Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: mazda miata
Looking at first bmw

Well I am in the process of switching from a two vehicle life style down to one and found myself looking at a 2010 bmw 328i with xdrive and 26k miles (we get plenty of snow in these parts to justify awd).

The numbers were good on everything and the car looked and drove well. We reached a tentative agreement and the car went to detailing and such to be ready for the final sale. In the process of such apparently I was told their was an error code that came up which they say was caused by a cylinder misfire. its now been a few days and they working on clearing it up and hope to have it done today or tomorrow.

Is this an issue that can sometimes come up and is just a time taker to solve or is this a signal that major woes lay ahead down the road? I mean its still under factory warranty for another 11 months which is good but should I be concerned about this thing and walk from the sale?

Last edited by Zeaken; 01-28-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Wouldnt think it would be an issue, if they clear the code and it happens again, then probably an issue to take care of. to me that would not be a deal breaker
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeaken View Post
Well I am in the process of switching from a two vehicle life style down to one and found myself looking at a 2010 bmw 328i with xdrive and 26k miles (we get plenty of snow in these parts to justify awd).

The numbers were good on everything and the car looked and drove well. We reached a tentative agreement and the car went to detailing and such to be ready for the final sale. In the process of such apparently I was told their was an error code that came up which they say was caused by a cylinder misfire. its now been a few days and they working on clearing it up and hope to have it done today or tomorrow.

Is this an issue that can sometimes come up and is just a time taker to solve or is this a signal that major woes lay ahead down the road? I mean its still under factory warranty for another 11 months which is good but should I be concerned about this thing and walk from the sale?

What's that code number?

Gas cap on tight?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM

I will try to get the code number out of it to see whats going on. I would be glad to see something so simple as a loose gas cap but considering its day 3 at the dealership i doubt its so simple (This particular one is not a bmw dealership).

Otherwise the carfax looks good. oil changes ever 8-9k (which is high but within what bmw suggests apparently) and was lease.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328IX Sportwagon
I would take the VIN# to a BMW dealer and see what they can tell you about that car. I would also have it looked at by good BMW or Ind place to see if some other things may be hiding! Don't be sorry!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Are they waiting for parts or still have no idea why it is misfiring?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Are you getting a warranty with it?

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM

They believe the thing has to be reset itself by driving x miles over varying speeds to cause it to go away. that obviously has not worked so now they are trying to dig further. I am waiting back on the salesman for the error codes yet.

edit: it comes with the remainder of the bmw factory warranty which has a bit over 11 months left on it.

Last edited by Zeaken; 01-28-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
They believe the thing has to be reset itself by driving x miles over varying speeds to cause it to go away. that obviously has not worked so now they are trying to dig further. I am waiting back on the salesman for the error codes yet.
Codes clear based on a number of drive cycles. I haven't determined exactly what consitutes a drive cycle but it is something along the lines of off-on-drive-off sequence. And most codes do not clear on a single drive cycle. However in order for a code to self clear the measurement that cause the code to be set has to come back into specification. That's done either by manually fixing the issue or whatever thing caused it to fall out of specification has disappeared.

Cylinder misfire codes tend to be more of a concern than other codes as a misfiring cylinder could mean unburnt fuel is being passed to the catalytic converter which will damage it. However usually that particular cylinder is shut down to avoid this situation. Which makes the engine run rough as it's no longer firing on all cylinders.

I wouldn't let this code be a concern but I would take it to a more qualified shop. They should know all about codes and how they're set and how to clear them. Since the vehicle is under warranty what about taking it to a BMW shop?

Last edited by sunny5280; 01-28-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM

The code was a p0306.

It ended up hitting the bmw location which did clear the code and apparently all is well now.

edit: the dealer blamed it on the rapid transition from 60+ indoor weather to below 0 exterior weather when the car was being test driven. not sure if thats true or bull, i lean towards the latter.

The car did not also experience any rumble or rough start up often described when using these types of failures. if it failed once and then started running again does the code still stick until cleared?

Last edited by Zeaken; 01-28-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
The code was a p0306.

It ended up hitting the bmw location which did clear the code and apparently all is well now.

edit: the dealer blamed it on the rapid transition from 60+ indoor weather to below 0 exterior weather when the car was being test driven. not sure if thats true or bull, i lean towards the latter.
I don't buy that explanation at all. That's a misfire on cylinder six. I wouldn't be surprised to see it return.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
The numbers were good on everything . . . .

There is no need to be concerned about any "known problem" with single cylinder misfires, especially one that occurs under warranty. However, your bigger concern may be the combination of an expiring warranty, need for shared reliable transportation and budget concerns.

First, unless one of the "numbers" included in your "numbers were good in everything" statement included costs for repairs and maintenance, you may want to rethink your decision to purchase a used BMW about to go out of warranty and included maintenance. The cost of repairs and maintenance outside of warranty can be quite pricey. Do your homework.

Second, the consensus seems to be a well maintained late model 3 series is of above average reliability and longevity. But many problems cannot be handled by a local garage and may require independent BMW shops or a dealership repair shop. Something as routine as changing the oil may not be something that can be done at the local Jiffy Lube, which may not have the right kind of oil or may not know how to reset the oil service indicator message. This may result in repairs or maintenance that may not done conveniently, which may in turn result in having the car unavailable for a few more days.

Good luck.

Last edited by Wihelm G; 01-28-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM

maintenance is always a concern for any vehicle and for the 3 series to sit above average is a good thing. Being a patron of roads that have so much salt that they can turn any color car into a hue of white I am familiar with things burning out as they age as the average vehicle in these parts rarely lives without major problems in excess of 10 years. I am lucky enough to have a skilled mechanic and a few indy shops around the area that know bmw's and probably expect to see about a 25% on average hike over parts i have poured into other vehicles over the years.

In your experience does the bmw warranties tend to pay off?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
In your experience does the bmw warranties tend to pay off?
OE and CPO warranties are simply the best I've ever experienced. Not only do you get your car competently repaired, but you get the great dealer service (most often a late model loaner car). As for after market warranties, the consensus seems to be not a good investment, but do the research and decide for yourself.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
HKD

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Titan Silv Red
I'm selling my cpo because with cost of maint it's cheaper to lease brand new under wty and maint. If I had it paid off I would keep it but maint is not cheap.

2013 e92 335i Titan Silver Corral Red
6MT Prem Nav M Sport Comft Access PDC HK Sound Fire Seats