Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
P0128 - Thermostat question

Hello Everyone,
I just received a P0128 error code and per some forums, it is stating that it is an issue with having to replace the thermostat. I checked the Coolant level today and, that little red stick is all the way in the bottom. Is that a good sign that the thermostat needs to be replaced? I have been driving my car for a while and I have not received any "low coolant" sign yet.

2001-325i, 160kmiles

Please let me know
THanks
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvasg View Post
Hello Everyone,
I just received a P0128 error code and per some forums, it is stating that it is an issue with having to replace the thermostat. I checked the Coolant level today and, that little red stick is all the way in the bottom. Is that a good sign that the thermostat needs to be replaced? I have been driving my car for a while and I have not received any "low coolant" sign yet.

2001-325i, 160kmiles

Please let me know
THanks
This codes has nothing to do with the coolant level. Your t-stat malfunctioning (stuck open) and your engine either cannot get up to normal operating temperature or it takes too long to get there. There is no magical fix as far as I know other than replacing the t-stat.
We are in the winter. If you are living in a cold area, this could be an issue. When it happened to me, it was summer. I drove the car in that condition for months before fixing it. I live in Florida
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Coupe OR Never

I just looked. You are in TX. So not so bad. Plus the low coolant level could be in your advantage. So I wouldn't bring that level up. Don't add. It will only make your engine run cooler...
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Alway keep your coolant level up to the proper amount, no matter what condition your thermostat is in.
Top off your coolant.
Replace your thermostat as soon as possible.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Coupe OR Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Alway keep your coolant level up to the proper amount, no matter what condition your thermostat is in.
Top off your coolant.
Replace your thermostat as soon as possible.
Obviously, I didn't recommend him running the radiator half full.
His is just a little low on coolant. His low coolant light hasn't even come on yet. We are talking about very minor amount here.
Running the engine way too cool is not as bad as running it hot but still not a very good thing especially in the winter time...

Hopefully he will take care of it soon...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks guys for all the comments. One of my friends who has a similair car had recommended to replace my water pump along with the thermostat at same time.

Is this something you guys would recommend as well?

I would get it done with a private mechanic and not dealer so I figured might as well get it done at same time? Any thoughts?

Amrit
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Coupe OR Never

Absolutely!..

T-stat, water pump, tensioners, idle pulley, belts, hoses. expansion tank and more. Check the forum for "Cooling System Overhaul" and you will find tons of info picture tutotials etc...
If you are over 60k miles and this has never been done, you should do it as a preventative maintenance.
I have done mine a few years ago at around 60k miles.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 AM

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I'm planning on getting my thermostat & water pump replaced at same time.
I have had my car for 12 beautiful years so far. I have about 160k miles now. Hope it keeps going.

This forum has been great for all kinds of suggestions and opinion.
Really, thanks again.
amrit
Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 AM
self-effacing bmw owner

Mein Auto: '04 325i
12 years on original cooling system is pretty good! i had to replace my thermostat after less than 5 years... i also did a full cooling overhaul (radiator, pump, tank, hoses, the works) @ 7 years. the winters up here are much harder on our cars though.

change all your hoses and your expansion tank while you're at it - it's only a matter of time before they leak, and the cost of doing the work together will be lower.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkus View Post
12 years on original cooling system is pretty good! i had to replace my thermostat after less than 5 years... i also did a full cooling overhaul (radiator, pump, tank, hoses, the works) @ 7 years. the winters up here are much harder on our cars though.

change all your hoses and your expansion tank while you're at it - it's only a matter of time before they leak, and the cost of doing the work together will be lower.
+1

had my expansion tank explode on me. fortunately i was in the parking lot of a mechanic. i was taking my girlfriend to drop her car off. we took hers home