Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 07-31-2015, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 98 740il
How much can I sell for ???

1998 PERFECT body
Inside 8/10
driver seat needs to have the return to up position cable reset
passenger side Back window regulator dead
HEADS need to be fixed (overheated MANY times / used tons of stop leak - which worked for a year - then I think I finally CLOGGED it up)
headliner on moon roof needs replace
trunk shocks need replacing
AC = super good
all else good to great
BMW basket wheels
tires / probably no good from sitting in sun for a year

Sat for a year in driveway
some one drove buy and made offer
ergo
how much do I ASK?
OR
who wants to but it as is (to fix or use for parts)

in central Florida
near Sebring

THANKS!

ps
led lites are typical - sometime 75% ok - sometimes 50%
lost auto (remote) key bob / just have manual key
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM
Whackjob BMW virgin

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS
Sounds like engine is trashed. Doesn't matter what the buyer is going to do with it, you will be selling it as-is which in my area would be worth about $1000 (a guess without looking at it) so ask for $1500 and see how high of an offer you can get.

Now if you decided to part it out you will make more money but you will have to spend the time stripping it down, posting photos and boxing the parts up. No way to guess how much more money you'll make without knowing what options you have or seeing pictures.

After...(this may take a few years)
Old 07-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
High end salvage around here is $400. If you live in an area where the parts are highly desired locally, you could part it and make $1000+. Otherwise, small parts have gotten so cheap on Ebay, it's hard to recoup your money that way. I've parted two of these cars and will never do it again. Time, space, no shows, shipping issues, etc. A good learning experience but otherwise a real PITA. If the offer was over $700, I would jump on it. You can but these cars running all day long to less than $2k. JMO
Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM

Thanks. For feedback. I started at 4000. He answered 400. Which is going rate here for junk cars. I smiled and told him. 3000
Plus 3000 to repair all. Which makes 6000 for nice car. He then offered 1500. Told him 2000. He asked for my card. ... his son loved the car.

Ain't this fun. Sure miss driving it

Btw. Rented 760 diesel on Europe. I think that is code. Not long wheelbase. What a monster. Acted Like 500 hp. I think less than 300. Anyway. Passing ON Winding Uphill roads. EZ.

And still 55 mpg. On interstate cruising about 80 mph.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:55 PM

Thanks guys. Last time I shopped for a,good 98. Prices were much higher. Maybe I'll get another one. After I sell this for 15oo +\-
Old 08-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
Usually when I am selling a mechanics special like yours I take the average private party sale price for the car, condition and location. Then subtract the cost of the parts to repair correctly (keep in mind the items you might as well do when it is apart and include them). That is my starting asking price.