Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
If a $3000 option is a tipping point, perhaps one should not be buying a BMW.

BJ
I was going to say the same thing, but I didn't. Honestly, if you can't afford to have the tech package, I am thinking you probably can't afford a 328 or a 335 in the first place.

Last edited by krash; 02-01-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
I was waiting for the 36k or 50k BMW statement by bj. And there it is. Like clockwork.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I was waiting for the 36k or 50k BMW statement by bj. And there it is. Like clockwork.
I'm really not sure what your issue is.

If you fail to believe that BMW is an expensive luxury car and just want to argue that it's "really" just a $36,000 ho-hum competitor of the Honda Accord, I don't know what to tell you. I don't even know what your build is nor do I care; I'm not judging.

Fundamentally, someone with only $39,000 to spend can either get a fully loaded Accord or a stripped 328i. And to option-up the 328i to loaded Accord spec, it's going to cost north of $50,000. That's the point. Comparing the stripped 328i to the loaded 328i is comparing two different cars.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 AM

Mein Auto: N/A
It's a $36k car that can be enhanced along at least four dimensions: performance, information systems, comfort and style. Not everyone has the same tastes. I, for example, will pay extra for a wagon, xDrive, diesel and an improved suspension, but if the car came with burl walnut trim and leather seats for free, I still wouldn't want them. "Loaded" isn't necessarily better, unless one measures everything's value by what it costs. That's why it's important to answer specific questions about features narrowly, and not just suppose that the proper annswer is always, "Get it or you'll regret it later." Some people regret buying what it turns out they don't need, or want, even if they can afford it.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
It's a $36k car that can be enhanced along at least four dimensions

That's why it's important to answer specific questions about features narrowly, and not just suppose that the proper annswer is always, "Get it or you'll regret it later." Some people regret buying what it turns out they don't need, or want, even if they can afford it.
1. It's a $50,000 car that can be un-enhanced to $36,000. BMW is not in the business of designing cars that cost so little money; they are not Honda.

2. Anyone who can afford a BMW is older, has a good job, and therefore is certainly smart enough to make his own decision after reading the opinions of various other owners.

BMW didn't design the F30 around halogen headlamps. And it's not like some designer raised his hand in a meeting in said "Gee, this car would look great with Xenons, what you think of making that an option fellas?" Same for the Premium package, the Technology package, the rearview camera, PDC, and on and on.

No BMW was ever designed to not have heated seats. It's just made an option so that people who can't afford the real car can remove it and still squeeze a 328i into their budget. If you are one of those people, more power to you. But don't try to rewrite BMWs business plan as if others don't understand what you're trying to do.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®