Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
iOS 6.1 is out time to try email again!

Ok I am updating my iPhone 5 stay tuned!

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Well?

I gave it a shot.. but I've never been able to get it working before. I have the new NBT Nav. When I sent myself a text from another phone, I here the bleep through the car's stereo, but no notification on the iDrive.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM

OK, I got my regular texts to show up under Office. Despite several attempts, I could not get regular email messages to display in the iDrive.

The only real options I had when receiving texts were for the car to read aloud or forward to another contact in my address book. This is probably old news to all of you. The dictate function was not available to me.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
So what you guys are saying is all those great looking videos demonstrating the use of office apps on bmw website are just a bunch of BS..... ?!? Still? This seems ridiculous. How come they are allowed to advertise and show this stuff when in reality it's just not working at all?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 AM

I will be driving to our Hershey office this morning so I will have plenty of car time to test it. As for as the advertisements on the website they are using a blackberry.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
So what you guys are saying is all those great looking videos demonstrating the use of office apps on bmw website are just a bunch of BS..... ?!? Still? This seems ridiculous. How come they are allowed to advertise and show this stuff when in reality it's just not working at all?

Texting works, it's only email that doesn't.

The BMW solution is already obsolete, no need stressing over it as Apple likely will never support it. Apple takes distracted driving seriously and doesn't want anyone reading while driving. They are spearheading the replacement of the Hands Free protocol with "Eyes Free". See the video starting at the 10:20 mark.

Using Siri, you can hear your texts read to you and you can compose and respond by voice. You can compose emails, hear stock quotes, hear weather forecasts, get sports scores, hear your appointments, create reminders, the works. I use it all the time in my F30 using Bluetooth over the car's speakers and microphone. The only thing missing right now is BMW enabling Siri from the steering wheel 'voice' button. To make Siri work in the car now, you have to press and hold the home button on the iPhone itself. From that point forward You use just your voice amd when done disconnect the session pressing the end call button on the steering wheel.

You need to trust me on this one. I too was looking forward to all of the office features but Siri does a substantially better job and you never have to take your eyes off of the road. When I get an incoming text notification, the press and hold the home button and simply say read text message. Brush up on your knowledge of Siri commands, it's a better use of time than worrying about BMW office integration.

http://www.windowstablet.tv/full-list-of-siri-commands/

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Not to hijack the thread, but as a side note, those that know what they're doing, are interested and have been waiting to upgrade to 6.1, the untethered jailbreak for iOS 6.1 is due out this Sunday. BUT, you MUST upgrade to 6.1 via your computer, NOT over the air. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't mess with what you have.

Last edited by CE750Jockey; 01-29-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Using Siri, you can hear your texts read to you and you can compose and respond by voice. You can compose emails, hear stock quotes, hear weather forecasts, get sports scores, hear your appointments, create reminders, the works. I use it all the time in my F30 using Bluetooth over the car's speakers and microphone. The only thing missing right now is BMW enabling Siri from the steering wheel 'voice' button. To make Siri work in the car now, you have to press and hold the home button on the iPhone itself. From that point forward You use just your voice amd when done disconnect the session pressing the end call button on the steering wheel.
I've been doing the same thing for a while with txt messages. The problem is I communicate in more than one language and receive a lot of txt messages and emails in Polish. Siri can't read that not to mention understand the replies... so as much as I like using it for English it's useless when it comes to the Polish part.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: range rover
I keep a blackberry in the glove compartment just for sms and emails. I have a nexus for my normal phone, once the nexus connects to bluetooth it automatically turns on a wifi hotspot which the blackberry connects to.

I am pretty sure blackberry is the only thing that works perfect with office.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM

Well.. RIM is trying to make a desperate move right now to win back some of the market share with the introduction of the BB10. Who knows... maybe BMW owners will help keep the company alive

Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
You need to trust me on this one. I too was looking forward to all of the office features but Siri does a substantially better job and you never have to take your eyes off of the road. When I get an incoming text notification, the press and hold the home button and simply say read text message. Brush up on your knowledge of Siri commands, it's a better use of time than worrying about BMW office integration.

http://www.windowstablet.tv/full-list-of-siri-commands/

BJ
I'm patiently waiting for the steering wheel command button to initiate Siri...
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
There is zero guarantee that BMW will implement steering-wheel-Siri on the older CIC Nav cars. When Apple did their demo slide (above) it was in a F10, which as of the time of the video, switched to NBT Navigation.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Another failed iOS update. I think I will just live with the text working.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Me too.

I tried all the different combinations today, no luck. Press and hold, double-press, nothing doing. It was promised by Apple that all their car makers would have it "within the year" and that was back in May, so three more months or so and we'll be there.

In the mean time, all of Siri works very well and all one needs is to do the initial press + hold on the Home button. From there, all voice commands do all the work and you press the end call button on the steering wheel to end the Siri session.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM

An interesting nugget here.

Since Siri is all about the iPhone screen going black and since Siri says it will provide driving directions, methinks there's a good chance that Siri will send coordinates to iDrive's nav making it much easier to get where we're going.

BJ

Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
I find the new Google Maps audio instructions blow everything out of the water. The other day it navigated me not just to the street address, but through the maze of a parking lot to the storefront I needed. Simply amazing.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:

An interesting nugget here.

Since Siri is all about the iPhone screen going black and since Siri says it will provide driving directions, methinks there's a good chance that Siri will send coordinates to iDrive's nav making it much easier to get where we're going.

BJ

Based on today's announcement from Honda, I think they chances for Siri Eyes Free integrating into any CIC-based BMW Nav is slim to zero.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/s...-honda-accord/
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Based on today's announcement from Honda, I think they chances for Siri Eyes Free integrating into any CIC-based BMW Nav is slim to zero.

Another reason I think leasing is better these days...
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
At least all of my iTunes match music show up (not just what is local on phone from recent play) when connected in USB now.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Why?

Siri works today with the sole exception of pressing the home button instead of a steering wheel button.

The integration is software-side. BMW merely has to enable functionality for a steering wheel button to start Siri. And then it's just a matter of whether or not to allow Siri to send an address into iDrive instead of the clumsy way we do it now.

BJ

Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Why?

Siri works today with the sole exception of pressing the home button instead of a steering wheel button.

The integration is software-side. BMW merely has to enable functionality for a steering wheel button to start Siri. And then it's just a matter of whether or not to allow Siri to send an address into iDrive instead of the clumsy way we do it now.

BJ

Because, you said it... Siri integration is on the software side. Honda only announced the capabilities for their new Hondalink and Acuralink-enabled cars. These are cars that have the equivalent of the NBT BMW navigation. The latest hardware and software integration. My wife has a 2012 CR-V with Nav/Bluetooth/etc., but it's not getting the Siri integration. Even though it is a brand new model/design, just like the F30. Because it doesn't have the absolute latest "Hondalink" system.

By the end of 2013, almost every car in BMW's line up will have moved away from the CIC Nav. The exceptions being the X6, 1-series coupe/vert, and the Z4. Assuming the hardware/software in the CIC models can even support Siri Eyes Free (and that's a big IF), why spend all the resources to integrate into a platform that is virtually phased-out? Doesn't make sense for BMW.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Because, you said it... Siri integration is on the software side. Honda only announced the capabilities for their new Hondalink and Acuralink-enabled cars. These are cars that have the equivalent of the NBT BMW navigation. The latest hardware and software integration. My wife has a 2012 CR-V with Nav/Bluetooth/etc., but it's not getting the Siri integration. Even though it is a brand new model/design, just like the F30. Because it doesn't have the absolute latest "Hondalink" system.

By the end of 2013, almost every car in BMW's line up will have moved away from the CIC Nav. The exceptions being the X6, 1-series coupe/vert, and the Z4. Assuming the hardware/software in the CIC models can even support Siri Eyes Free (and that's a big IF), why spend all the resources to integrate into a platform that is virtually phased-out? Doesn't make sense for BMW.
I guess my answer would be because of the 4 million cars out there with the existing system and the ability to potentially make some money by charging a dealer fee for a Siri upgrade.

And since much of what BMWs strategy with NBT seems to be is around new revenue sources via paid apps and sideloaded content, stands to reason that investment in the older platform for that purpose would make more money for BMW then waiting for everyone to play catch-up.

If they want to patiently wait three years for a critical mass of people coming out of their leases in order to start this new revenue stream that is up to them, but I would think they'd want to take advantage of all of us immediately.

BJ

Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I guess my answer would be because of the 4 million cars out there with the existing system and the ability to potentially make some money by charging a dealer fee for a Siri upgrade.

And since much of what BMWs strategy with NBT seems to be is around new revenue sources via paid apps and sideloaded content, stands to reason that investment in the older platform for that purpose would make more money for BMW then waiting for everyone to play catch-up.

If they want to patiently wait three years for a critical mass of people coming out of their leases in order to start this new revenue stream that is up to them, but I would think they'd want to take advantage of all of us immediately.

BJ
You assume current CIC hardware can accomodate Siri Eyes Free.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
You assume current CIC hardware can accomodate Siri Eyes Free.
Well, it does right now. The only thing Siri cannot do is:

1. Be initiated with the steering wheel voice button.

2. Send information like an address to nav.

I'm not thinking #2 is very likely, but #1 is a no brainer unless BMW simply doesn't want to do it.

Point is, Siri is working right now. Press + hold the Home button, you can talk to Siri for hours if you want, getting sports scores, weather, reading texts, replying to texts, sending emails, getting movie times, getting restaurant recommendations.

BJ

Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Well, it does right now. The only thing Siri cannot do is:

1. Be initiated with the steering wheel voice button.

2. Send information like an address to nav.

I'm not thinking #2 is very likely, but #1 is a no brainer unless BMW simply doesn't want to do it.

Point is, Siri is working right now. Press + hold the Home button, you can talk to Siri for hours if you want, getting sports scores, weather, reading texts, replying to texts, sending emails, getting movie times, getting restaurant recommendations.

BJ
You are confusing Siri's Bluetooth integration with your car's speakers and microphone with actual interaction with the car.

When you activate Siri, the car treats it the same way it does an incoming call.