Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: Ml350
Recommended rear seat DVD/cd Player?

As title says, plz give recommendations on rear seat DVD player for the kiddo......17months old.

Thx

Last edited by Rod27; 01-27-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
iPad?

Jay
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Lightbulb

ipad 2?
works amazing
bmw makes a holder as well
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...centerid=76837

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
ipad 2?
works amazing
bmw makes a holder as well
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...centerid=76837
I totally agree. I don't have the BMW holder (I haven't figured out a reason to spend that much on one...), but have one I bought at BestBuy to mount onto the headrest and it works great!

I have a built-in system in my wife's Honda Pilot and wouldn't do anything other than an iPad these days. It's just not worth the money for anything else and given the iPad's screen quality and ease of use, it makes the most sense to me.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: Ml350
Kiddo is 17m so can't hold an iPad consistently yet.....but the holder helps thx
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
I installed this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-5-Inch-TFT...item2a26a59d24

If you are remotely mechanical, you should have no problems. It doesn't come with any clear instructions (it's from China), however, it's fairly straightforward to figure out.

It has A/V inputs, drives IR headphones, AND broadcasts over FM radio. It looks OEM mounted, and matches the car nicely. In fact, I have the BMW installed version in the other car and frankly, you can't tell the difference.

Took about 45 minutes to put in.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod27 View Post
Kiddo is 17m so can't hold an iPad consistently yet.....but the holder helps thx
Obviously, personal preference matters for this sort of thing. For the money, even though the kiddo is only 17m, I'd still go with an iPad mount, even if all you're going to do is play videos for the kid for the next couple of years. (Unless it's going to be something you're using ever day...see my comments below)

The key reasoning for me to say that:
- I haven't bought a DVD/BluRay in years. I buy everything digital so that I can play stuff where/when I want.
- Video quality on an iPad is probably better than anything you're going to get installed.

For reference, this is the unit I bought: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Scosche+...086761&st=ipad car mount&cp=1&lp=2. (I'm sure you can find on eBay and Amazon as well.)

If you go the route of the iPad mount, a couple of key things to keep in mind, from my experience:
- Some of the mounts require you to remove the headrest to mount it. That didn't appear to be a trivial task in the BMW with the power seat capabilities. (The Scosche one comes apart so that the headrest just has to be raised enough to fit it in.)
- Many of them are iPad specific (i.e. For the iPad 1, 2, 3 and 4.). The Scosche one worked just fine for the iPad 1 and 2. (I also have a 3, but have never tried it!)
- It's a tight fit for the iPad2 and I actually had to trim the protective film I had on my iPad so that I wouldn't be fighting it every time I used it.
- It is a bit of a pain if you're going to be mounting/unmounting all of the time. (This would be the key reason why I wouldn't go with an iPad mount, if this were a requirement. It's not for me...My son only uses on longer trips.) The reason isn't so much the car mount, but the Otterbox case that I nornally keep my sons iPad in to handle his daily bumps...The car mount is pretty quick.

In the ideal world, and I haven't researched for 12+ months, there would be a protective case that could be combined with a mount. This sort of product might exist these days...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
I agree with people's sentiment that DVD's are not a likely media moving forward and most things will be digital and on tablets. However, for right now, I use the DVD player AUX input to broadcast the ipad content to the whole car. That way, when there's 5 kids in the back they can listen to (and all see) the same Ipad based movie wearing $15 IR headphones.

Parents are happy listening to the radio. Kids are happy watching TV or movies together and 5 ipads are not required. Plus, there's no wires anywhere to tangle with the hundreds of other things in the back seats with them
Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
I only recommend you to buy headrest dvd from online shops, which will be more cheaper.
My dvd cost me 104 pounds/pc. If you can install it by yourself, you can buy one and install it. http://www.justcardvd.com/products/7...ansmitter.html
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
With the portability of iPads and other tablets.. I'm still amazed people still custom fit rear entertainment systems in the headrest or ceiling...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
I went through this when the kids were pre ipad age. I had car monitors which I could hand on the headrest when we went on road trips... (seriously so you need it every time you are in the car hehe) I had a DVD based system (dvd in the monitor with a second monitor for the second seat). Having a DVD's was such a pain in the A$$ because 10 min in, the boy(s) would want something else and the jockeying of DVD's was a pain. I ended up getting another "monitor" ditching the DVD head unit and getting a Ipod adapter and spliter. I now had 50 movies, no dvd's and could swap movies in like 10 seconds. CD's/DVD's are getting to point to where they are like VHS tapes..
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I'll be the voice of dissent on the iPad option and here's why...

They're expensive to repair/replace when the kids "accidentally" kick the screen and crack it.

You have to download movies/shows on it so unless you have 3G service on it forget about changing the movie on the go (honey, please pull over at the next Starbucks so we can download another movie for the kids).

Space is always an issue. Again, movies have to be downloaded so you can only have a handful of them on there at any given time. Want to change them? Yes, you can delete and put different ones on there but that's where my previous comment factors into the equation.

If you have 2 kids, you pretty much are stuck with having 2 iPads. One kid will want to watch one movie then the other kid will want to watch the same movie which isn't downloaded on "their" iPad but sibling isn't "sharing" the view. This could potentially be fixed by smacking the selfish kid into sharing but then that kid decides they want to play Angry Birds.

See where this is going? Yep, that's what I dealt with on our road trips until I bought the cheapy dual DVD screen player from Target. Got the $17 2yr extended service plan on it. Best investment ever. They've already "replaced" (via a refund gift card which I just bought another one with) it twice. I'm fairly certain these things have a short life expectancy but with the 2yr plan, who cares? Best part? When it breaks I don't have to take my car in for them to fix it.

If you do decide to go the iPad route, 64GB is the only way to go. Of course if you have more than one kid, be sure you're buying the right number of iPad's.
'87 325is
'01 325iT (for sale)
'93 325is (sold-this was the black sheep)
'87 325is (sold)
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
I rip my movies from the DVD an when you convert them, they end up being about 1gb each. There are very simple and easy tools to do this. You can fit about 20-25 movies in a 32gb player. iPod touch work just as well as a iPad for a fraction of the cost. Do you really need an iPad which a large screen?
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500