Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 05 745li
Trunk lift/close fluid

Does anyone know what kind of oil goes in the reservoir for the lifting and closing of the trunk? When I open the trunk it sometimes wants to bopp my on the head. After it fully opens all the way the motor runs and then it will drop a few inches. Has anyone else had this problem or know a way to fix it. I think the Fluid is just low

05 745li, 22" Asanti AF211 B4 Alpine White 22x11,22x9.5.
Ads by Google
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Hydrolic fluid, they sell it at autostores
Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 PM

So its just any standard hydraulic fluid

Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: E65 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd746 View Post
So its just any standard hydraulic fluid
yes ! ATF 95 or something ! nice rims by the way !
Old 02-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Lucky!!!

Hey my 02 745i trunk does not open nor close automatically....everytime i need to open the trunk...i have to hold it....if i need to use two hands....ouch...i see the stars....so many of them... do i need to get new shock (left and right) or just add some oil?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Your control module could be gone. I would check that. It is located in the rear fuse panel. A white box in the upper left.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:57 PM

I hear the noise from the module when i push the red close button. does that mean it works?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
08 Ten 2 8Li

Send a message via ICQ to spec33
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd746 View Post
Does anyone know what kind of oil goes in the reservoir for the lifting and closing of the trunk? When I open the trunk it sometimes wants to bopp my on the head. After it fully opens all the way the motor runs and then it will drop a few inches. Has anyone else had this problem or know a way to fix it. I think the Fluid is just low
I have the same problem, where does the fluid go?
09 Acura RL (Sold)
05 Acura RL (Sold)
04/525i (Sold)
03 Navigator
Old 02-28-2010, 10:06 AM

fluid resivoir located under rear deck right side need to pull off panel in rear of trunk. im going to check that today

Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Rollin' N' Style

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
From another thread:

I don't believe in telling people what they need to do, I just share my experience with the same situation.

My trunk was not going down with just one push of the button on the trunklid, I took out the paneling on the passenger side of the trunk and behind there, I found the reservoir that holds the hydraulic fluid for this to work correctly. I proceeded to take off the two nuts that hold it in place, once I was able to do that, I turned the reservoir upside down so it could be filled. You'll see a lot come back into the plastic cap once you turn it upside down but that's fine, there's still room to add plenty more.

Take a small screwdriver and take off the clamp that holds the clear sump so you can proceed to refill it. Once off, fill it with the correct fluid then place the hydrolic motor back on top. At this point, you should have not spilled one drop and it should be filled to the "max" line on the clear piece. Make sure the band is tight before flipping it back upside down again in order to mount it.

Once you finger tighten the 2 nuts/bolts that hold it in place, close the trunk fairly quickly without locking it and then lift it back up manually and do that 2 to 3 times. This is the way in which I bled the system and thoroughly flushes the fluid all the way through the hydraulic pump. This is SUPER IMPORTANT before you have the pump try to close the trunk on it's own.

Once that's done, you should be able to open the trunk all the way, push the button and it should work perfectly. If not, continue to open and close the trunk so it bleeds the setup and gets all the air out.

Hope this helps... I actually found someone on this site who did a write up on this and I couldn't find it so I figured i'd type it out again with what I did. Good luck with the fix.

lendog-
98' Mustang

:: Past Rides ::
03' BMW 745Li (Sold)
03' Mustang Cobra (Stolen)
03' Landrover Discovery (Sold)

Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM

the guy i got my 7 off just took the fuse out when it stopped lifting on its own ! i did as you described and happy days ! this was over a year ago !
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
THEMANAGERCO88

Mein Auto: 745i
You can also use ATF. That's what I used, then I found out my left strut or lifter was leaking. Sounds like an easy fix huh? Well no, I had to buy the shock plus the attachments for 3 bills. The dealership here in Hawaii is unforgiving.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by themanagerco88 View Post
You can also use ATF. That's what I used, then I found out my left strut or lifter was leaking. Sounds like an easy fix huh? Well no, I had to buy the shock plus the attachments for 3 bills. The dealership here in Hawaii is unforgiving.
at least you live in hawaii

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to GKT33
Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattrain View Post
From another thread:

I don't believe in telling people what they need to do, I just share my experience with the same situation.

My trunk was not going down with just one push of the button on the trunklid, I took out the paneling on the passenger side of the trunk and behind there, I found the reservoir that holds the hydraulic fluid for this to work correctly. I proceeded to take off the two nuts that hold it in place, once I was able to do that, I turned the reservoir upside down so it could be filled. You'll see a lot come back into the plastic cap once you turn it upside down but that's fine, there's still room to add plenty more.

Take a small screwdriver and take off the clamp that holds the clear sump so you can proceed to refill it. Once off, fill it with the correct fluid then place the hydrolic motor back on top. At this point, you should have not spilled one drop and it should be filled to the "max" line on the clear piece. Make sure the band is tight before flipping it back upside down again in order to mount it.

Once you finger tighten the 2 nuts/bolts that hold it in place, close the trunk fairly quickly without locking it and then lift it back up manually and do that 2 to 3 times. This is the way in which I bled the system and thoroughly flushes the fluid all the way through the hydraulic pump. This is SUPER IMPORTANT before you have the pump try to close the trunk on it's own.

Once that's done, you should be able to open the trunk all the way, push the button and it should work perfectly. If not, continue to open and close the trunk so it bleeds the setup and gets all the air out.

Hope this helps... I actually found someone on this site who did a write up on this and I couldn't find it so I figured i'd type it out again with what I did. Good luck with the fix.

lendog-
Thats good info bro, thanks, I didn't know that!!
02 745LI "Titanium Gray Metallic" Heated/Cooled Seats, Soft Close Doors, Comfort Pack..Recent Upgrades..ATL Autosport Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Akenbono Pads..128's(Wac) fitted with 245/35/21-285/30/21 Hankook Ventus...Garax (6000k) HID Headlight Bulbs...MTEC R Dash Angel Eye Bulbs..H&R Springs...JleviSW Carbon Fiber Door Post's...MTEC HID MT402 Cosmos Blue White FLB..BTUM 8000 Bluetooth Upgrade..RAD Wheel Locks..MK 4 DVD Nav upgrade..Iridium plugs
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 PM

today is the day

I came home early today..decide to fix my trunk...took 15 min to just take out the trim...finally i see the pump you guys talked about...took it out no oil.....not even one drop...went to the CVS..bought ATF (last one)..came home take out the reservior cause i don't have tools to open the damn funny looking bolt...put some oil...put it back all..finally i see my trunk move just little (fisrt time since i bought this car) took out the reservior add more oil...put it back...moved little more...got excited...what the f.. took out reservior again add more oil...my trunk autimatically open just half way...still happy...if i open manually and i press red button it close automaticaly...i spend 3hours for this ....

Now my question is 2003 7 has different hydralic pump system installed cause this one (2002) has too many problems..i heard.. in this case...do i have to replace the pump or need to buy new very expencive shock (this case just left side)??

Help guys..

Last edited by umbcumcp; 03-03-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to GKT33
Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattrain View Post
From another thread:

lendog-
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbcumcp View Post
I came home early today..decide to fix my trunk...took 15 min to just take out the trim...finally i see the pump you guys talked about...took it out no oil.....not even one drop...went to the CVS..bought ATF (last one)..came home take out the reservior cause i don't have tools to open the damn funny looking bolt...put some oil...put it back all..finally i see my trunk move just little (fisrt time since i bought this car) took out the reservior add more oil...put it back...moved little more...got excited...what the f.. took out reservior again add more oil...my trunk autimatically open just half way...still happy...if i open manually and i press red button it close automaticaly...i spend 3hours for this ....

Now my question is 2003 7 has different hydralic pump system installed cause this one (2002) has too many problems..i heard.. in this case...do i have to replace the pump or need to buy new very expencive shock (this case just left side)??

Help guys..
Did you try manually bleeding the pump?
02 745LI "Titanium Gray Metallic" Heated/Cooled Seats, Soft Close Doors, Comfort Pack..Recent Upgrades..ATL Autosport Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Akenbono Pads..128's(Wac) fitted with 245/35/21-285/30/21 Hankook Ventus...Garax (6000k) HID Headlight Bulbs...MTEC R Dash Angel Eye Bulbs..H&R Springs...JleviSW Carbon Fiber Door Post's...MTEC HID MT402 Cosmos Blue White FLB..BTUM 8000 Bluetooth Upgrade..RAD Wheel Locks..MK 4 DVD Nav upgrade..Iridium plugs
Old 03-04-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbcumcp View Post

Help guys..
there should be a + sign on the side of the resevoir ! if the fluid is not above that level (basically full to the brim) you'll get what you describe ! considering you had no function at all , suggests that your going in the right direction don't you think !??
Old 03-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Swaynesworld

Mein Auto: 750Li
Trunk

For what its worth. Don't forget to check the switch in the middle console, there is a switch located inside if slid over will lock the truck, only the key will open the trunk lid. I made the mistake of switching it to locked and it took two days to figure out what I did!

"Religion sucks"
Mark Driscoll
Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li; 2000 328Ci
Saw some pictures of this pump:
http://www.xolmatic.com/xprojects/XE65/D_Maletero.htm

but when I went to find mine, it just wasn't there! HELP!

My trunk opens but not all they way, its just short of opening all the way. Where is my pump

Oh, in case it helps, my car is a 2003 745Li
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	225572  

Last edited by Kizmo; 04-10-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
my 2006 750li has the similar issue. the lid opens when I use remote, or button in driver's side but can't close when I push the button again. It makes some noise when the button is pushed but do nothing. took it to the dealer and was told the hydralic pump issue and needs to be replaced.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
When you say "can't close when I push the button again" are you talking about the red button on the trunk lid or the button on your remote? The remote and dash buttons only open it on an '06, you have to push the red button on the trunk lid to close it.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Rollin' N' Style

NOT ALL 02+ 7 SERIES HAVE FLUID/PUMP.

My 03' Li just has Trunk Struts which i just had replaced :-)

It opens by itself (but obviously there is no button to close it, as it only has springs/struts not a motor/pump to pull it back down)
98' Mustang

03' BMW 745Li (Sold)

Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li; 2000 328Ci
Good point fattrain. I took a closer look earlier and there are stuts and springs or something like that. How much did that cost you to have them replaced?
Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Rollin' N' Style

My buddy is a bimmer tech and just threw them in for me with no labor and his cost on each strut was like 80$ or something??
98' Mustang

03' BMW 745Li (Sold)

Old 04-20-2010, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: E46 325i
It could be your hall sensor. Have that checked. Is it not bent in any way or pressurised, etc. There are 8 segments through which the process of opening/closing the trunk takes place and these segments are identified by the sensor.