Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 09-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
M vs Non M sport Exhaust

Have read several threads about the 650 M sport exhaust, and listened to some clips.(Southern for one) Just wondering if anybody has actually determined if there is a design difference between the systems in the sport vs non sport
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Yes, they are different exhausts. I had my M sport next to my friends non-M and we started the cars- there was no comparison. Both cars were fully warmed up from a long drive.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
There is a huge difference. When I built my car, I was under the impression that there was no difference, but I got the M Sport Package anyway because of the aesthetic changes. I got really lucky. I've driven several non-M Sport convertibles, and the exhaust is very tame. I spent several hours in these cars between my test drive and my PCD, and both times I left with a feeling of either apathy or disappointment regarding the noise. I was pretty disappointed in the sound when I took my test drive, but I figured it was just BMW's way of saying this car is geared toward an older, more mature buyer who prefers a comfortable, quite, luxurious coupe. The non-M Sport cars definitely meet these criteria. Add the M Sport, and you still have the same features I just mentioned, but the car is slightly louder in Comfort compared to the non-M cars and a lot louder when you are in Sport. The first time I ever heard an M Sport 650i start from cold was at the dealership right after they released the coupe (and M Sport Package - which wasn't available at the convertible's launch), and there was a "Holy $h!t" look on my face as well as the two CAs standing behind the car when I started the engine. I often use Comfort mode as a "mute button" when I see cops or when I'm driving through a part of town where I prefer to be inconspicuous.

Exhaust noise is subjective, so describing its level of loudness is hard to adequately convey without first hand experience. I've never been an exhaust buff, and I didn't know how much I wanted this M-tuned exhaust until I had it. I would have been content with the non-M if I could live ignorant of the M Sport's superior sound, but I think it would have just about killed me if I heard an M Sport 6er after buying the non-M Sport version. I wouldn't give up my exhaust for anything. For a $100k coupe, I think a decent poo shoot noise is expected, and that is why I was disappointed by the non-M. Don't get me wrong, I think the non-M car is beautiful, and its exhaust is probably loud enough for some people, but I was cross-shopping with the XKR, 911, CLS 63, and C 63 - four relatively sporty cars, and it's hard to beat the sound coming from an AMG's car without paying Aston/Ferrari money.

I know none of the BMW NA press materials, specs, etc. discuss the exhaust upgrade - something you'd think they'd make a point to advertise - but it's definitely one of those things where you'll believe it when you see it... or hear it . Thom also confirmed with a BMW rep a few months back that there are different parts and item numbers for the M Sport vs. the regular 650i.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 09-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Southern,

Thanks for all the details. All I have driven up to this point is 2 non -sport 650's. My dealer e-mailed me yesterday that he has a Tanzanite blue M sport 650 coming in next couple weeks. I will finally get a chance to check out the difference. I also did not realize there was a difference in exhaust sound/volume based on the comfort/sport settings. And it is very interesting that BMW does not mention this anywhere.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: '08 528is, '11 650i Conv.
Parts number are different for M sports exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	340080   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	340081  
Old 09-02-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Southern,

Thanks for all the details. All I have driven up to this point is 2 non -sport 650's. My dealer e-mailed me yesterday that he has a Tanzanite blue M sport 650 coming in next couple weeks. I will finally get a chance to check out the difference. I also did not realize there was a difference in exhaust sound/volume based on the comfort/sport settings. And it is very interesting that BMW does not mention this anywhere.
Yep. Sport mode turns the car into a car deserving of the 650i badge. Comfort is fine, but I pretty much only use it in three situations:
1. Shut the car up when I don't want to draw attention to myself.
2. Trying to keep the tach in the lower RPMs - break-in period, stretch a tank of gas, warning light comes on and I want to keep the stress on the engine to a minumum.
3. Driving others around - specifically, others who couldn't care less about the car so the importance of comfort >> sportiness.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 09-03-2012, 03:39 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
I fall in the "older" category that wants a little more peace and quiet in my life, especially after owning an M3. The M3 had a single mode exhaust and was always on edge. I use Comfort mode a lot more than some, during my work commute, etc. It's so easy to flip to sport when necessary, so I see no point in keeping it there (just my way). I must point out however, that the non-M Sport also has a dual mode exhaust, and while quieter in both modes than the M Sport, it also gets louder in the sport modes, especially under load. It also switches to "loud" in park during a cold start.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 AM

Appreciate the info guys, a 650 is a education with all the options available.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
I don't notice much of a difference between Sport and Comfort on the M-Sport exhaust. If there is a difference, it is subtle. Southern's may be different, but I can't exactly "mute" mine. It sounds good through all the drive modes but never would I describe it as being "loud." Especially not enough to draw attention to myself. Then again, I live in a place where there are a lot of modified cars with loud exhausts. I guess it's all relative.

There is, however, a huge difference between the M-Sport and non M-Sport exhaust. That is not even a question. I've owned both variants for months.

Last edited by Itinj6; 09-03-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Then again, I live in a place where there are a lot of modified cars with loud exhausts. I guess it's all relative.
Just go ahead and say it - I live in a backwards a$$ part of the country in my own little delusional world haha

I know what you mean though. As I said above, "loud" is a subjective term. While I do think it does draw some attention to me, I wouldn't consider it "loud" like a 1995 Honda Civic with an aftermarket exhaust... or "loud" like an Aston's V12, but I have a lot more experience hearing the former than the latter .

Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Thanks for clarifying... I was beginning to think that they toned my exhaust down and that yours sounded like an Italian Supercar.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinj6 View Post
i don't notice much of a difference between sport and comfort on the m-sport exhaust. If there is a difference, it is subtle. Southern's may be different, but i can't exactly "mute" mine. It sounds good through all the drive modes but never would i describe it as being "loud." especially not enough to draw attention to myself. Then again, i live in a place where there are a lot of modified cars with loud exhausts. I guess it's all relative.

There is, however, a huge difference between the m-sport and non m-sport exhaust. That is not even a question. I've owned both variants for months.
+1

If you are deciding between the two, as long as you don't really want Vermillion Red, go for the M-Sport. There really is a huge difference and just too much to list.

2000 328ci White/Tan
2002 330cic Orient Blue/Tan
2004 330ci Silver/Grey
2007 335i Convertible White/Tan
2009 650i Convertible White/Black
2009 M5 White/Black
2012 650i Convertible White/Cream
  • M Sport Package
  • Driver Assist Package
  • Bang and Olefson System
  • Comfort Seats
  • Contrast Stitching
  • Ceramic Controls
  • 20's
  • Active Steering

Last edited by thom.one.two; 09-05-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom.one.two View Post
+1

If you are deciding between the two, as long as you don't really want Vermillion Red, go for the M-Sport. There really is a huge difference and just too much to list.
I missed the V Red part, why don't go for V Red with the M sport package?

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Ahhhh. It's a great color, but not available with M-Sport.

2000 328ci White/Tan
2002 330cic Orient Blue/Tan
2004 330ci Silver/Grey
2007 335i Convertible White/Tan
2009 650i Convertible White/Black
2009 M5 White/Black
2012 650i Convertible White/Cream
  • M Sport Package
  • Driver Assist Package
  • Bang and Olefson System
  • Comfort Seats
  • Contrast Stitching
  • Ceramic Controls
  • 20's
  • Active Steering
Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom.one.two View Post
Ahhhh. It's a great color, but not available with M-Sport.
Sorry, forgot exterior color, I was thinking interior...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: range rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandshin View Post
Parts number are different for M sports exhaust.
After looking at this, the part numbers are not different. The difference is that the M sport cars are VO coded with 377A.

Not sure what the code would change, but my guess would be that the exhaust flaps on the M sport cars open sooner so that you always get the louder sound even at low speeds.

I am out of town right now, but will try to mess with the code on my non msport when I get back to see if it makes a difference.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
After looking at this, the part numbers are not different. The difference is that the M sport cars are VO coded with 377A.

Not sure what the code would change, but my guess would be that the exhaust flaps on the M sport cars open sooner so that you always get the louder sound even at low speeds.

I am out of town right now, but will try to mess with the code on my non msport when I get back to see if it makes a difference.
They are different exhausts. At idle there is a noticeable difference in sound, under throttle it is very dramatic.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post

Look again. The PNs are completely different for both the center box (which I believe creates the sound difference) and the rear assemblies which is probably just due to the color of the tips.