Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 5/13 ED: 2013 335xi Sport
No Nav - Sirius Artist and Title Displayed?

Hi All,

Looking to buy a new 335i, but trying to made a decision on the technology package. One of my biggest pet peeves about my E90 without navigation is that you don't see a song's title and artist when using Sirius without pushing several buttons/knobs! I've searched through many different posts, but have really only found an answer about how to display a song's title and artist for Sirius when you have navigation. If you don't have navigation, how hard is it to see the song title and artist when using Sirius? Can someone explain how it works? Thanks so much!
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Doesnt show at all in preset view and that does suck.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by euckersw View Post
Hi All,

Looking to buy a new 335i, but trying to made a decision on the technology package. One of my biggest pet peeves about my E90 without navigation is that you don't see a song's title and artist when using Sirius without pushing several buttons/knobs! I've searched through many different posts, but have really only found an answer about how to display a song's title and artist for Sirius when you have navigation. If you don't have navigation, how hard is it to see the song title and artist when using Sirius? Can someone explain how it works? Thanks so much!
First off, welcome aboard.

Secondly, pay the money and get the Technology Package. It's just not the same car without it, becomes the King Of Pet Peeves which it sounds like you are adverse to.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM

Thanks - I'm starting to think the tech package is the way to go. However in non-preset view you can see this info? Can you elaborate? Why exactly does that suck?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks - I'm starting to think the tech package is the way to go. However in non-preset view you can see this info? Can you elaborate? Why exactly does that suck?

Skipping the Technology Package:

1. You get the smaller LCD. It's the centerpiece of the dash and looks unfinished.

2. No iPod or iPhone integration. You can listen to your iPod or iPhone through the system, but it's through the Auxiliary input and not the USB port so there's very limited functionality. You'll be able to get to your music and play songs, not much more. No album art.

3. No Bluetooth audio streaming. You'll be able to make calls via Bluetooth, but no audio (ie Pandora).

4. No BMW Apps. The current group of Facebook and Twitter is pretty lame, but future apps might be fantastic.

5. No BMW Assist. Besides the safety value (remote unlocking, SOS button), this gives you Enhanced Bluetooth and USB for audio streaming, album art, and the ability to use the BMW Remote app and send addresses to your car.

The Technology Package's larger LCD offers a split-screen mode so you can have your map up and see your radio station details simultaneously. Use your imagination on the screencap above. That's the iPod display. When in split-screen using Sirius, the album art is replaced by Station Name/Artist Name/Song Name in that right-side space.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-29-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
First off, welcome aboard.

Secondly, pay the money and get the Technology Package. It's just not the same car without it, becomes the King Of Pet Peeves which it sounds like you are adverse to.

BJ
Yep!

Quote:

1. You get the smaller LCD. It's the centerpiece of the dash and looks unfinished.

2. No iPod or iPhone integration. You can listen to your iPod or iPhone through the system, but it's through the Auxiliary input and not the USB port so there's very limited functionality. You'll be able to get to your music and play songs, not much more. No album art.

3. No Bluetooth audio streaming. You'll be able to make calls via Bluetooth, but no audio (ie Pandora).

4. No BMW Apps. The current group of Facebook and Twitter is pretty lame, but future apps might be fantastic.

5. No BMW Assist. Besides the safety value (remote unlocking, SOS button), this gives you Enhanced Bluetooth and USB for audio streaming, album art, and the ability to use the BMW Remote app and send addresses to your car.

The Technology Package's larger LCD offers a split-screen mode so you can have your map up and see your radio station details simultaneously. Use your imagination on the screencap above. That's the iPod display. When in split-screen using Sirius, the album art is replaced by Station Name/Artist Name/Song Name in that right-side space.

BJ
Yep!

Get the technology package. Seriously, I'd prefer a 328 with the tech package over a 335 without the tech package, and this is coming from someone that just ordered a 335. So if money is the issue, get the 328 with the tech package.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 AM

Thank you for the feedback, and I understand the benefits to the technology package, but I'm trying to weight those benefits against the cost of the package. So my big concern is if I don't have navigation what that will mean for the integration of Sirius - specifically being able to easily see the song title and artist. Any additional information from those of you who do not have nav would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback, and I understand the benefits to the technology package, but I'm trying to weight those benefits against the cost of the package. So my big concern is if I don't have navigation what that will mean for the integration of Sirius - specifically being able to easily see the song title and artist. Any additional information from those of you who do not have nav would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Bj just likes to advocate buying $3000 worth of **** you don't need so he can validate his own purchase and posts it repeatedly on every post here. I'm assuming he has a word doc with pre written posts or something

Anyway in non preset more you can see the title and artist.

I'll try to take a picture later and post it here.

I do wish it had something in preset mode. Used to have an Audi and it was the same way then they had a firmware update and suddenly had it in preset mode too so there is hope.

I don't think then smaller screen looks bad at all. Its what 6.5" and looks fine. If you don't need Nav or the HUD save your $3000 for something... god forbid non car related

Last edited by hans007; 01-30-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
Quote:

BJ
Just having the larger screen is worth my money
Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359573674091.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	359860
Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 PM

hans007 - That's really helpful - thank you for the picture. So is there any easy way to be in non-preset mode and still move from favorite Sirius station to favorite station or do you basically have to choose between the two (either be able to skip amongst your presets easily OR see the title and artist, but not both)? On my E90 without nav I can select "info" while I'm on a channel to bring up the song and artist info, and then I have to back out of that screen to move to my next preset. It's annoying, but I can live with it. Is it configured somewhat similarly on the F30s? Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
hans007 - That's really helpful - thank you for the picture. So is there any easy way to be in non-preset mode and still move from favorite Sirius station to favorite station or do you basically have to choose between the two (either be able to skip amongst your presets easily OR see the title and artist, but not both)? On my E90 without nav I can select "info" while I'm on a channel to bring up the song and artist info, and then I have to back out of that screen to move to my next preset. It's annoying, but I can live with it. Is it configured somewhat similarly on the F30s? Thanks again for your help.

hmm... its possible you might be able to go up and down presets in non preset mode with the wheel controls. i honestly am rarely in non preset mode but ill give it a try later when im in my car again and see.

i think in preset mode you might be able to either move the idrive knob right or press down on it on a preset to take you to another screen, but i cant remember if the song info is in there anywhere (i usually just back out to non preset mode, which requires 2 left idrive presses, then one click up).

i think i might eventually just program one of the 0-9 console preset buttons to take me back to non preset mode or find some other solution.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM

I appreciate the help - let me know what you find out!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Bj just likes to advocate buying $3000 worth of **** you don't need so he can validate his own purchase and posts it repeatedly on every post here. I'm assuming he has a word doc with pre written posts or something
That's completely unfair. I offer assistance to others based on my own experience, I have no agenda, and I certainly don't need to validate my purchase since I knew what I wanted at the time that I bought it and have no disappointment with it whatsoever.

Quote:
Are you trying to see the name of the song and artist on the station that you have already selected?

Or are you talking about when you hover over a station and get a preview of what song is playing before you decide to jump to that station?

BJ

Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Bj just likes to advocate buying $3000 worth of **** you don't need so he can validate his own purchase and posts it repeatedly on every post here.
Dude, are you angry or something?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
That's completely unfair. I offer assistance to others based on my own experience, I have no agenda, and I certainly don't need to validate my purchase since I knew what I wanted at the time that I bought it and have no disappointment with it whatsoever.

Are you trying to see the name of the song and artist on the station that you have already selected?

Or are you talking about when you hover over a station and get a preview of what song is playing before you decide to jump to that station?

BJ
BJ - I just want to be able to see the name of the song and artist on the station that I've already selected.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
BJ - I just want to be able to see the name of the song and artist on the station that I've already selected.

With the Technology Package, you have two view options for Sirius detail that you don't get with the standard, small screen:

1. Split-Screen along side the listing of Radio presets. This is what you're looking for.

2. Split-Screen along side the nav map. This is the view which most of us keep up 24/7. 2/3 map, 1/3 entertainment details.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-30-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Dude, are you angry or something?
the guy asked what the non sirius looked like, and it went to the hey buy the tech package. the OP even said he knew what it looked like on the tech package.

Last edited by hans007; 01-30-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
the guy asked what the non sirius looked like, and it went to the hey buy the tech package. the OP even said he knew what it looked like on the tech package.
Well, it sure seemed to me as if he was trying to make a decision on whether to get the technology package or not. By the way, the tech package seems like money well spent to me...

Quote:
Hi All,

Looking to buy a new 335i, but trying to made a decision on the technology package.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 PM

Sorry for any confusion. My main reason for posting was to determine how Sirius song info is displayed without nav. Based on that I will decide whether or not to get the tech package. I appreciate the help I've received so far.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 PM

At preset screen you can click Idrive right then hit station info and it shows the song info
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM

hans007 - Thanks again for looking into this. It sounds like very similar functionality to my E90 without Nav.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
When you pay this much for a vehicle, it's easy to fear you'll be left unsatisfied unless you include the such-and-such line or package, and so some of us end up overspending. The beater I drive now has a $100 GPS device that does everything I need. (When the nav system is telling you exactly where and when to turn, what is there to look at on the screen, anyway?) But music is integral to the car, and so I have some of the same questions as euckersw. I welcome replies that are specific to the question, and not exhortations to go the whole nine yards.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
When you pay this much for a vehicle, it's easy to fear you'll be left unsatisfied unless you include the such-and-such line or package, and so some of us end up overspending. The beater I drive now has a $100 GPS device that does everything I need. (When the nav system is telling you exactly where and when to turn, what is there to look at on the screen, anyway?) But music is integral to the car, and so I have some of the same questions as euckersw. I welcome replies that are specific to the question, and not exhortations to go the whole nine yards.

Extortions? That's an interesting term to describe it.

I do agree that when you pay this much for a car, you could easily end up having buyers remorse if you leave out key features. Especially when people with Kia Souls and Nissan Sentras have options that your $45,000 BMW doesn't.

Plus, I've had these features in the last several cars I've owned. So from my perspective, it would be a HUGE let down to omit these features in any future car purchase. By the way, BMW's iDrive is awesome in general. It's really hard to beat, and the tech package really makes it.

Last edited by krash; 02-01-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post

You are looking at this backwards.

The BMW F30 is a $50,000 luxury car that can be de-spec'd to $36,000. It isn't some pedestrian $36,000 car that can be built up to $50,000.

The question isn't which packages to put on, but rather which packages to remove. The Technology package is not a good choice. You lose too much. If you watch Bimmerfest closely enough you'll see that the majority of the questions and frustrations regarding the car center around the omission of the Technology package. That is what I am informing the OP of.

If a $3000 option is a tipping point, perhaps one should not be buying a BMW.

BJ