Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
Scotland & Ireland ED

We've decided to enjoy an extended trip this summer and take our new M6 vert to Scotland and Ireland, and then travel the Loire Valley from Nante into Paris, dropping the car in Paris. We're very familiar with Ireland but much less so with Scotland. I'd like visit the Islay distilleries but no real plans. Anyone with suggestions on interesting places in Scotland?

Trip duration will be ~30 days

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
Well, I'm not overly well-traveled, but since nobody else has chimed in yet I'll give it a shot.

We spent a long weekend in Scotland 2 years ago, and absolutely loved it. We drove from Edinburgh to Newtonmore, then along the great glen to Fort Augustus and Fort William, then to Inverness before returning to Edinburgh.

Some thoughts:
- Driving on the left is a scary experience. Follow your natural instincts and everybody dies, but hey, no pressure. But you probably already know this from Ireland.
- The roads get really, really narrow off the beaten path. And sometimes you meet tour buses coming the other way.
- The Newtonmore/Aviemore area is very scenic with great hiking, but we mostly went there for family ancestry reasons and the MacPherson Clan Museum; otherwise it's perhaps not so much of a draw. The Glen Hotel was great, enjoy the haggis but don't make a habit of it.
- There was not a lot going on in Inverness. The sidewalks roll up by 5, at least in March, but the pubs are very busy until they let out noisily at 1 or 2. We stayed at the Ness Bank Guest House, small and low-key.
- I wish we'd spent more than one day in Edinburgh. Lots of sight-seeing, lots of shopping, Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace. Lots to do. Don't remember where we stayed; it wasn't memorable.
- The Loch Ness / Urquhart Castle boat tour -- well, sure, it's touristy. But you've wanted to go there ever since you first read about the Loch Ness Monster as a kid, admit it. Your trip would be completely wasted if you didn't do this. And the castle ruins are pretty awesome.
- Culloden battlefield was dark, dreary, and somber, perfectly befitting the site where the Highland Jacobite forces met their final defeat by the English. If you're interested in Scottish history, it's well worth a couple hours.
- Since you're going in summer, perhaps you can visit the Highland Games. And doubtless your weather will be better than ours was -- in March it's always crappy, and if by chance it isn't, then it will be again in 5 minutes.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Depends what you mean by "interesting". There are certainly parts of Glasgow that one might consider "interesting", but I certainly wouldn't take an M6 within 5 miles of some of those

Seriously there's not a lot of areas where you can go wrong. The highlands are gorgeous, but you've REALLY got to get up into them in order to get away from the touristy spots. Edinburgh has an incredible, long and deep history that can keep the history buff entertained for weeks. Although often ignored by travelers as well, Dundee is a great place to visit as well, though I think Edinburgh is more interesting.

It depends a lot what you're looking to do. For my part I'd make a point of spending at least a couple of days in Edinburgh, then head up through Stirling and along the foothills to Perth and into the Cairngorms National Park... but I probably wouldn't do that until after mid May because of weather conditions up there. After which you'll probably get rain, but that's Scotland for you
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport und i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
We've decided to enjoy an extended trip this summer and take our new M6 vert to Scotland and Ireland, and then travel the Loire Valley from Nante into Paris, dropping the car in Paris. We're very familiar with Ireland but much less so with Scotland. I'd like visit the Islay distilleries but no real plans. Anyone with suggestions on interesting places in Scotland?

Uhhh...can I come? Holy cow that sounds like a fantastic trip. Seriously, I can fit in the back seat...maybe.

(sorry, haven't been to either Ireland or Scottland so can't really comment otherwise)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
Uhhh...can I come? Holy cow that sounds like a fantastic trip. Seriously, I can fit in the back seat...maybe.

(sorry, haven't been to either Ireland or Scottland so can't really comment otherwise)
Seriously. Sounds like a good time. Report back on the nuances of good Scotch and Irish whiskey, as well as how they differ.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgk330i View Post
- Driving on the left is a scary experience. Follow your natural instincts and everybody dies, but hey, no pressure. But you probably already know this from Ireland.
- The roads get really, really narrow off the beaten path. And sometimes you meet tour buses coming the other way.
Yes, it isn't so much driving on the left as it is on the incorrect side of the car for the road. I'm very comfortable driving in UK in RHD cars and have driven UK in my 2001 M5 ED. Narrow, yes, that will be a problem as the M6 has some wide girth. Thank you for your comments rgk330i, very helpful

QUOTE=rgk330i;7345961] The Loch Ness / Urquhart Castle boat tour -- well, sure, it's touristy. But you've wanted to go there ever since you first read about the Loch Ness Monster as a kid, admit it. Your trip would be completely wasted if you didn't do this. And the castle ruins are pretty awesome.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, looking for Nessie is a "must"

Last edited by dkreidel; 01-29-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Seriously. Sounds like a good time. Report back on the nuances of good Scotch and Irish whiskey, as well as how they differ.
i'm partial to Red Breast whisky and Lagavulin scotch - but intend to drink my way across the Irish Sea

Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Aviator

After roughing this out it looks like this may be closer to 40 days. I'm not getting any younger, and although this will be BMW ED #13 simply motoring running around the Continent is becoming less interesting. I want to make this trip while 1) we still want to and 2) have the energy to get out and spend a lot of time on foot exploring and 3) while health is optimum. It looks like we can't get a manual trans M6 until mid-July so the weather will be about as good as it ever gets in that part of the world.

Max time in Europe on an ED used to be 90 days, but has it been reduced like the "free" insurance period was?

Dick

Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
Depends what you mean by "interesting". There are certainly parts of Glasgow that one might consider "interesting", but I certainly wouldn't take an M6 within 5 miles of some of those

Seriously there's not a lot of areas where you can go wrong. The highlands are gorgeous, but you've REALLY got to get up into them in order to get away from the touristy spots. Edinburgh has an incredible, long and deep history that can keep the history buff entertained for weeks. Although often ignored by travelers as well, Dundee is a great place to visit as well, though I think Edinburgh is more interesting.

It depends a lot what you're looking to do. For my part I'd make a point of spending at least a couple of days in Edinburgh, then head up through Stirling and along the foothills to Perth and into the Cairngorms National Park... but I probably wouldn't do that until after mid May because of weather conditions up there. After which you'll probably get rain, but that's Scotland for you
Thank you thumper; much appreciated

Dick

Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Frommer's 25 Great Drives in Scotland is an excellent book that may be of interest to you. Wifey and I, along with my college roommate and his wife, will be doing 19 days in Scotland and Great Britain in July and August of this year. This will be BMW Euro Delivery Number 6 for us. There is a lot to see in the UK.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 01-30-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Quote:

I like your plan to allow enough time to do an in-depth tour. Here are my suggestions.

LHS of road driving: I learned to drive on the LHS of the road. I have been back to Britain quite a few times and rented cars. The fact that I am sitting on the "wrong" side of the car constantly reminds me that things are different and you have to keep the car on the LHS of the road. I think that driving a LH Drive car on the LH side of the road would be a greater challenge. Not that it can't be done, but it will be a lot more challenging. But you drove an M5 in Britain so it should not be that much different to drive an M6.

Scotland: I hope that you are a golfer and plan to take your clubs. At a minimum you should plan to play St. Andrews, Turnberry and Glen Eagles. Each one of those places has a grand hotel that is not particularly good value for the money but is still a neat place to stay. I envy you your trip to Islay. My go-to drink is from Islay and revolts everyone in my family because of the smell. One year I picked up a bottle of well-aged Laphroaig in duty free for an obscene amount of money. It was exquisite, but I have never seen it over here. For places to see you might enjoy the Queen's Balmoral Castle - but it is closed in August, September and October.

England: I see that you have spent a fair amount of time in Britain, so you have probably already toured all the great sights - but, just in case, here are a few "must sees". The Lake District, the Cotswolds and Cambridge. In the case of Cambridge hire a punt and see the "backs" of the colleges from the river. It's a beautiful sight.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
The road up from Loch Ness to the Isle of Skye is amazing and a great drive. If you're a fan of the movie "Highlander," the clan McLeod castle is right before you get to Isle of Skye (Eilean Donnan Castle). Stirling castle is cool, but you probably don't have to tour both it and Edinburgh castle. We never got "higher" into the highlands than that, but everyone I talked to while we were there says getting up to Dornoch and northeast of Inverness is just spectacular.

If you are a golf fan, then it goes without saying that you have to at least stop in at St. Andrews and pay homage to the home of golf. Have a beer in the basement bar of the Rusacks hotel. St. Andrews is a lovely town in its own right, actually, even if you don't give two hoots about golf.

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Edinburgh is in my top 3 favorite European cities. If you're a history, mostly military history, Edinburgh is a must. So so much to see and do. The history of Edinburgh Castle is fascinating as is the history of Holyrood Palace at the opposite end of the Royal Mile. I highly recommend spending at least one night in the old city. Can be very creepy at night. The night after Christmas 3 years ago my family and I took a walk through a beautiful snowfall that took us into Greyfriars cemetery. At 11pm we were the only ones there. Later I saw a show on Travel Channel claiming that people have gone insane and bled from their eyes will visiting in daylight. Seemed like a nice peaceful place to us. Next door to that cemetery is the building they used as the Harry Potter school in the movies. If you stay in Old Town, there are plenty of great bars and restaurants. In the morning you can catch a free tour (just give a tip at the end) leaving at the mid-point of the Royal Mile (in front of Starbucks) that last two hours and takes you to all the historic sites. Extremely interesting even if you aren't into history but enjoy humor and gossip.

As far as I'm concerned all the other great stuff is North. Skip Glasgow unless you like museums. In the Highlands there seems to be a distillery every few miles with most giving tours, for a price. The best we've done was the Oban distillery. Probably the best Scotch I've tasted and the tour gives you a couple of tastes at the conclusion. Loch Ness is interesting if you have kids, but is a little too touristy for me. We much preferred Loch Lomond and the little town of Luss. Some great roads for driving up this way. Just be careful not to end up in a sheep's pasture like we did: no snow tires in a developing snowstorm with nowhere to turn around on the half a car wide dirt road we ended-up on. Glencoe, the scene of the Campbell-MacDonald "disagreement" is up in this corner of Scotland. As is the farm used as "Skyfall" in the recent Bond film.

And Stirling and its castle should also not be missed. The whole Braveheart thing happened in and around here. Lots of historic markers, battlefields and statues. Touring the castle can take up half a day. The Falkirk Wheel is the coolest canal in the world. Quite unique. We stayed at Castlecroft Bed and Breakfast. (Castlecroft Bed and Breakfast). I highly recommend it, as do many at TripAdvisor. Have dinner in town at Whistlebinkies to hear traditional Scottish folk music.

If you head South toward England, check out the ruins of Melrose Abbey. The town of York, England is nearly as interesting as Edinburgh if you're into things medieval.

As for Ireland? We've been there 5 times now and I much prefer Scotland. I don't get all the love for the place, but I think a lot has to do with your family background and heritage. Then again I'm not Irish but I am 1/8 Scottish. To each his own.

If you need detailed info, feel free to PM me. I suspect all the B&B s we use are still in business. The breakfasts will fill you up until dinner.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (on order)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.0i, 2003 325iT
If you're in the Highlands near Lochcarron, take the road to Applecross. It's called Bealach na Ba and it's the highest motoring road in Britain. Some nice twisties there. If you're heading to Islay, there are eight great distilleries. Pick your favorite, although Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin are relatively close to each other. On Skye, head down to the Black Cuillins- very dramatic. As for the driving, just keep track of the passing places on the narrow tracks.

2011 E89 Z4 30i Crimson over Ivory (Munich delivery, redelivery at Performance Center), Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring Oxford Green over Sand
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Three Words: Edinburgh Festival Fringe

http://www.edfringe.com/

Hotels in the city get pricy during the Fringe. If you wait too long you may have trouble finding a centrally located hotel. One option is to stay out of town and take the train in.

Heading out of Edinburgh, there are fantastic drives on the back roads around Loch Lomand and the Trossachs national park. Steamship on Loch Katrine is a nice break.

If you are a Monty Python fan, visit Doune Castle. Be sure to get the audio guide.

Here is a possible loop and route overview: Starts and ends in Perth. Perth is fine. You might want to stay somewhere else along the loop though.

http://www.openroadhire.co.uk/route/Route%2008.php

Are you taking a ferry from Cairnryan to Northern Ireland? If you are nearby, Drumlanrig Castle is worth a visit. We liked Trigony House hotel. It is near Thornhill and not hugely far from Cairnryan.

On the way to France are you going to take a ferry from Dublin to Holyhead? We live on Anglesey. I can give you some tips on things to do and see in this part of Wales.

Loch Katrine

Doune Castle

If you've seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail, you've seen this before

Edinburgh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000404.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	359959   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000410.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	359960   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000413.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	359961   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000429.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	359962  
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-31-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:35 AM
I need more coffee!

Mein Auto: 135i E82, 535i F10
Spent 10 days in Scotland on last ED (#4) in 2010, be glad to share our itinerary and planning with you, PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address and shoot over what I've got. Basically did a loop from the Lake District up the west coast, spent a couple of days on the Isle of Skye, turned northeast towards Inverness, then back south towards Edinburgh. Hit Oban, Talisker, and Edradour distilleries as well as some gorgeous scenery and some of the friendliest people I've met on our trips. The pic in my signature (far right) was taken on the northwestern coast of Skye. Cheers!

ED July 7, 2010 Hers 535i Cashmere / Oyster/Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCV, ZCW, 6FL

ED June 12, 2009 His 135i E82, AW/Coral, M-Sport, ZPP, manual (of course)

ED June 11, 2008 Hers 535i E60

ED July 23, 2007 His 335i E90

Last edited by GOFASTR; 02-10-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Aviator

I am very late in thanking you all for your advice and experience! I'm waiting for a confirmation BMW will paint the M6 vert in an old color, Montreal Blue, from the mid-90's. As soon as I hear a or we can set the dates and begin the planning! Often we simply follow our noses on ED's and gravitate towards good weather but this trip is complicated enough to warrant advance planning and reservations.

No sense trying to outguess UK weather, but we're thinking the last two weeks of July and 4-5 weeks in August may allow us to try out the convertible top.

Dick

Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOFASTR View Post
Spent 10 days in Scotland on last ED (#4) in 2010, be glad to share our itinerary and planning with you, PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address and shoot over what I've got. Basically did a loop from the Lake District up the west coast, spent a couple of days on the Isle of Skye, turned northeast towards Inverness, then back south towards Edinburgh. Hit Oban, Talisker, and Edradour distilleries as well as some gorgeous scenery and some of the friendliest people I've met on our trips. The pic in my signature (far right) was taken on the northwestern coast of Skye. Cheers!
PM sent, than you!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:

No sense trying to outguess UK weather, but we're thinking the last two weeks of July and 4-5 weeks in August may allow us to try out the convertible top.

Dick

That time of year in Scotland, you are guaranteed both rain and fabulous sunshine.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
That time of year in Scotland, you are guaranteed both rain and fabulous sunshine.
I'm sure the hydraulics for the rag top will get a good work out; cold won't keep the top up but rain might. I bought a new waxed cotton Barbour Coat while in London last December so I'm all set

Last edited by dkreidel; 02-11-2013 at 10:32 AM.