Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM
3284me's Avatar
3284me 3284me is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 984
Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
iOS 6.1 is out time to try email again!

Ok I am updating my iPhone 5 stay tuned!
__________________

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Well?

I gave it a shot.. but I've never been able to get it working before. I have the new NBT Nav. When I sent myself a text from another phone, I here the bleep through the car's stereo, but no notification on the iDrive.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
OK, I got my regular texts to show up under Office. Despite several attempts, I could not get regular email messages to display in the iDrive.

The only real options I had when receiving texts were for the car to read aloud or forward to another contact in my address book. This is probably old news to all of you. The dictate function was not available to me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 AM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
So what you guys are saying is all those great looking videos demonstrating the use of office apps on bmw website are just a bunch of BS..... ?!? Still? This seems ridiculous. How come they are allowed to advertise and show this stuff when in reality it's just not working at all?
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 AM
3284me's Avatar
3284me 3284me is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 984
Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
I will be driving to our Hershey office this morning so I will have plenty of car time to test it. As for as the advertisements on the website they are using a blackberry.
__________________

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,099
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
So what you guys are saying is all those great looking videos demonstrating the use of office apps on bmw website are just a bunch of BS..... ?!? Still? This seems ridiculous. How come they are allowed to advertise and show this stuff when in reality it's just not working at all?


Texting works, it's only email that doesn't.

The BMW solution is already obsolete, no need stressing over it as Apple likely will never support it. Apple takes distracted driving seriously and doesn't want anyone reading while driving. They are spearheading the replacement of the Hands Free protocol with "Eyes Free". See the video starting at the 10:20 mark.

Using Siri, you can hear your texts read to you and you can compose and respond by voice. You can compose emails, hear stock quotes, hear weather forecasts, get sports scores, hear your appointments, create reminders, the works. I use it all the time in my F30 using Bluetooth over the car's speakers and microphone. The only thing missing right now is BMW enabling Siri from the steering wheel 'voice' button. To make Siri work in the car now, you have to press and hold the home button on the iPhone itself. From that point forward You use just your voice amd when done disconnect the session pressing the end call button on the steering wheel.

You need to trust me on this one. I too was looking forward to all of the office features but Siri does a substantially better job and you never have to take your eyes off of the road. When I get an incoming text notification, the press and hold the home button and simply say read text message. Brush up on your knowledge of Siri commands, it's a better use of time than worrying about BMW office integration.

http://www.windowstablet.tv/full-list-of-siri-commands/

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 AM
CE750Jockey's Avatar
CE750Jockey CE750Jockey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Not to hijack the thread, but as a side note, those that know what they're doing, are interested and have been waiting to upgrade to 6.1, the untethered jailbreak for iOS 6.1 is due out this Sunday. BUT, you MUST upgrade to 6.1 via your computer, NOT over the air. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't mess with what you have.

Last edited by CE750Jockey; 01-29-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post


Using Siri, you can hear your texts read to you and you can compose and respond by voice. You can compose emails, hear stock quotes, hear weather forecasts, get sports scores, hear your appointments, create reminders, the works. I use it all the time in my F30 using Bluetooth over the car's speakers and microphone. The only thing missing right now is BMW enabling Siri from the steering wheel 'voice' button. To make Siri work in the car now, you have to press and hold the home button on the iPhone itself. From that point forward You use just your voice amd when done disconnect the session pressing the end call button on the steering wheel.
I've been doing the same thing for a while with txt messages. The problem is I communicate in more than one language and receive a lot of txt messages and emails in Polish. Siri can't read that not to mention understand the replies... so as much as I like using it for English it's useless when it comes to the Polish part.
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
djsaad1 djsaad1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: austin
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 704
Mein Auto: range rover
I keep a blackberry in the glove compartment just for sms and emails. I have a nexus for my normal phone, once the nexus connects to bluetooth it automatically turns on a wifi hotspot which the blackberry connects to.

I am pretty sure blackberry is the only thing that works perfect with office.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Well.. RIM is trying to make a desperate move right now to win back some of the market share with the introduction of the BB10. Who knows... maybe BMW owners will help keep the company alive
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
SergioK's Avatar
SergioK SergioK is offline
Donkeybike?
Location: N35 29.359 W119 32.670
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,678
Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You need to trust me on this one. I too was looking forward to all of the office features but Siri does a substantially better job and you never have to take your eyes off of the road. When I get an incoming text notification, the press and hold the home button and simply say read text message. Brush up on your knowledge of Siri commands, it's a better use of time than worrying about BMW office integration.

http://www.windowstablet.tv/full-list-of-siri-commands/

BJ
I'm patiently waiting for the steering wheel command button to initiate Siri...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
I'm patiently waiting for the steering wheel command button to initiate Siri...
There is zero guarantee that BMW will implement steering-wheel-Siri on the older CIC Nav cars. When Apple did their demo slide (above) it was in a F10, which as of the time of the video, switched to NBT Navigation.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
3284me's Avatar
3284me 3284me is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 984
Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Another failed iOS update. I think I will just live with the text working.
__________________

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,099
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
I'm patiently waiting for the steering wheel command button to initiate Siri...
Me too.

I tried all the different combinations today, no luck. Press and hold, double-press, nothing doing. It was promised by Apple that all their car makers would have it "within the year" and that was back in May, so three more months or so and we'll be there.

In the mean time, all of Siri works very well and all one needs is to do the initial press + hold on the Home button. From there, all voice commands do all the work and you press the end call button on the steering wheel to end the Siri session.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,099
Mein Auto: BMW M428i


An interesting nugget here.

Since Siri is all about the iPhone screen going black and since Siri says it will provide driving directions, methinks there's a good chance that Siri will send coordinates to iDrive's nav making it much easier to get where we're going.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 PM
SergioK's Avatar
SergioK SergioK is offline
Donkeybike?
Location: N35 29.359 W119 32.670
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,678
Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
I find the new Google Maps audio instructions blow everything out of the water. The other day it navigated me not just to the street address, but through the maze of a parking lot to the storefront I needed. Simply amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post


An interesting nugget here.

Since Siri is all about the iPhone screen going black and since Siri says it will provide driving directions, methinks there's a good chance that Siri will send coordinates to iDrive's nav making it much easier to get where we're going.

BJ

Based on today's announcement from Honda, I think they chances for Siri Eyes Free integrating into any CIC-based BMW Nav is slim to zero.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/s...-honda-accord/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
sr5959 sr5959 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,440
Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Based on today's announcement from Honda, I think they chances for Siri Eyes Free integrating into any CIC-based BMW Nav is slim to zero.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/s...-honda-accord/
Another reason I think leasing is better these days...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
akaMomo's Avatar
akaMomo akaMomo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 247
Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
At least all of my iTunes match music show up (not just what is local on phone from recent play) when connected in USB now.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,099
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Based on today's announcement from Honda, I think they chances for Siri Eyes Free integrating into any CIC-based BMW Nav is slim to zero.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/s...-honda-accord/
Why?

Siri works today with the sole exception of pressing the home button instead of a steering wheel button.

The integration is software-side. BMW merely has to enable functionality for a steering wheel button to start Siri. And then it's just a matter of whether or not to allow Siri to send an address into iDrive instead of the clumsy way we do it now.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Why?

Siri works today with the sole exception of pressing the home button instead of a steering wheel button.

The integration is software-side. BMW merely has to enable functionality for a steering wheel button to start Siri. And then it's just a matter of whether or not to allow Siri to send an address into iDrive instead of the clumsy way we do it now.

BJ

Because, you said it... Siri integration is on the software side. Honda only announced the capabilities for their new Hondalink and Acuralink-enabled cars. These are cars that have the equivalent of the NBT BMW navigation. The latest hardware and software integration. My wife has a 2012 CR-V with Nav/Bluetooth/etc., but it's not getting the Siri integration. Even though it is a brand new model/design, just like the F30. Because it doesn't have the absolute latest "Hondalink" system.

By the end of 2013, almost every car in BMW's line up will have moved away from the CIC Nav. The exceptions being the X6, 1-series coupe/vert, and the Z4. Assuming the hardware/software in the CIC models can even support Siri Eyes Free (and that's a big IF), why spend all the resources to integrate into a platform that is virtually phased-out? Doesn't make sense for BMW.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,099
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Because, you said it... Siri integration is on the software side. Honda only announced the capabilities for their new Hondalink and Acuralink-enabled cars. These are cars that have the equivalent of the NBT BMW navigation. The latest hardware and software integration. My wife has a 2012 CR-V with Nav/Bluetooth/etc., but it's not getting the Siri integration. Even though it is a brand new model/design, just like the F30. Because it doesn't have the absolute latest "Hondalink" system.

By the end of 2013, almost every car in BMW's line up will have moved away from the CIC Nav. The exceptions being the X6, 1-series coupe/vert, and the Z4. Assuming the hardware/software in the CIC models can even support Siri Eyes Free (and that's a big IF), why spend all the resources to integrate into a platform that is virtually phased-out? Doesn't make sense for BMW.
I guess my answer would be because of the 4 million cars out there with the existing system and the ability to potentially make some money by charging a dealer fee for a Siri upgrade.

And since much of what BMWs strategy with NBT seems to be is around new revenue sources via paid apps and sideloaded content, stands to reason that investment in the older platform for that purpose would make more money for BMW then waiting for everyone to play catch-up.

If they want to patiently wait three years for a critical mass of people coming out of their leases in order to start this new revenue stream that is up to them, but I would think they'd want to take advantage of all of us immediately.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I guess my answer would be because of the 4 million cars out there with the existing system and the ability to potentially make some money by charging a dealer fee for a Siri upgrade.

And since much of what BMWs strategy with NBT seems to be is around new revenue sources via paid apps and sideloaded content, stands to reason that investment in the older platform for that purpose would make more money for BMW then waiting for everyone to play catch-up.

If they want to patiently wait three years for a critical mass of people coming out of their leases in order to start this new revenue stream that is up to them, but I would think they'd want to take advantage of all of us immediately.

BJ
You assume current CIC hardware can accomodate Siri Eyes Free.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,099
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You assume current CIC hardware can accomodate Siri Eyes Free.
Well, it does right now. The only thing Siri cannot do is:

1. Be initiated with the steering wheel voice button.

2. Send information like an address to nav.

I'm not thinking #2 is very likely, but #1 is a no brainer unless BMW simply doesn't want to do it.

Point is, Siri is working right now. Press + hold the Home button, you can talk to Siri for hours if you want, getting sports scores, weather, reading texts, replying to texts, sending emails, getting movie times, getting restaurant recommendations.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Well, it does right now. The only thing Siri cannot do is:

1. Be initiated with the steering wheel voice button.

2. Send information like an address to nav.

I'm not thinking #2 is very likely, but #1 is a no brainer unless BMW simply doesn't want to do it.

Point is, Siri is working right now. Press + hold the Home button, you can talk to Siri for hours if you want, getting sports scores, weather, reading texts, replying to texts, sending emails, getting movie times, getting restaurant recommendations.

BJ
You are confusing Siri's Bluetooth integration with your car's speakers and microphone with actual interaction with the car.

When you activate Siri, the car treats it the same way it does an incoming call.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms