Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Door lock 92 325i

When ever I turn my key to lock most of the times the locks will go back up to beimg unlocked, but then sometimes it will lock, is something wrong with my locking sytem?
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
More likely it's the microswitch in the door latch. It tells the central locking system if the door is closed or not. If the microswitch is bad, the system thinks it's not shut all the way and won't let the solenoid lock the door. You turn the key, it pulls the lock down, but as soon as you release it, the solenoid kicks it up again.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Yah thats what it does
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
More likely it's the microswitch in the door latch. It tells the central locking system if the door is closed or not. If the microswitch is bad, the system thinks it's not shut all the way and won't let the solenoid lock the door. You turn the key, it pulls the lock down, but as soon as you release it, the solenoid kicks it up again.
Yes. This. Pelican should have the replacement microswitch, that's where I got mine.

Something else to check, the locking knob bar may have gotten shifted out of position. I don't remember if when mine bent if it would occasionally lock or not, but it's relatively easy to check, and you don't have to buy any replacement parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...