Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 BMW 735i
Exclamation price check

I am looking into buyin a 97 bmw 740il with nav.... Outside looks get. but from what the owner tells me it has trans problems.. they said when he was driving it one day he turned a corner hard and the trans fluid low came one the dash. and he said the car cut off and he hasnt drove it since.. he called around to get car checked and get info. someone told him the trans fluid needed to be changed and the fliter too.. he's asking 1,500. i dont know if its wearth it cause of the trans problem and if thats the only problem... the car runs good some problem inside nothing big from wht i seen... i talked to my friend he's a tech. he said it sounds like the trans fluid... i got the owner to go down to 1250. is that a bad price. im tryn to cover my own ass just incase something else pops up... need some answers thanks
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Does the car drive? If so, test drive it and see how the tranny feels. Is everything is good then just get the tranny serviced. With the information you posted it sounds like it will be fine. If you like it and you think $1250 is a good deal, go for it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 PM

thanks and no i havent had time to test drive it the day i went to look at it. i was rainning bad and cold as f@^k. so i didnt drive it and the day i set to go drive it. dam it snowed lol.. so hope i will get to test drive it thursday crossing fingers. and yes thats the price i will pay to get it.. i will keep yall posted
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: E38 740il
car is worth minimum of $3000. If you have a garage and the time to tear it down piece by piece and ebay the parts off. Just the seat along has about $250 in resellable parts. That is if the seat is trashed but works. If you have a gararge you can make some cash. To drive it withthe miles alone no more than a 1250.00. Just to replace the gaskets upper and lower timing covers and valve covers you'll spend $300 and that's if you do it yourself! shop will charge you $2000+. Owning these cars requires skills or a big wallet.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoexes View Post
car is worth minimum of $3000. If you have a garage and the time to tear it down piece by piece and ebay the parts off. Just the seat along has about $250 in resellable parts. That is if the seat is trashed but works. If you have a gararge you can make some cash. To drive it withthe miles alone no more than a 1250.00. Just to replace the gaskets upper and lower timing covers and valve covers you'll spend $300 and that's if you do it yourself! shop will charge you $2000+. Owning these cars requires skills or a big wallet.
thanks man... i know some good ppl so if i did take it in they will cut me a good price i known him for a min. so i think either way im good you know... i guess if its to much i got other bmw's i been looking at but. i really like this one. i guess ima take a risk on it
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: E38 740il
Car is built well. If you get hit in an accident odds are you will do better in thid model and year than the new ones on the market. Thing is you have to always stay on top of things. Oil changes with Synthetic only. Do the required maintenance. Pulling up to the station every 3 tank of gas I open the hood and just do a visual-checking belts-fluids-the basics. If you take car of this ride it will take car of you. Ignore it and she will piss all over you and kick you in the balls.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoexes View Post
Car is built well. If you get hit in an accident odds are you will do better in thid model and year than the new ones on the market. Thing is you have to always stay on top of things. Oil changes with Synthetic only. Do the required maintenance. Pulling up to the station every 3 tank of gas I open the hood and just do a visual-checking belts-fluids-the basics. If you take car of this ride it will take car of you. Ignore it and she will piss all over you and kick you in the balls.
thanks man... i always loved the bmw's benz and lexus and audi's.... i loved the bmw m3 and m5's, benz's the c classes.. audi's the s4 a4 and s8 or is it s6. lol i cant remember.... but thanks man...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 750iL
The OP said the seller claimed a low tansmission light on the dash, but there is no such thing, so tranny may not even be an issue....
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Cannot comment on price. How well is it spec'd over base? More options - more value. Make sure you get all the books and documents. The Service History is gold. If the SH is bad - walk. It sounds harsh, but trust me - WALK. The 'Transmission' light may be the 'cog' - that indicated slip. Could be as simple as service and fluid change. Could be the death knell. No one has x-ray vision. That said the car retailed (here) for $200,000 so a $5k gear box doesn't cut it, as it will last -and last longer if taken care of. Other than SH and options, the value is in the body. Engines etc can be thrown away. You can't throw away body damage and rust.
Previous:
E21 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure View Post
Cannot comment on price. How well is it spec'd over base? More options - more value. Make sure you get all the books and documents. The Service History is gold. If the SH is bad - walk. It sounds harsh, but trust me - WALK. The 'Transmission' light may be the 'cog' - that indicated slip. Could be as simple as service and fluid change. Could be the death knell. No one has x-ray vision. That said the car retailed (here) for $200,000 so a $5k gear box doesn't cut it, as it will last -and last longer if taken care of. Other than SH and options, the value is in the body. Engines etc can be thrown away. You can't throw away body damage and rust.
thanks it has the work phone nav dvd heated seats dam near everything... its a 97 740il... idk. i havent had a deep look at it and thanks i already told them if its more then i wanna take on i will walk. i already got cars on back already.. ones 97 535i.. so i will walk and some... thanks everyone i needed this help..
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 AM

Well car is almost done.. I need to find a trunk lock and 2 o2 sensor. and change oil and valve cover gaskets i ordered them so they should be on the way to the parts store near me. they said two days.. but came to find out my does have a factory amp. so i will be replacing that amp wih a aftermarket 4 channel or 6 channel. if you know where i can get removel and install info on this let me know thanks