Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: Mustang
When does maintenance get expensive on these cars?

My wife has an F30, and I'm thinking about buying an 07 or 08 335i auto sedan. Probably will be close to 100k miles because I'd like to stay under $18k. I'm into engine mods and racing and would like to eventually get the car into the 11s. With my goals in mind, would a 100k mile car be a wise choice, or is that too many miles?

Last edited by S197; 01-27-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by S197 View Post
My wife has an F30, and I'm thinking about buying an 07 or 08 335i auto sedan. Probably will be close to 100k miles because I'd like to stay under $18k. I'm into engine mods and racing and would like to eventually get the car into the 11s. With my goals in mind, would a 100k mile car be a wise choice, or is that too many miles?

Thread title answer: On the day your warranty runs out.

Thread content answer: You play, you pay. No warranty on problems traceable to modded parts.

Long term answer: Expensive if abused, wrecked, or maint not kept up. Bad luck too.

DIY maint dramatically less expensive. You should be spending time here and here.

If going deep, search for BMW CODING forums.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Thread title answer: On the day your warranty runs out.

Thread content answer: You play, you pay. No warranty on problems traceable to modded parts.

Long term answer: Expensive if abused, wrecked, or maint not kept up. Bad luck too.

DIY maint dramatically less expensive. You should be spending time here and here.

If going deep, search for BMW CODING forums.
Thanks. I'm a do it yourself person when it comes to maintenance and mods unless its above my skill/tool level.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Maintenace is not bad but repairs are.

Maintenace is not bad but repairs are
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: ED 330i
At 100k the car will begin to need replacement for many wear items (e.g. water pump, battery. timing belt) plus other parts that just break (e.g. door actuator). If you can DIY you will save quite a bit on labor.

IMO 50k-100k is the sweet spot, somebody else took the hit on depreciation but most of the parts are still good outside of the usual wear items like brakes, tires, etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
You can even have warranty and this car will be expensive.

BMW is replacing my clutch under warranty. I am paying $1100 out of pocket for the flywheel.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
I'd look for owners from here 1st off.

Maybe only a few are like me, but I'd spoil the buyer:
I keep all gas receipts (I staple them and punch a hole in them for the binder overly anal ) 93 all the way!
I keep all paperwork in order by date serviced (even when I do the few months road force balances/ 7500k oil changes)
I keep the temp under 2k rpms until it reaches 200-210 before punching it (I've broken this a few times, but I could still count the times on one hand)
I keep all car wash receipts (although Im' not sure where that stack is at the moment)

My kind of seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
You can even have warranty and this car will be expensive.

BMW is replacing my clutch under warranty. I am paying $1100 out of pocket for the flywheel.
See I'd put performance parts on as they break/need fixing. So like if my FW went I'd get the dual mass lightweight one. If my shocks went or needed replacement I'd put performance ones on (unless I wanted to upgrade suspension as a whole prior), needed breaks I'd get performance ones.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 01-28-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
See I'd put performance parts on as they break/need fixing. So like if my FW went I'd get the dual mass lightweight one. If my shocks went or needed replacement I'd put performance ones on (unless I wanted to upgrade suspension as a whole prior), needed breaks I'd get performance ones.
Oh, trust me, I looked into the DMF from the 1M. I DD my car and am happy with the way it responds so I stuck to the original one.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Oh, trust me, I looked into the DMF from the 1M. I DD my car and am happy with the way it responds so I stuck to the original one.
gotcha
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMX 328Xi
Quote:
Rather than that, just get a rebuilt 2010 or so BMW. My Uncle crashed his and the insurance paid him out. He got a new X5 and he found his same car for sale from copart and bought the car for $12,995. He got it fixed for around $4500 (nothing major in damage) by his indy mechanic that he has been going to for years and gave me the car.

Now granted, I have no warranty or free maintenance ( not sure about this part yet, since I still have not have had the need to service the car), but for $17,500 for a 2011 BMW 328Xi with iDrive w/ 25,000 miles, I'd say that is a pretty good deal.... Look around and see who knows what you might find, just make sure to have it inspected by a BMW dealership.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
11 second cars break things. A 100K mile 11 second car will just break them faster. If I was interested in an 11 second car I would be looking for something other then a 335. If I really really wanted an 11 second 335 I would look for one at 50K miles or better. That being said there are 11 second 135 & 335's up in the 70K mile range but the top level ones have been owned since new so they have been maintained. Buying a 100K car & having no real idea about its history is not a good plan.

2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 01-28-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
At 100k the car will begin to need replacement for many wear items (e.g. water pump, battery. timing belt) plus other parts that just break (e.g. door actuator). If you can DIY you will save quite a bit on labor.

IMO 50k-100k is the sweet spot, somebody else took the hit on depreciation but most of the parts are still good outside of the usual wear items like brakes, tires, etc.
fyi - BMWs don't have timing belts.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
BMWs are expensive. Repairs are expensive the moment the warranty doesn't cover it. Given that, if you are into DIY then you should be good to go. Most of the time I hear "the part is cheap, $50...the labor is intensive...$500" If you are that labor then the repair is cheap.

As I am sure you are aware, prior to installing any mod that will increase stress/heat/etc on the car, make sure to install the safety mod first. For example, if you are installing a mod that makes your car run hotter, then prior to that (or at the same time) install a mod that makes your car run cooler.
Adding a mod that might increase the stress on your car while turning? Then install an upgraded suspension bar so the stress is mitigated some.

Again, if you are DIY, the oil changes/brakes/etc are not expensive.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo.karney View Post
Rather than that, just get a rebuilt 2010 or so BMW. My Uncle crashed his and the insurance paid him out. He got a new X5 and he found his same car for sale from copart and bought the car for $12,995. He got it fixed for around $4500 (nothing major in damage) by his indy mechanic that he has been going to for years and gave me the car.

Now granted, I have no warranty or free maintenance ( not sure about this part yet, since I still have not have had the need to service the car), but for $17,500 for a 2011 BMW 328Xi with iDrive w/ 25,000 miles, I'd say that is a pretty good deal.... Look around and see who knows what you might find, just make sure to have it inspected by a BMW dealership.
Oh that's an interesting point. The maintenance/warranty on these cars are on the CARs not the owners. It doesn't matter if one or 20 owners. It doesn't matter if it was owned by a person or company (e.g., insurance company or junkyard). So the question is - if a BMW was listed as totaled is the warranty still good. Well I imagine there are some rare scenarios where the insurance company wants to total the car but the owner (for some odd reason) doesn't so they keep it.

You should find out if it's warrantied and bring it into the shop on a regular basis. Don't forget to bring your donuts

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
I keep the temp under 2k rpms until it reaches 200-210 before punching it (I've broken this a few times, but I could still count the times on one hand)
I read this as "I abuse my car, but only once in a while. She's still not damaged, badly. Come on, she asked for it. Had to tell her twice and all"

Quote:
I keep all car wash receipts (although Im' not sure where that stack is at the moment)
I read this as "SWIRRLLLLLL / SCRATTCCCHHH CITY!"

Just busting your chops. You really save your receipts? In all honesty, if I were buying from you, that would mean very little to me as far as how much I'd be willing to pay. Min. suggested octane for 335 is not 93. I believe min suggested octane for ///M3 is 93.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 AM

I would be very leery of buying a rebuilt car. There was a reason the insurance wrote the car off. These cars are so complicated, I would be very skeptical of a shop who can properly fix the car at a fraction of the price. Keep in mind rebuilt cars are difficult to insure and are worth 50 percent off their clean title counterparts.

Would you buy a home flooded by a hurricane if they put new walls up and made it look nice?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Would you buy a home flooded by a hurricane if they put new walls up and made it look nice?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
I think when they rebuilt the car the owner looked for more than just a fresh coat of paint and car freshener.

People buy homes that were affected by floods all the time. Rebuilding them is possible, and it's possible to do it perfectly right. Cars are trickier to do.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I read this as "I abuse my car, but only once in a while. She's still not damaged, badly. Come on, she asked for it. Had to tell her twice and all"

Which would be incorrect. I've got 3 turns I've got to make everyday and 2 of them are dangerous and have had to push the car to get through (can't always hold up traffic/ risk being late like I do on most days). Otherwise I'd be saying something like "my cars been repaired by bmw with all OEM BMW parts"

Quote:
I read this as "SWIRRLLLLLL / SCRATTCCCHHH CITY!"

again incorrect . But maybe you can show me where the bristles are on these types of car washes

http://www.necws.com/gallery/medium/8.jpg

Quote:
Min. suggested octane for 335 is not 93. I believe min suggested octane for ///M3 is 93.
lol and who puts the minimum in? Even if you paid an extra .7 cents for 93 and bought 1000 gallons you'd still only be out 700 bucks... Not enough enough for two gucci dress shirts.

Quote:
In all honesty, if I were buying from you, that would mean very little to me as far as how much I'd be willing to pay.
In all honesty if I cared about resale value or worried about getting a few extra k I probably wouldn't be buying BMW's

Last edited by SuperTerp; 01-29-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
good read here

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Timing belt? Can you post a DIY to that? I am wondering what people have paid at dealers too for a timing belt replacement? It should be the same price for all modern BMWs (same parts and labor cost from a lowly 328i to 760iL).

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
I would guess 4-5x what a mustang would cost at 100k miles in parts and labor (if you can't do all yourself).

Shocks, struts, some bushings, shock mounts, engine mounts, water pump (probably already replaced as it's the POS electric pump), fluids (trans/diff/power steering/coolant/brake), trans mounts, spark plugs, coils are things I'd be examining really closely or immediately replacing/repairing.

At the mileage you're looking towards, I'd suggest a 6MT over an auto, but that's just me.