Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
replace body hardness and all modules if not you need to removed all connectors check all the crimps of pins and replace all of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI+BMWtek View Post
replace body hardness and all modules if not you need to removed all connectors check all the crimps of pins and replace all of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
As I understand it, this guy is a BMW master tech. (I think...I like his posts and inputs..thx).

OP- when you have two dissimilar metals- like when a copper wire is crimped into a metal pin in a connector, and salt gets in their, it will cause corrosion due to moisture in the air and galvanic action- over time this corrosion causes the contact to become intermittent when the actual copper looses contact with the metal in the crimp, essentially 'insulated' by the corrosion.

This is why people have posted that 'freshwater might be OK'...the salt is like metastatic cancer, it can crop up later unpredictably.

What is challenging, you can undo the connector and it looks good- but you need to look into the actual crimp on each wire in each pin of the connector....

A
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

OLD THREAD ALERT....

Huh. Wonder what happened to this guy/car?

Any bets?

Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
Well the X5 was not as bad as I expected. Once I took the seats and door panels out an started following the wiring from the battery and changed modules coming in the way, rear fuse modules, lift gate module, fuel pump module, motors and modules for the front seats, windows(front and rear), front fuse panels and the main power module, engine module(under hood), spark plugs and wires. It came back to life except the main headlights which I knew needed the modules too.
Before I could put all back together, and start the 5 series an exporter offered 30K more for both as is, and i let it go!!
He shipped them to middle east I guess..
Since the vehicles were totally brand new it was not as hard or complicated as most people/experts here suggested. Most IMO had never opened a car before.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

wow, that was fast. Thx for the update.

Getting the car running isnt the hard part- having it run for 5 years without issue is the trick...and that we dont know from your experience
Old 05-03-2014, 09:45 PM

Thats true. But Most of the body and parts are coated pretty good. Open connections, seat and door motors, and modules sustain most damage in a salt water flood.With all the seats and door panels, and carpeting out, cleanup is pretty thorough. Only thing I could not red rid of in my few days of restoration was salt residue on the aluminum in the engine.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 PM

Also except the main fuse boards, and power supply module, other modules from older E70's(like lift gate, door, seat motor modules etc) worked fine
Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
was the net flip a profit?

That sounds good if its a profit

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!