Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 86 635,87 M6,2000 528it
I now have the intake manifold off. Very visible plastic cooling pipes.
The upper one is dog poop brown. Considering the car has lived in Dallas Texas for
The last 8 years, I think I got my money's worth. By the way, both plastic pipes
come equipped with the needed orings. I can see that the firewall side of the coolant
pipe is leaking at the junction of the rubber heater hose. I see no reason not to remove
the intake for his job. It opens up the entire drivers side of the engine.

I plan on changing out my starter also and it is a snap with the intake off.
I feel these 5 series cars are iffy on cooling systems from the factory.
Living where I do, there is no room for error on a marginal cooling.

I can take pictures if someone needs them.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530ia
Update:

I finally got the 2 coolant pipes replaced this week, but she's still leaking, so we'll try again next week when I'm off from work. On the bright side they also did my CCV, associated hoses, and the air mass meter boot, which had a huge tear. That must have been why I couldn't accelerate smoothly. The ends of the 2 pipes were so brittle I could crumble them between my fingers like chalk. There was always a flat spot and the engine would sort of hunt for the correct rpm after each shift. Now she's as smooth as glass. I had also ordered a new disa, but it wasn't delivered in time, and I didn't want to pay their price for the unit. Guess I'll just pop that sucker on when I get a chance. If it wasn't for coolant issues this car would be absolutely perfect in every way. Thanks again for all your help!

-Mike
Tan interior w/black dash,black parcel shelf, black front seat backs, black speaker covers, black floor mats, black door card tops, black Euro armrest, black door pockets, black M5 footrest | Bilstein sports | H&R sport springs | M5 rear sway bar | DDM 6000K Fogs | M5 rear lip spoiler | Ipod DICE kit | AFE Pro Dry air intake | 18" Beyern Mesh wheels | Umnitza FX-R headlights 55W w/Orion V2 Halos | Black grill & Shadowline Window Trim | Silver gauge rings | rear cup holder delete | 191K miles

Last edited by mike530ia; 02-22-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike530ia View Post
Update:

I finally got the 2 coolant pipes replaced this week, but she's still leaking,

-Mike
From the new pipes?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530ia
Possibly, probably, but I won't be sure till next friday. It's times like these I really wish I had a backup E39 in the garage.
Tan interior w/black dash,black parcel shelf, black front seat backs, black speaker covers, black floor mats, black door card tops, black Euro armrest, black door pockets, black M5 footrest | Bilstein sports | H&R sport springs | M5 rear sway bar | DDM 6000K Fogs | M5 rear lip spoiler | Ipod DICE kit | AFE Pro Dry air intake | 18" Beyern Mesh wheels | Umnitza FX-R headlights 55W w/Orion V2 Halos | Black grill & Shadowline Window Trim | Silver gauge rings | rear cup holder delete | 191K miles