Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 AM

Mein Auto: caterham
3.0D grinding/bearing noise when cold

My 2007 X5 3.0D sometimes makes a noise as if a bearing is shot. It comes from the engine bay, it lasts for a few seconds only and happens about 1 1/2 minutes after starting from cold. It only happens once and only occasionally.
Anybody know what this could be. The BMW dealer says it is nothing and they cannot find a fault.
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to anything that spins while the motor is running. It is not uncommon for something with a failing bearing to make noise until it warms up. Check the alternator, belt tensioner, etc. It should be a very easy diagnosis.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the note, but the noise only lasts a few seconds and not very often, so there is no way I can get out of the car, open the bonnet, put on my stethescope in a few seconds!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
That's completely freaky, just stumbled on this thread in error.

I have a 2011 X3 3.0d, and noticed under load, say acceleration, I get some noise like (as you say) a bearing shot somewhere. I thought it was tranmission.

Before I go in for service tomorrow, I was just playing with it to reproduce. I can easily reproduce (which is great for show and tell ;-) by stand still revving hard and when the engine comes back down from high revs you get this loud (if you have the bonnet up) scraping noise ...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM

My noise does not happen under load, normally near idle and only for a few seconds.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Jgroarke yours may be a waste gate releasing boost, I've noticed between shifts at high rpm, it can be fairly noticeable.

Jay
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaux View Post
Thanks for the note, but the noise only lasts a few seconds and not very often, so there is no way I can get out of the car, open the bonnet, put on my stethescope in a few seconds!

Leave the truck overnight, I would expect it happens most frequently when everything is cold. Open the hood, then have another person start it up. Easy peasy. Honestly, a failed tensioner or seized alternator will leave you stuck on the side of the road. It is worth the 10 minutes total it takes to check.

I would also inspect all belts and the tensioner. It could very well be a belt that slips a bit and whines or squeels when cold.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the posts. It happens at or near idle revs, so wastegate is not the issue.
It is definitely not a slipping belt noise, but could be a tensioner bearing.
If anyone has had this problem, please do advise what caused it.
Thanks