Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post
Interesting thread; I am going to change out my transmission fluid in the next few weeks. At 60k miles it seems that this will be considered preventive maintenance.
You should reset adaptations as well via INPA. Too many people don't do this step.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Vapiano's Avatar
Vapiano Vapiano is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 155
Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
You should reset adaptations as well via INPA. Too many people don't do this step.
schpenxel, can you please elaborate on this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,531
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Do you know which version you were using when you had issues and what they upgraded you to? I am at V36 right now.
i dont know.. but i was wondering that.. i defitnatly need to know..i had it done bout three years ago. i will dig up my paper work and see wat it is... Is V36 the latest version ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
i dont know.. but i was wondering that.. i defitnatly need to know..i had it done bout three years ago. i will dig up my paper work and see wat it is... Is V36 the latest version ?
I have a copy of the full V41 files. If I remember correctly that's the latest "full" update.

I just haven't had the nerve to risk my transmission computer and tried upgrading it, lol. It would be easier to risk if I had a backup car to drive just in case.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post
schpenxel, can you please elaborate on this? Thanks.
First, are you familiar with what INPA is?

Basically these transmission can/will adapt to the oil that is in them, driving style, etc. Changing a significant amount of the fluid changes the fluid properties faster than the computer is designed to adjust to. The transmission computer memory "adaptations" can be reset back to original settings where it can re-learn how to change gears based on the new fluid properties.

On mine in particular when I changed the fluid the first time I had some pretty bad jerking/bucking in 5th gear after doing it--I thought my transmission was a goner. I reset the adaptations with INPA and it fixed itself for the time being. I had to replace some solenoids a few weeks later, but that was a separate issue.

I have read in a few places that people not resetting adaptations after changing fluid is thought to be a common reason people think these transmissions fail after a fluid change.

I have also read that there is a way to reset the adaptations by holding the accelerator on the floor for 30 seconds with ignition at on (engine off). Personally this never did squat for me, so I would recommend you not go this route.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM
brtweir brtweir is offline
Registered User
Location: Vernon Hills
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
I just got a 2010 528xi two days ago and I am experiencing that slight shutter while coming to a stop, the car is still under warranty so maybe I will check to see if there is a software update that I need for my car. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks to those posting on the forum
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 AM
JOHNNY2271 JOHNNY2271 is offline
Registered User
Location: NEW YORK
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: E60 530I
So I went to my shop today to check out for leaks and the Adapter where the o-ring are and all he found was that the tranny pan had a little leak but nothing Critical or Severe where I had to change it ? The problem is still there after i left the shop. My next step is to try the Software update? If anyone got a better idea I'm all ears, I can't take this jerking when coming to a stop anymore. Thanks for everyone time here. John
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Frenchyrider267 Frenchyrider267 is offline
Frenchy
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
Mein Auto: 2004 525i
I believe it was previously stated that u may just need to fill to optimum levels then reset adaptions
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Frenchyrider267 Frenchyrider267 is offline
Frenchy
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
Mein Auto: 2004 525i
I could be wrong.... I may have read that on a different thread or forum...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Both are cheap/easy to do, so I would recommend trying them.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Vapiano's Avatar
Vapiano Vapiano is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 155
Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
First, are you familiar with what INPA is?

Basically these transmission can/will adapt to the oil that is in them, driving style, etc. Changing a significant amount of the fluid changes the fluid properties faster than the computer is designed to adjust to. The transmission computer memory "adaptations" can be reset back to original settings where it can re-learn how to change gears based on the new fluid properties.

On mine in particular when I changed the fluid the first time I had some pretty bad jerking/bucking in 5th gear after doing it--I thought my transmission was a goner. I reset the adaptations with INPA and it fixed itself for the time being. I had to replace some solenoids a few weeks later, but that was a separate issue.

I have read in a few places that people not resetting adaptations after changing fluid is thought to be a common reason people think these transmissions fail after a fluid change.

I have also read that there is a way to reset the adaptations by holding the accelerator on the floor for 30 seconds with ignition at on (engine off). Personally this never did squat for me, so I would recommend you not go this route.
I was not familiar with the term INPA, I bought my 545i this past December. I joined this forum to learn more about the car. My previous BMW was a 1988 325i (manual), the car was basically flawless when I sold it two years ago.

The 545i drives like a dream except for the occasional back an forth shifts between 5th - 6th and the delay when selecting reverse. I rarely drive between 35-40 mph, so the shifting is not a big issue for me. But if $400 in solenoids will fix the problem, I will get it taken care of.

My mechanic just told me he could reset the adaptations after the swap. Thanks for all the relevant information you have provided.
__________________
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,531
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY2271 View Post
So I went to my shop today to check out for leaks and the Adapter where the o-ring are and all he found was that the tranny pan had a little leak but nothing Critical or Severe where I had to change it ? The problem is still there after i left the shop. My next step is to try the Software update? If anyone got a better idea I'm all ears, I can't take this jerking when coming to a stop anymore. Thanks for everyone time here. John
BMWoem1.. offered to update ur tranny for F. R .E. E ,, free !! I would jump on that offer like yesterday .....go take him a case of beer,,,, and look him up. and update ur tranny ......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
JOHNNY2271 JOHNNY2271 is offline
Registered User
Location: NEW YORK
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: E60 530I
lol, I'm pretty sure he said for a fee and not free. All in all I call him today and talk to him on the phone and seem to be a very nice guy. I'm meeting up with him tomorrow morning at his job so he can check the car out for me and hoping it will be fixed. Keeping my fingers cross.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY2271 View Post
So I went to my shop today to check out for leaks and the Adapter where the o-ring are and all he found was that the tranny pan had a little leak but nothing Critical or Severe where I had to change it ? The problem is still there after i left the shop. My next step is to try the Software update? If anyone got a better idea I'm all ears, I can't take this jerking when coming to a stop anymore. Thanks for everyone time here. John
Adapter is inside the tranny and if it leaks it leaks internally. To see it you need to drop the pan and valve body!!
Sw update is a waste of time and money
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Frenchyrider267 Frenchyrider267 is offline
Frenchy
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Schpenxel, I've been searching for the latest update (V41?) could You email it to me Ina zip file or something? If not, do you know of a reliable place on the Internet that I can download it?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,531
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY2271 View Post
lol, I'm pretty sure he said for a fee and not free. All in all I call him today and talk to him on the phone and seem to be a very nice guy. I'm meeting up with him tomorrow morning at his job so he can check the car out for me and hoping it will be fixed. Keeping my fingers cross.
oopps !! ha ha he did say fee .. LOL... my bad
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Adapter is inside the tranny and if it leaks it leaks internally. To see it you need to drop the pan and valve body!!
Sw update is a waste of time and money
Wrong. There is an oil seal between the valve body and oil pump that can leak internally, but it isn't prone to failure

The mechatronics sleeve seal failing will be visible from outside the transmission

Last edited by schpenxel; 01-29-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyrider267 View Post
Schpenxel, I've been searching for the latest update (V41?) could You email it to me Ina zip file or something? If not, do you know of a reliable place on the Internet that I can download it?
It's way too big to email.. several GB

Just googling the file name for what I have I found this.. This is probably your best bet:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t-1611132.html
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
JOHNNY2271 JOHNNY2271 is offline
Registered User
Location: NEW YORK
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: E60 530I
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Adapter is inside the tranny and if it leaks it leaks internally. To see it you need to drop the pan and valve body!!
Sw update is a waste of time and money
This morning i had my car on the lift and was able to take the adapter out without taking the pan or valve body off. The adapter was dry and there was nothing showing that it was wet on it? so i dont think it was leaking.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY2271 View Post
This morning i had my car on the lift and was able to take the adapter out without taking the pan or valve body off. The adapter was dry and there was nothing showing that it was wet on it? so i dont think it was leaking.
Cool you could take the adaptor out without removing the pan??? Really??
Well, then start learning what mechatronik adapter is, mechatronik sleeve is not removable without dropping the pan bc it has a clip you have to pull down in order to release the sleeve!!! Mechatronik adapter is between valve body and tranny pump.
So what did you take out??? A connector I guess??
Go to realoem and start learning, it's never too late
I'll give you a 1000$ if you remove adapter without dropping the valve body))

Last edited by SFbay; 01-29-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Frenchyrider267 Frenchyrider267 is offline
Frenchy
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
It's way too big to email.. several GB

Just googling the file name for what I have I found this.. This is probably your best bet:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t-1611132.html
Holy crap! I've been looking for this for the longest time . I feel like a huge amount of weight was just lifted off my back. If you were in Hawaii, I would be on my way to your place with a case of beer. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 AM
pcy pcy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,336
Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
Electrical connector [to the trans] can be disconnected without dropping the pan. I think this is what JOHNNY2271 is saying.
Sleeve is attached to the body of trans and can only be removed after pulling on the clip AFTER dropping the pan. Electrical connector plugs in the sleeve from outside the pan.
Adapter is entirely different.

[some] people are mixing the words Electrical connector, sleeve, adapter.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 AM
JOHNNY2271 JOHNNY2271 is offline
Registered User
Location: NEW YORK
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: E60 530I
Thank you PCY that what i meant to say. And sorry if SFbay if you took it the wrong way ? but all in all i'm here to seek info and not offend anyone. Thanks for everyone time here.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Cool you could take the adaptor out without removing the pan??? Really??
Well, then start learning what mechatronik adapter is, mechatronik sleeve is not removable without dropping the pan bc it has a clip you have to pull down in order to release the sleeve!!! Mechatronik adapter is between valve body and tranny pump.
So what did you take out??? A connector I guess??
Go to realoem and start learning, it's never too late
I'll give you a 1000$ if you remove adapter without dropping the valve body))
I'll get it out for $1000

It just might be in pieces.

For anyone reading this in the future, let's get this straight:

Below is the mechatronics seal adapter. It goes between the oil pump and valve body. It cannot be seen without completely removing the mechatronics/valve assembly. It does not commonly fail, and you will not lose any fluid if it does, but your transmission will do weird things (at best). It should be replaced any time the valve body is removed from the transmission, as even a small leak here can have huge consequences.



Now, below is the mechatronics SLEEVE that everyone has trouble with (old and new, seals have changed). This can be seen outside of the transmission when the wiring harness is removed. It keeps fluid in the transmission while letting the electrical connectors through. The second picture is where it actually ends up in the car (valve body/mechatronics is removed obviously). Third is how it looks with electrical connector still connected






Last edited by schpenxel; 01-30-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,292
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyrider267 View Post
Holy crap! I've been looking for this for the longest time . I feel like a huge amount of weight was just lifted off my back. If you were in Hawaii, I would be on my way to your place with a case of beer. Thanks!!
If you'll fly me out there I'll bring the beer,

I forgot all about that page too so I'm glad I found it--I'm downloading a lot of those files now just to have just in case
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms