Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
Question parking brake adjustment needed?

doing my brakes soon and while I don't "think" i need to adjusting the parking break, i'm not sure what normal is.

right now im feeling this:
Clicks 1-2: Very Easy Pull
Click 3: Light tension.
Click 4: Medium tension. (Usually will stop pulling here on level surface)
Click 5: Medium tension.
Click 6: Heavy tension. (Usually will stop pulling here on non-level surface)
Click 7: Very heavy tension. (Usually never use unless very steep surface).

Thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
I adjusted them when rear was on jack stands and both rear wheels were off.

On 2 clicks it was still possible to turn them with hands and on 3 clicks not turning with hands anymore. I think it became quite ok this way, but someone might still have other way how to do it.

It's not 100% trustworthy though, if parking to some slope then parking brake alone can't hold it and need to put gear on also. At that time i had serious problems that brakes were rubbing while driving so i just wanted them to go off properly instead of holding best possible way.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
If you are replacing the rear rotors, then parking brake adjustment is likely necessary. You may even need to loosen the adjusters just to get the old rotors off. Remember to tighten the shoe adjusters first with cable adjusters slacked off. Then tighten the cables to 3-4 clicks for full grip. You shouldn't be able to pull it up to 6 or 7 clicks.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 AM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
If you are replacing the rear rotors, then parking brake adjustment is likely necessary. You may even need to loosen the adjusters just to get the old rotors off. Remember to tighten the shoe adjusters first with cable adjusters slacked off. Then tighten the cables to 3-4 clicks for full grip. You shouldn't be able to pull it up to 6 or 7 clicks.
Yep, will be replacing rear rotors. I'll double check the DIY for the parking brake adjustment, but assuming I don't need any special tools?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
replacing the parking shoe may be necessary
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
Yep, will be replacing rear rotors. I'll double check the DIY for the parking brake adjustment, but assuming I don't need any special tools?
No special tools required.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
replacing the parking shoe may be necessary
any chance you know the parking shoe part # off the top of your head? is there one on both sides of the rear?

just curious as to the cost. how do i tell if the shoe needs to be replaced?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:07 PM

Just go to realoem.com, enter the particulars for your car, and look up the rear parking brake info. You'll know when you get the rotor off what condition the parking brake shoes are in. Pair of shoes on each side, BTW. If even one of the four shoes is worn down to metal or close to it, replace all four. Quite cheap, and your local auto parts store probably carries them, unless you are particular about the brand. If you replace the shoes, throw in a new set of springs and retainers while you are at it. Also quite cheap as a set.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
I doubt you would ever need to replace the shoes unless the car was driven with the p-brake on. Nothing really wears since the shoes and rotor don't move against one another under normal circumstances.
From my experience, an adjustment isn't necessary after a rear rotor replacement.
5-7 clicks is considered "normal" for applying the p-brake according to the factory service manual, IIRC.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Replacing parking brake shoes may be useful if they don't hold, or there's serious problem about making both sides even. It's good to adjust them carefully and maybe even take off and clean every part, because now it's easy when taking rotors off anyway. You're not planning to visit your rear brakes very often, right? And if there is any problem with parking brake bit later, then you might need to take rotors off again.

I had problem about parking brake getting stuck, and all those small parts in there were dirty and rusty so i took them off and cleaned carefully before putting back and now it works much better.