cable to the air bags needs to be replaced and is not under warranty $800.00 Airbags will not function until cable is replaced. This is the third time I have had the car to the dealership and now they say the alert is caused due to faulty battery cable.

Can I replace this myself? without issue?
Ads by Google
Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Are they talking about the negative battery cable, which has an explosive charge on it that goes off in an accident, or is this actually related to the airbags?

It sounds like the dealer did a bad job explaining it and you did not completely understand what they are trying to replace.

What is the issue you brought it in for in the first place?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
You can replace the cable yourself; however, airbag light needs to be reset by the dealer [or someone with right equipment].
After replacing that cable, if the problem is not fixed, you can't hold the dealer accountable, if you replace the cable.
Did you pay for the diagnosis at the dealer?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2006
Control module fault/

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Are they talking about the negative battery cable, which has an explosive charge on it that goes off in an accident, or is this actually related to the airbags?

It sounds like the dealer did a bad job explaining it and you did not completely understand what they are trying to replace.

What is the issue you brought it in for in the first place?
BATTERY CABLE RECALL

C/S Passenger seat warning.
Dealer response:
FAULTY 9B2D FOR BATTERY SAFETY TERMINAL, BATTERY SAFETY TERMINAL CONTAMINATED FROM FAILED BATTERY.

SOME HISTORY
C/S PASS SET WARNING ON DASH
VERIFIED CONCERN. CONNECTED BATTERY CHARGER TO VEHICLE AND PERFORMED DIAGNOSTIC WITH ISID. FOUND SBSR FAULT 95B8 FOR SEAT OCCUPANCY DECTOR. FOLLOWED TEST PLAN AND WAS PROMPTED TO REPLACE SEAT OCC DETECTOR. REPLACED PASS SEAT OCCUPANCY AND INITIALIZED NEW DETECTOR. DIACODE; D6577 00000000 57 002.

0061560300 B61 14 12 BATTERY CABLE CONNECTION
BATTERY CABLE RECALL
INSPECTED BATTERY CABLE PER SIB. INSTALLED NEW TERMINAL COVER W/GREASE

ALL OF THE ABOVE WAS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

NEXT DAY
Car would not start
Inspected battery and there was acid and corrosion filled the entire box in car...called the service mgr and explained issue. Said we needed new battery $375+2 yr warranty

Declined as I wanted an interstate battery with a 7 yr warranty.

Removed battery and clean the corrosion and replaced with the Interstate battery.

All was well other than the PASS SEAT RESTRAINT MALFUNCTION LIGHT WAS ON AGAIN.

4 WEEKS BEFORE I
Returned to dealership and states as above. FAULT 9B2D FOR BATTERY SAFETY TERMINAL.
BATTERY SAFETY TERMINAL CONTAMINATED FROM FAILED BATTERY.

DETAILS SFZ 9B2D SFZ: CONTROL-module fault or short circuit, safety battery terminal.
DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE RESULTS:The following is stored in the fault memory:
Control-module fault or short-circuit at safety battery terminal.

Possible cause(s) of fault:
corrosion on safety battery terminal
Vehicle center satellite

Advised to replace battery cable $800.00. CABLE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY
I declined at this time.

How do you see this issue? I thought the battery cable was part of the RECALL and should be covered by BMW.
Not sure how to proceed.
Thanks

Last edited by espressomio; 02-06-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO