Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Difference between DS/comfort and D/sport mode?

For driving around downtown Seattle, I typically leave it in D/comfort mode. Only on hills to I switch into manual mode. However, because there is more than one sport mode, I'm wondering what the real difference is between DS/comfort and D/sport mode?

Remember, my last car was a 2003 325xi where DS mainly meant a sportier shift selection (no modification to throttle response that I recall). Maybe I just answered my one question.

D/comfort: normal shifting, normal throttle
DS/comfort: sportier shift points, normal throttle
D/sport: sportier shifting, sportier throttle
DS/sport: same as above?

It's all of these subtle differences I have yet to figure out. Being in the city limits my play time a bit. I've got to get out more into the mountains with my X3.
Ads by Google
Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
I've always wondered the same thing. For example, what's the difference between D/sport and DS/sport? Are they essentially the same? Does anything actually change when switching from D to DS when it's already in sport? Other than the manual mode, I can't see a difference.

Makes me wonder if I should set sport mode to not adjust the drivetrain and only do the chassis, so D/sport will be chassis, DS/comfort will be drivetrain, and DS/sport will be both. But then it makes me wonder if I would be missing something?

I have just enough OCD that these questions drive me crazy haha.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi Coupe
I have no clue. I was wondering the same thing about DS/Sport v. D/Sport. I did notice that when I am in Sport and go from D to DS it downshifts.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
And weirdly in DS you can't select reverse but when you press the Sport button you can. Why?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
That one's actually less weird, when you're in DS the shifter is moved over so moving it up is used for shifting instead of selecting N or R.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Sport mode button have a more aggressive throttle map than the DS mode, and the sport button also tighen up the steering as well. DS mode will shut off the auto start stop, ASS, while the sport button does not.