Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-29-2013, 01:56 AM
From DownUnder

Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Heat Vapor - Related to Radiator?

Hi guys, although I am thinking this could not be a problem, but then again I am not sure about it. I have two questions and it maybe related to radiator coolant, not sure. So, please read a little background to understand what I did, and hopefully nothing wrong. I was trying to fix the faulty Auxillary water pump on my E60 M54 2004 model which was faulty. In the process I drained the old coolant out from engine block (PITA to reach the drain plug) and the radiator. Fresh coolant from Febi Bilstein (BMW OEM) was filled at 50% concentrate. After venting and refilling, I only filled 7.75L into the system.

Question 1: Bentley manual says 10.5L if the engine block is drained, so is the manual wrong or is something wrong with my E60?

Continuing on with second question, well the engine is behaving as normal sitting on 93F when it is on normal temperate and the coolant seems to be doing its job. Here in Australia, it is winter season (South Sydney) with early morning temperatures shown as 12-13 (feels colder). When I start and drive the car for first 5-10 minutes, whenever I stop the vehicle I see vapor smoke from the front grill like what you will blow from your mouth in cold weather.

Question 2: I don't see any other car giving out vapours from the hood, its seems only on mine. Upon smelling, I dont' smell any oil or anything. Is there something else that could be wrong or does this has to do with only taking 7.75L coolant?

P.S. Coolant used was from Febi Bilstein, supposedly the OEM supplier to BMW which is re-badged by BMW.
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2013, 01:03 AM
From DownUnder

Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Okay, I inspected the leak today as over the past few days, I saw a big puddle of coolant leak from the car. When I changed the AUX water pump recently while doing the coolant change, there was spray of coolant originating from one of the pipe connector on the AUX water pump, so I re-fitted it and cleaned, will check again in few days.

But while I was venting the system again, I saw fresh drops of coolant on the two power steering pipes right under the serpentine belt. Also, the part of the wheel/pulley behind the serpentine below (below the water pump pulley) was wet from what seems like water/coolant. Does that mean the water pump is leaking? The thermostat housing was changed about 2 years ago and look in good condition and does not show any sign of leakage. Do water pumps leak from the front at all?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530XI
Look it up on REALOEM, there might be Orings around them pipes that are leaking.