Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550i, E60528i
M6 Muffler Mod on 550i- Back to stock

Like others who wished for a little more sound from their F10 550i, I was ready for a change but not yet ready to spend big $ for a full factory M5 system or the same amount for the high end aftermarket systems. So, thought Id try the M6 muffler mod done already done by others. I knew from previous posters that it wasnt a bolt on. But its really not too tough for any good muffler shop.

Once I got my hands on a used set of M6 mufflers, the biggest challenge for the muffler guy was lining up the twin exit points on the M6 muffler with the new tips. The old ones dont really work because theyre significantly longer and point inboard. This will be a challenge even if one were to upgrade the rear facia to an M5 style or any other aftermarket facia. Nevertheless, any good muffler shop can shape some stubby twin exit pipes onto the M6 muffler for you to slide any tip finisher you have in mind.

The next challenge is the pipe transition. The M6 muffler lines up with the original 550i post axle pipe reasonable close but a reducer sleeve will have to be fabricated since the M6 muffler has a 2 1/2 inlet vs the 550is 2 3/4. Some sharp exhaust guys might say that the downsize in pipe will result in power loss but I think it is negligible if even discernable since BMW inadvertently crushed and kinked the F10 factory 2 3/4 mandrel shaped exhaust pipes in enough places to pretty well negate maximum exhaust performance. And after all, if the rest of the exhaust system remains stock, then this minor downsize at this point is even more negligible, IMO.

The last challenge is the muffler hangers since none of the M6 hanger bracket points match the F10 chassis. Again, no big deal for any good muffler shop. They just cut off the old hangers on the muffler (or leave on) and fabricate some new hangers from rod stock to match up with the mounting points. Not as nice looking as the factory hangers but the work just the same. The finished muffler will hang about 1 lower than the stock muffler but you can hardly notice it.

Once done, the big surprise is the sound. Not totally unfamiliar with sports muffler sound on factory stock cars like AMG63 and Audi S4, I was hoping for something close. Well, these M6 mufflers do not disappoint. On cold start up and off idle part throtlle, the mufflers are heard. On WOT from a stop, these muffler are heard! NO, they dont sound as loud and raw like the high end systems with their full mandrel bent pipes, X pipes, and resonator delete, but no question...these M6 muffler do make their presence known.

At steady cruise, the muffler are barely noticable. At part throttle or any small throttle change (making turns, changing lanes, the mufflers drone a bit (more like a BRRRRRROOM sound) between 1500-2500.

And that is the problem, at least for me. Its too loud sometimes and quiet at other times. I just didnt notice this with the AMG nor the S4 that I have driven. This could be the the Merc is a non turbo engine and has a different firing order (and bigger displacement) and the S4 is a blown 6 with a likewise different firing order. Ive not heard F10 posters who have done the M6 muffler mod to their 535i complain of this variance in sound nor the drone/broom sound at low speeds...perhaps its peculiar to the N63 V8. Or, maybe Im just getting too old.

The too loud for me is at off idle and slow speeds. The car sounds off (!!!) and attracts attention. It seems to attract the young guys with in other souped up cars to take notice and maybe want to street race you. Im too old for that (lol).

Im back from a 600mile road trip visiting buddies who are car guys. One has a souped up NSX and the other a vintage Chevy V8 on headers. Both absolutely love my M6 muffler mod and said that it sounded great and could be even louder. Neither of them had or know much about BMW cars, so what do they know (lol).

So, here's a quick picture log:
-First pic shows the transition pipe from the 550i exhaust to the M6 muffler inlet. The twin stubs added to M6 muffler exit and 3 1/2 tip finishers slid on.
-Next pic shows the M6 muffler mod done with quad tips, staggered and 1/2" from rear facia.
-Last Pic shows the M6 muffler mod post mortem...just removed from my F10.

Sorry I can't post video/sound clip but trust me...it DOES sounds like the other posters M6 mod sound clips (only louder in person).

Final Thoughts: M6 muffler mod- Yes it will fit. Its cheap, loud and fun. But, NOT as nice, refined as a factory tuned system (stock F10 M5 system) or tuned high end tuned system.

Note to self: Im getting too old for this, so its back to the stock F10 system, listening to cabin music, and enjoying the quiet ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4852.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	359780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4865.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	359781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4957.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	359782  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Fantastic review of your experience! Thanks for posting!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
Eddie, that's how I feel too with my M6 muffler on the 550i. I have another friend with M6 mufflers on a 535 and his does not have the "BRRRRR" sound during low speeds. I guess it's the engine. On the highway, you don't even notice it AT ALL unless you step on it to change lanes.

I think the M6 mufflers are much better on the 535 than the 550. It has a nice low growl and rumble during low RPMs and loud during WOT. It's an easier mod to quad tips too. I'll try to get a clip of it on the 535.

I might try OEM E60 M5 mufflers on my F10 550i and see how that goes. I know it's a little higher, so it might not fit.

Last edited by kthankzbye; 01-29-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM

M5 setup maybe?

Thanks for your insight. That confirms what I heard from another poster who has 550i and 535i experience first hand. The M6 muffler works just fine with the 535i.

I'm still wondering how an F10 M5 system sounds in person. So, to get real sound feedback, the next time I'm in at the dealers, AND if I can turn off the fake audio sound track, I'll test drive a F10 M5 and listen for the sound quality. I think it will sound just right and not too loud at low speeds (I think the built in exhaust flap on the M5 muffler has a lot to do with that) .

Maybe that'll be my next mod.

BTW...from what I've seen, the e60 M5 mufflers look MUCH harder to fit into our F10 chassis. Good luck if you do....please let us know how it goes.

Last edited by HDEddie1; 01-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Ride On!

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Thanks for sharing. Sorry it didn't work out for you but others with 550i will benefit from your experience.

I'll be doing an F10 M5 exhaust mod on my F10 535i and will give my impressions as well. BTW...what tips did you have on the the M6 exhaust?

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
mods: Vollkommen front lip|M5 grill|M5 exhaust|M5 diffuser|Vibrant resonator|BMS stage 1|ACS springs|Suntek full front-end clearbra|FormulaOne Pinnacle tint 35%|clear reflectors|rear fog light switch|JBL ms-8 audio processor|Morel subwoofer
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Great post, thanks. It sounds like the M6 mufflers are made for me. But, the 535I is a travel car and it wouldn't be a prudent mod. But damn, they sound perfect.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM

3 1/2" generic tips

CyclePimps:
The tips were a generic, no name stainless double walled tip, 3 1/2" diameter round x 5 1/2" long, 15 degree slant, with 2 1/4" inlet side. This size tips work great I think because they fill the facia opening enough and yet leave enough visual space all around (about 1/2"). Plus, if you flare the 2 1/4" side just slightly, the tips slide onto the new muffler exit stubs easily and you can set the length where you want.
Pic below show the tip slid on just before welding and hanger connections.

BTW CyclePimps: Just wondering...When you do the factory F10 M5 system, wouldn't you just keep the stock tips and retro fit the rear with an M5 facia?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4855.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	359846  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Ride On!

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
BTW CyclePimps: Just wondering...When you do the factory F10 M5 system, wouldn't you just keep the stock tips and retro fit the rear with an M5 facia?
Thanks Eddie. Although they are generic, your tips have the look that I like. As you mentioned, the 3.5" or 90mm diameter sized tips are perfect for the M5 diffuser. The M5 stock exhaust tips are about 3.25" or 82-83mm. I'd like it a bit larger for a more aggressive look which will also fill in the M5 diffuser opening a bit more.

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
mods: Vollkommen front lip|M5 grill|M5 exhaust|M5 diffuser|Vibrant resonator|BMS stage 1|ACS springs|Suntek full front-end clearbra|FormulaOne Pinnacle tint 35%|clear reflectors|rear fog light switch|JBL ms-8 audio processor|Morel subwoofer