Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
trans oil

Hi,

While I was under the car, I realized that there were some oil towards the front side of the transmission pan. I wiped it clean to see if it'll drip again. So far its been couple of weeks and I can't detect an oil, at least by eye. However, I'm concerned about the possiblity of tranny failure. The gears work smoothly and there are no slips etc. Should I have it checked? or would I know if the oil level was low in the tranny by means of a check engine light, or tranny acting weird?
Thank you
Ads by Google
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 AM
Ultimate745i

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Not wanting to alarm you too much, but whenever I had Sleeve issues with my transmission, I did same as you and wiped the bottom of pan and thought since I didnt see leakage but once a week or so, that I was gonna be ok. But what was actually happening was, the oil took time to fill the bottom pan before leakage would show up. I've learned that ANY leakage is NOT normal....period! Go get checked before you run out of somehing. Good Luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM

Hmm, but you were seeing new oil leaking right? At least after the car sits for couple days?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Ultimate745i

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Yes it would show new leakge every few days or so in the same spot. I put cardboard down to protect my garage and flipped it around every few days to see when I had new leakage. I'm not saying this is YOUR problem....I'm juzt saying that ANY leakage, water, oil, coolant etc. is NOT normal. Have it checked if you cant pin point it yourself.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks!
So far I havent noticed any new drips, but I'll keep and eye on it and my fingers crossed