Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 AM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is offline
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,338
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
To those who changed the FUEL FILTER...

Hi, I am planning to change my fuel filter (got it from OEMbimmerparts.com) on my 12 year old E46 (92k miles). While reading some forums yesterday, I realized that some people also replace the 3 rubber fuel hoses plus the 6 clamps (also the vacuum line).
I didn't get any of those parts.

What are my chances that I can complete this DIY without the need of any of those parts?

I plan on doing it today and absolutely no time to order and wait for any parts.
My research showed that 8mm(ID) 13m(OD) high pressure fuel injection line used and Autozone carry the same after market hose. If needed, I can buy it from them (also the clamps) but I would rather use the original stuff.
I am least worried about the vacuum hose since I have many sizes that I can use in my garage.

I have one vehicle only so once I start the job, it needs to be completed.

Would you share your experience if you have gone through this DIY.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 AM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
When I had mine changed (would have done it myself, but I had rotator cuff problems at the time) my car was 5 years old. We reused the original hoses. My opinion is that at 12 years old, you should change yours. Rubber, like everything else deteriorates over time, and with exposure to ozone in the air. As long as you use a quality fuel hose, and not some imported junk, you should be fine. Check out Napa, as they are more likely to carry a good quality hose. As far as the clamps go, get the correct size stainless worm gear clamp. I can't tell you how many times I have seen oversized clamps just screwed down to fit, with a big flap of clamp strap sticking out. Looks sloppy, and is not as strong as the correct size clamp. JMHO
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:40 AM
ahull's Avatar
ahull ahull is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,362
Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
When I had mine changed (would have done it myself, but I had rotator cuff problems at the time) my car was 5 years old. We reused the original hoses. My opinion is that at 12 years old, you should change yours. Rubber, like everything else deteriorates over time, and with exposure to ozone in the air. As long as you use a quality fuel hose, and not some imported junk, you should be fine. Check out Napa, as they are more likely to carry a good quality hose. As far as the clamps go, get the correct size stainless worm gear clamp. I can't tell you how many times I have seen oversized clamps just screwed down to fit, with a big flap of clamp strap sticking out. Looks sloppy, and is not as strong as the correct size clamp. JMHO
I would agree with SJ^ to change that out if you can at this age. The original clamps are a pain in the rear to remove and would be just about as hard to put back on. The head of the adjustment screw is an odd size and the slots in the screw head are designed so you can only turn it one way without a lot of difficulty. I made the mistake of not having replacement clamps on hand when I did mine (4 years ago) and reused the originals and had to battle them a bit to tighten down. Was pretty much calling myself an idiot by the end for not getting new ones. And I have virtually no road salt exposure where I live. At 12 years, they may be corroded enough (even without salt) to shred and crumble when you start working them. I'll be doing my hoses at the next filter change which will probably be in the next few years.
__________________
2003 330i TiAg Sport Pkg ~90k miles
DIY MODS: AA Stage I supercharger, Meyle HD FCAs w Powerflex CABs, Bilstein shocks, Meyle HD Rtabs, Angel Eyes, Clear Corners/Markers w/ LEDs, LED tails, ZHP rims, Akebono pads, AUX input
DIY E46 Merit Badges: Sunroof resurrection, CCV, OFHG, VCG w/ VANOS seals, DISA, Cooling Refresh I, steering giubo, window regs, Magnetic Infandibulator (see wiki)
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 AM
robj213 robj213 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ft Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 745
Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
When I replaced my fuel filter last time (about 2 years ago), the fuel hoses looked in good condition still so I left them on the car. The vacuum hose looked worn, but I didn't have any on hand so I didn't replace them but I will next time.

I would definitely suggest getting new clamps, as the original ones are a pain... so if you are making a trip to the store for new clamps, may as well pick up hoses just in case you need them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2014, 08:03 AM
lgr122 lgr122 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,276
Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Atleast to me it was quite obvious that same pieces of hose can not go back without leaking, rubber was so hard and brittle already, so i bought 1 meter piece of fuel hose (plenty spare) and some clamps which happened to be right size.
You don't have to have every small piece with BMW sticker on it. Just normal good stuff will do what people use in any car.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2014, 08:16 AM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is offline
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,338
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Thank you guys. I will definitely go to local stores today. And it seems I will have to buy both the fuel hose and the clamps.
I am just mad at myself that I didn't check this properly before. I would have ordered everything from Autohaus at once.

SJBimmer, thanks for the advise. I will check NAPA for the fuel hose. I checked the size of those clamps already. They are 12-15mm size clamps. And in case others may need it here is the part numbers:

12-15 mm hose clamp. BMW part # is 07129952104.
High pressure fuel hose (ID=8mm OD=13mm) BMW part # is either 13537563456 or 16121180409
(Part # 13537788347 is discontinued)

So will check the local stores today. If I can't find good quality stuff, then I may postpone this to next weekend; I don't like to push things...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 AM
lgr122 lgr122 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,276
Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Might be that you could survive with old ones, we can't know for sure, but it's good to have everything needed in hand before starting.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 AM
davidmaria1 davidmaria1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: massachusetts
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 182
Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Be careful with the smaller hose where it attaches to the infamous F-fitting. A little silicone spray and a blow-dryer for heat helps.
__________________
THINGS I'VE DONE: Cooling system refresh with radiator, key fob surgery, K&N filter (removed), pulleys and tensioners, ECSTuning aluminum w/p pulley, CCV cold weather, DISA gasket, OFHG, Fuel pump/filter PM, ZF auto trans fluid/filter, motor mounts, fcabs, 2nd trans fluid change, steering guibo
VENDORS USED: ECSTuning, German Auto Solutions, Oembimmer, Amazon, Nationwide Auto Parts (salvage)
BMAauto, Autohausz
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,946
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
It's always wise to stock some fuel line and vacuum line hose, and a variety of good clamps in various sizes for just such an occasion.
__________________
Don't be gormless; get some gorm!
![/I][/FONT]
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 AM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is offline
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,338
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Okay, I checked the local stores. Autozone and O'Reilly couldn't show anything for the fuel hose. They had the correct size but it wasn't saying anywhere that the hose was made for high pressure application. They suggested I should check other stores.

Went to NAPA, they had the same stuff: standard fuel hose rated up to 50 PSI but it clearly says "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS" on it with SAE 30R7 rating. Clearly NOT a match...
I asked the guy if he has anything with SAE 30R9. This was what I read last night. Someone was saying SAE 30R9 is what I needed.
So the guy comes up with a hose that has SAE 30R9 printed on it and it was saying "Fuel Injection Hose 180PSI". I got a foot of that at $6.49 per foot.

I still would like to get the original fuel hose if possible but this is what I was able to find on a Sunday.

I think it should do it. What do you guys say?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-05-2014, 12:03 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,946
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Okay, I checked the local stores. Autozone and O'Reilly couldn't show anything for the fuel hose. They had the correct size but it wasn't saying anywhere that the hose was made for high pressure application. They suggested I should check other stores.

Went to NAPA, they had the same stuff: standard fuel hose rated up to 50 PSI but it clearly says "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS" on it with SAE 30R7 rating. Clearly NOT a match...
I asked the guy if he has anything with SAE 30R9. This was what I read last night. Someone was saying SAE 30R9 is what I needed.
So the guy comes up with a hose that has SAE 30R9 printed on it and it was saying "Fuel Injection Hose 180PSI". I got a foot of that at $6.49 per foot.

I still would like to get the original fuel hose if possible but this is what I was able to find on a Sunday.

I think it should do it. What do you guys say?
If it's the correct diameter, you will be OK.
__________________
Don't be gormless; get some gorm!
![/I][/FONT]
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is offline
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,338
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
If it's the correct diameter, you will be OK.

Oh yeah... The size was the first thing I checked. ID=5/16" it converts to 8mm in metric and the OD is 13mm. I had my caliper with me to measure it at the counter. I also had the new fuel filter in my hands. So the hose goes on the nipples snug. With some silicon oil, it will slide very nicely.

Also bought enough hose clamps to do the job...

Here is the hose I bought http://www.frsport.com/Gates-27348-5...t_p_18645.html

Last edited by iskoos; 01-05-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 PM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Oh yeah... The size was the first thing I checked. ID=5/16" it converts to 8mm in metric and the OD is 13mm. I had my caliper with me to measure it at the counter. I also had the new fuel filter in my hands. So the hose goes on the nipples snug. With some silicon oil, it will slide very nicely.

Also bought enough hose clamps to do the job...

Here is the hose I bought http://www.frsport.com/Gates-27348-5...t_p_18645.html
That is exactly what you need. Glad the Napa tip worked out. Max fuel pressure your car should see from the pump is about 60 psi, so the hose you bought will have a wide safety margin. I would avoid using silicone on the hose to make it easier to slide on though. Just steal a little gas from your mower gas can and wet the inside of the hose. It should slide right on. Silicone will degrade the oxygen sensors, and although you would be using just a small amount, I would not take the chance. It will also make the hose easier to pop off if the clamp is not tightened to the right spec., as it will remain between the hose and the nipple. The gas will evaporate quickly after you slide the hose on. Sounds like you did all the right things, and don't forget to relieve pressure as mentioned in the DIY. Have fun! and ALWAYS have a fire extinguisher close by, and wear safety glasses! Possible gas in eyes will hurt. BTW. if you are removing the regulator hose on the "F" connector to run a new vacuum hose all the way to the front, cut the hose carefully to remove it. If you try to twist it, you may break the connector. A little spit on the replacement hose, and it will slide right on. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:12 PM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is offline
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,338
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
That is exactly what you need. Glad the Napa tip worked out. Max fuel pressure your car should see from the pump is about 60 psi, so the hose you bought will have a wide safety margin. I would avoid using silicone on the hose to make it easier to slide on though. Just steal a little gas from your mower gas can and wet the inside of the hose. It should slide right on. Silicone will degrade the oxygen sensors, and although you would be using just a small amount, I would not take the chance. It will also make the hose easier to pop off if the clamp is not tightened to the right spec., as it will remain between the hose and the nipple. The gas will evaporate quickly after you slide the hose on. Sounds like you did all the right things, and don't forget to relieve pressure as mentioned in the DIY. Have fun! and ALWAYS have a fire extinguisher close by, and wear safety glasses! Possible gas in eyes will hurt. BTW. if you are removing the regulator hose on the "F" connector to run a new vacuum hose all the way to the front, cut the hose carefully to remove it. If you try to twist it, you may break the connector. A little spit on the replacement hose, and it will slide right on. Good luck!
Yes SJBimmer NAPA did it. I haven't used NAPA for a long time so if you hadn't suggested, I wouldn't have gone there.
I started the job in the late afternoon and as I guessed I finished in the night time. I am a slow worker
Everything went alright. As others mentioned, the most difficult part was to remove the fuel hoses from the fuel filter. I was reading here yesterday and someone was saying "try to rotate the hose over the nipple". This tip did it for me. No matter how much I tried sliding the hose out wasn't working. But once I rotated the old fuel hose, everything else was so easy. So I would definitely make this one suggestion to those who plan on doing this DIY: Do whatever it takes to rotate those hoses. Once they are rotated (even a few degrees), they come out easily.
The front hose was in almost perfect shape. It is because it has been hidden under the metal guard. The rear two weren't as good (because the metal guard wasn't covering them) but they could have still be reused if needed.
Anyways, I replaced all the hoses, hose clamps and the little vacuum hose (rubber) that connects the vacuum pipe to pressure regulator nipple. That little vacuum hose was in terrible shape. It literally disintegrated in my hands while trying to remove it.
I did not remove the "F" connector or the vacuum hose that connects to it because I had previously replaced that vacuum hose.
I did not replace the long vacuum pipe/line. I didn't have a replacement and it looked pretty durable to me.

I depressurized the system obviously but not by cranking the car. I had a vacuum pump. I connected it to the pressure regulator and applied vacuum. I heard the valve open and some fuel (in the return line) started moving (must be toward the tank). I then connected a fuel pressure tester to the test port and used the relief valve to get the remaining pressure off.
This may seem more effort than just removing the fuse and cranking the car but I wasn't in mood to do that. The pressure tester gauge was showing zero pressure. But even then when I removed the first hose, some fuel started spraying. I collected close to half a quart fuel. The fuel that came out of the fuel filter was almost black. I have seen this a few more times here. So I wasn't alarmed.
The filter I got from oembimmerparts is exactly the same as what came out of the car: Kayser Type: AK 10-BDE. The only difference was the missing BMW logo.

Well, No leak so far and the car runs fine. I test drove it; unlike some others mentioned, I didn't realize any difference in the way she drives.

I have pictures but don't see any reason to post. There are many pictures about this DIY already. It won't be any different.

Thanks for your comments and tips
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:20 AM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Yes SJBimmer NAPA did it. I haven't used NAPA for a long time so if you hadn't suggested, I wouldn't have gone there.
I started the job in the late afternoon and as I guessed I finished in the night time. I am a slow worker
Everything went alright. As others mentioned, the most difficult part was to remove the fuel hoses from the fuel filter. I was reading here yesterday and someone was saying "try to rotate the hose over the nipple". This tip did it for me. No matter how much I tried sliding the hose out wasn't working. But once I rotated the old fuel hose, everything else was so easy. So I would definitely make this one suggestion to those who plan on doing this DIY: Do whatever it takes to rotate those hoses. Once they are rotated (even a few degrees), they come out easily.
The front hose was in almost perfect shape. It is because it has been hidden under the metal guard. The rear two weren't as good (because the metal guard wasn't covering them) but they could have still be reused if needed.
Anyways, I replaced all the hoses, hose clamps and the little vacuum hose (rubber) that connects the vacuum pipe to pressure regulator nipple. That little vacuum hose was in terrible shape. It literally disintegrated in my hands while trying to remove it.
I did not remove the "F" connector or the vacuum hose that connects to it because I had previously replaced that vacuum hose.
I did not replace the long vacuum pipe/line. I didn't have a replacement and it looked pretty durable to me.

I depressurized the system obviously but not by cranking the car. I had a vacuum pump. I connected it to the pressure regulator and applied vacuum. I heard the valve open and some fuel (in the return line) started moving (must be toward the tank). I then connected a fuel pressure tester to the test port and used the relief valve to get the remaining pressure off.
This may seem more effort than just removing the fuse and cranking the car but I wasn't in mood to do that. The pressure tester gauge was showing zero pressure. But even then when I removed the first hose, some fuel started spraying. I collected close to half a quart fuel. The fuel that came out of the fuel filter was almost black. I have seen this a few more times here. So I wasn't alarmed.
The filter I got from oembimmerparts is exactly the same as what came out of the car: Kayser Type: AK 10-BDE. The only difference was the missing BMW logo.

Well, No leak so far and the car runs fine. I test drove it; unlike some others mentioned, I didn't realize any difference in the way she drives.

I have pictures but don't see any reason to post. There are many pictures about this DIY already. It won't be any different.

Thanks for your comments and tips
Good job man! And thanks for posting back!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms