Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330I ZSP
Questions about suspension upgrade

I'm thinking about proactively upgrading my suspension on my 330i. I have sport package but it's starting to show its age by making a few groans over speed humps etc and not feeling as sharp as it once was. I've looked at trying to get a good deal on a "new in the box" performance suspension kit from BMW that we're on Clarence from tischer a couple years ago. I have seen a lot have been offered and sold on the forum. I am on a very tight budget, even considering installing myself even though I have never done it before. Do you think this is the way to go? How much for a Indy install approx? is it possible to keep the current springs and just change out the shocks?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
It all depends on what you're trying to achieve in regards to the performance of the suspension. If you think the factory sport suspension is too soft, then go for a performance spring/shock kit. There's lots of options out there.
If you're simply looking to "refresh" your worn out suspension, then I would recommend keeping your old springs and just replace the shocks. You'll also want to closely examine the condition of the remaining "wear and tear" suspension components like bushings. But, if you're on a tight budget and the rest of the suspension looks to be in good shape, then you're best bet is to replace the shocks only. You'll likely notice a big improvement.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330I ZSP
Do you know any good shocks that work with the current springs. I assume that this way there would be no lowering right?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8355adam View Post
I'm thinking about proactively upgrading my suspension on my 330i. I have sport package but it's starting to show its age by making a few groans over speed humps etc and not feeling as sharp as it once was. I've looked at trying to get a good deal on a "new in the box" performance suspension kit from BMW that we're on Clarence from tischer a couple years ago. I have seen a lot have been offered and sold on the forum. I am on a very tight budget, even considering installing myself even though I have never done it before. Do you think this is the way to go? How much for a Indy install approx? is it possible to keep the current springs and just change out the shocks?

I've done it - very rewarding project. Some guidance for you.

Many other Youtubes & posts available to assist. Recommend: Koni FSD, maybe $1100 + DIY install, no big deal. Designed for and uses stock sport springs, which I'm sure are fine to continue using.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8355adam View Post
Do you know any good shocks that work with the current springs. I assume that this way there would be no lowering right?
I put a set of Bilstein "HD" shocks on my E46 with the factory sport springs. They are slightly stiffer than the factory shocks but very well tuned for the car overall. They don't ride as nicely as the Koni FSDs, but they considerably less expensive. Shop around. Bavauto has them on sale about once or twice a year.