Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
2002 e65 745i NO SPARK after engine swap

I had an engine go bad on my 745i so i purchased a running motor and swapped it out. now i can not get any spark on the replacement motor when its installed. is there anything i am missing? everything is plugged in and it cranks over normal, good fuel pressure, but no spark? can a sensor cause this? any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
something is not pluged in . check all the plugs. also is your engine cpu working. make sure everything is grounded.

Last edited by irokdastar383; 01-14-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
+1. Check all the small plugs on the DME...I missed one plug a while back and had the exact same symptoms.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
are you using a manual to get the old one out and the new one in? if so go backward threw the steps and see if something you missed. like i said make sure you grounded everything .also back track the power supply to the coils and see if something is missing. hope you get this solved
Old 01-14-2011, 03:42 PM

I am pretty sure the ECM is functioning as all the gauges and check engine light seem to cycle correctly when attempting to start. As far as the DME, what is and where is that? A control module ? the engine has all grounds connected and tight, turns over like a champ, JUST NO SPARK.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 PM
BMW Driver

Send a message via Skype™ to bghubr
Mein Auto: 2011 activehybrid 7
Check to make sure you plugged the crank sensor in. If this is not plugged in you will get a no spark situation.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 PM

ok, i just replaced the Crank Sensor thinking maybe it was bad. Still NO spark situation. I have power to the coils, but i guess its not getting the signal to create the spark. Does anyone know if the ECM is Engine specific or needs to be reprogrammed to the new motor? i see it has a VIN number on it. I have been testing and trying everything and it makes no sense there is no spark. Is the next step to replace the ECM, or am i just pissing money away troubleshooting this thing?
Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM
BMW Driver

Send a message via Skype™ to bghubr
Mein Auto: 2011 activehybrid 7
Clear all the codes and try to start the car. Then recheck codes.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:38 PM

codes cleared from ecu, (none stored) but there is an airbag fault cause someone thought they were fancy and tried to steal it. So i am not sure how to clear the airbag light.?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: E65 735i, Ducati1199
Check the DME module for immobiliser faults. You may need to re align the EWS and DME modules. Sounds like an immobiliser issue. If the key codes are not recognised then the car will turn over but not start.
This can be done with DIS or INPA
if you have it.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 PM

I have the INPA software but am waiting on the cable to connect. Can you tell me the procedure to program the Key Codes? i have never used this software yet but am anxious to learn it.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 04:10 PM

Problem solved. It was a software issue all along. i have a mechanic friend with a V30 Autoboss scanner and we had to run a synchronization command on the DME and as we turned the 745 over it fired right up. Thanks for all the assistance.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Hi,
I have a similar issue, did you mean that after clearing the code, it started fine? My SBSR is also having issues to the fuel pump, no voltage and I jumped the fuel pump but couldnt get it to start. Please advise.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nida.dilo View Post
Hi,
I have a similar issue, did you mean that after clearing the code, it started fine? My SBSR is also having issues to the fuel pump, no voltage and I jumped the fuel pump but couldnt get it to start. Please advise.
you have been told multiple time's to buy a new SBSR .
STOP BUMPING EVERY TOPIC asking the same thing !!!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 PM

Hi Paper,
I am doing the reading on the forums. I was told to replace the IVM earlier and did so but didnt help. Then the battery and it didnt help. I am not sure if its the SBSR or Crankshaft sensor. and thats why I was asking at multiple places to diagnose the issue. Also replacing the SBSR would need programming and I dont have the software yet.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:08 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Hi Paper,
I am doing the reading on the forums. I was told to replace the IVM earlier and did so but didnt help. Then the battery and it didnt help. I am not sure if its the SBSR or Crankshaft sensor. and thats why I was asking at multiple places to diagnose the issue. Also replacing the SBSR would need programming and I dont have the software yet.

Come on dude , you have already figured out it is the SBSR
You been asking in every topic why it would go out & not
power the fuel pump . Nothing is unbreakable , things go out
all the time . Buy the new SBSR & have the dealer code it
( cause I'm 100% sure if you try to do it you will be in here asking for detailed instructions . )
& your not going to get detailed instructions , It is not a simple
task & even those with the correct software have damaged new modules .

just go buy the part new & have your local dealer do the work .
it will save you a lot of headaches & time .
Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 PM

ok I got you, only puzzle i had is when I supplied 12V (directly) to the fuel pump it still wont start. I could smell the gas. I am curious if the crankshaft sensor is the first place I have to look into. I also read the pouring some gas though the intake will help ignite the engine, but no luck.
I guess I will stop asking questions on the forum as I am annoying others.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
ok I got you, only puzzle i had is when I supplied 12V (directly) to the fuel pump it still wont start. I could smell the gas. I am curious if the crankshaft sensor is the first place I have to look into. I also read the pouring some gas though the intake will help ignite the engine, but no luck.
I guess I will stop asking questions on the forum as I am annoying others.

YOUR SBSR IS OUT IT IS NO GOOD IT DOES MORE THEN SUPPLY
CURRENT TO THE FUEL PUMP !!!

it is common sense even if you supply 12v to fuel pump your SBSR is out
& the car will not start ...
Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Hi,
I replaced the SBSR and still no luck. Fuel pump does kick in but no spark on the spark plugs. The RPM niddle moves to roughly about 150RPM meaning the crank shaft sensor should be reading correctly.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Hi,
I replaced the SBSR and still no luck. Fuel pump does kick in but no spark on the spark plugs. The RPM niddle moves to roughly about 150RPM meaning the crank shaft sensor should be reading correctly.

Did you replace it with a new or used 1 ???

Did you have it coded & programmed to your car ???
Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745LI
Dme

Where can i send my dme to get repaired