Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-10-2017, 06:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Where would you live/retire if money was not the object?

Hypothetical question - assume that money is not a problem - say, you've got a handful of millions - not billions... where would you choose to live, and why?

Other assumptions - you're a man/woman of leisure - you don't need to work, but can choose to if you wish... or, do whatever you would like to do in 'retirement' - no matter your current age. Be that cooking, gardening, painting, sky-diving - whatever you want... obviously your chosen pastime might affect your choice of place to live.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: VW Wabbit
I wouldn't buy one giant house. I'd have a "smaller" house in Denmark, one in Italy or France and one on the east coast of the US somewhere.

For occupation I would buy a 1000 acre farm somewhere and build a giant dog rescue facility and just rescue dogs all day. You can come and adopt the dogs, or the dogs can just stay the rest of their lives and have fun.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 03-10-2017, 10:32 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Freiburg, Germany

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-10-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW-less for now
Must.Not.Have.Snow.

I have a thing for mountains and lake/sea. Can't stand crowded area, yet I want 2-3 McDonalds within 15 minutes.

Azur or Amalfi Coasts are beautiful but I'd prefer California, USA.

Last edited by Saintor; 03-10-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Smaller homes and either follow the sun or follow the seasons for optimal fly fishing...
Old 03-10-2017, 03:13 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
20-100 acres in the southern Sangre de Cristos mountains our home base and escape to the Turks & Caicos or northern Kauai/western Big Island for 1-2 months of beach time. Rent out the beach house while we're yucking it up with the wildlife and we'd be hard pressed to run out of money.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
I'd live in a Park Ave. penthouse with great views of Central Park
Also, reserved parking in an underground garage located beneath the building so I can access my car so I can take the elevator right down to the garage and get into my car and drive off 24/7.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
I'd occasionally hang out where you grew up part of the time, SE England. Otherwise, it'd be where Frau Putzer and I grew up, coastal Virginia, or my ancestral homeland, the mountains of North Carolina. It's funny how you gravitate back to where you came from later in life.

We're actually moving reasonably close to my ancestral homeland, but at a lower altitude and with milder weather, and also: no state income tax, no front license plates, low crime, and lax gun laws. It's also less than 300 miles from Barber Motorsports Park (home of Porsche's driving schools I the U.S.), Virginia International Raceway, and Road Atlanta. The latter two are where BMW holds most of their Advanced M Schools, near the U.S. BMW factory.

I hated my government bureaucrat job and retired at the first possible chance. Actually, a more accurate assessment is that my job hated me. Anyway, I have a "secret project" that I'm slowly working on. It will make me somewhere between $0 and $1M. Ironically, it's doing what I was doing for the government and using skills I developed at my government job. But, this time I'm doing it for me and it's fun. I don't need the money, thanks to family money. My government job would have been fun and I would still be there except for the assholes I worked for.

If my secret project makes me anything past $129,245, I'm buying a 911 and drive it back to where I worked. (As a retiree, I still have gym, beach, tennis court, boat ramp, credit union, and auto hobby shop privileges there.) They were pissed about my M3 and my 535i. I figure a new 911 would piss them off even more. (I could afford a 911 now, but I want to earn it instead of buying it with family money.)

Somewhere along the way, I want to spend a few weeks in Germany before it goes down the tubes. I want to do see the German car museums and factories, and get Sabina to haul me around the Ring, or do it myself in the BMW M School there. I figure we'll do one of those river cruises, too. I spent a lot of time at sea at my job and in the reserves. I figure with a river cruise if I don't like it I can swim to shore if necessary. (I'm pretty sure the Rhine River doesn't have bull sharks, alligators, or water moccasins. The rivers here have all three.)

After Germany and except for a few trips to England, I'll be happy staying close to home and our cats, and visiting friends, family, BMP, VIR, and RA. Our upcoming new house will have everything I need, including a pool, and a three-car garage with a lift, heat, and floor drains (for 12-month car washing). "Autoputzer" is German for "car washer."

Last edited by Autoputzer; 03-10-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
Early in retirement, you can live anywhere. When one is too old, one cannot travel well and needs friends and relatives. Culture is important, too. If you are Polish, maybe Chicago is ok but not Bali. So is medical care. Tahiti is an example of limited medical care even though it's popular.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:18 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Carmel California or maybe Monterrey. Somewhere around there. Why? Weather, Food, and Laguna Seca

OR

Basically stay put since I'm close to where I grew up (WNC) and close to some nice tracks (Road Atlanta, BMW Driving Schools) or roads (Appalachian Mountains) and near a huge airport (easy to fly NE where in the world.)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by F32Fleet; 03-11-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 AM

I've been looking at properties in Riverside or Northern San Diego counties in CA. Now there are some expensive properties here - but I'm looking at 2-5 acres with RV parking.. that said - I'd not call CA my primary residence (for tax reasons mainly). If I had the money, while I could, I'd travel in an RV - just following the sun and keeping us out of the hot/cold zones. My wife is from Montana, so I'd grab a piece of land up there - 30+ acres for the tax benefit, put in solar, a septic, build a small storage building and spend at least a couple of months up there enjoying no/low bug season there and practicing my long distance rifle on my own land. Oh and I'd get a BN-36 rifle in 30-06 for that - because it is the ultimate in hunting + self defense in a single package - if you are into shooting, check out that rifle - it's a blast...

I have kept an eye on places around where I grew up in England - but a little further south in Devon I found a place for about 2M GBP that has 175 acres and a mile of salmon river fishing... now that sounds like a good place to spend the salmon run...
Old 03-11-2017, 07:05 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
I've been looking at properties in Riverside or Northern San Diego counties in CA. Now there are some expensive properties here - but I'm looking at 2-5 acres with RV parking.. that said - I'd not call CA my primary residence (for tax reasons mainly). If I had the money, while I could, I'd travel in an RV - just following the sun and keeping us out of the hot/cold zones. My wife is from Montana, so I'd grab a piece of land up there - 30+ acres for the tax benefit, put in solar, a septic, build a small storage building and spend at least a couple of months up there enjoying no/low bug season there and practicing my long distance rifle on my own land. Oh and I'd get a BN-36 rifle in 30-06 for that - because it is the ultimate in hunting + self defense in a single package - if you are into shooting, check out that rifle - it's a blast...

I have kept an eye on places around where I grew up in England - but a little further south in Devon I found a place for about 2M GBP that has 175 acres and a mile of salmon river fishing... now that sounds like a good place to spend the salmon run...
Very nice problems to have!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Very nice problems to have!

it sure would be... I'm not there yet.

I maintain a spreadsheet of "I found this nice place online" - it's interesting to find an area you like, then scoot around the map looking a houses that are simply staggeringly priced. One of the "not ridiclously priced' places I found in Northern San Diego county stood out to me - it has an english telephone box at the front gate... it has a bar with a beer tap, and it has guest quarters... the thing that would stop me buying it - the garden - it's immaculately manicured lawns and boxwood hedges... that's WAaaaay too much to deal with... I like xeriscape + rocks + natural grasses... something that could handle me leaving it for 4-5 months...

That said - in the spreadsheet I have apartments in Denver, NYC, Las Vegas, Chicago, Boston and Tampa area - those are "I got 6 numbers on powerball when it was more than $500M jackpot' - ie, never happening, but nice to dream once in a while.

My original SoCal pied-à-terre was just marked as 'Sold' - it had been on the market for a couple of years - finally sold for $3M - reduce from $3.8M when I first found it... ahh well - I liked the wine cave most of all - if I can afford the big house somewhere nearby, I can always get a similar wine cave built...
Old 03-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
I was out in San Diego for about three weeks for work. There were some nice condo's across the street from where I was working, two-story, some with driveways, some with driveways and garages. I though how cool it would be to live within walking distance of one's job. But, I quickly found out that nobody I was working with lived there. The condo's started somewhere north of $500k for a one-bedroom and quickly went up from there. A lot of the people I had worked with had transferred from Texas when their facility there was shut down. Most of them were living way out in the boonies, leaving home at 5 a.m. to get into the city, and they were looking for jobs elsewhere.

I was near the coast. My rental car was constantly pelted with seagull crap, and parking in San Diego is a constant problem, full parking lots and small parking spaces. I'd go nuts living out there and owning a nice car.

But, with a rental car and an expense account, I had a blast out there.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:28 PM
<- Bailey

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I like where I live, and would maybe commission a ranch style house instead of my split level. But I would continue to live in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY. I would only rent/hotel someplace else.

I have had one sort of job or another from the time i was 12 until I retired, so work is out.

I think the only unreachable thing on my bucket list is to learn to fly, and to own a plane.

Life is good. I am blessed. People say I am lucky, I'm not, I am fortunate.. My wife and I have worked for everything we have. We sat on the floor when we were married in our first apartment because we did not have the cash for a couch. We own a home in Westchester County, travel the world, drive what we like, winter in Florida, and have the love and respect of our child.

What more is there?

Things?

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.

Last edited by Kamdog; 03-11-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B
How much is a handful of millions?
Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM
<- Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang View Post
How much is a handful of millions?
A whole lot.....

Quote:
Chico: Any time you gotta too much, you gotta whole lot. Look, I explain it to you...sometimes you no got enough, it's too much, you gotta whole lot. Sometimes you got a little bit. You no think it's enough, somebody else maybe thinks itsa too much, itsa whole lot too. Now, itsa whole lot, itsa too much, itsa too much, itsa whole lot...same thing.
Clear?

Old 03-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Family Man User

Ha, as mud.

Seriously though, a handful of millions meaning three or four million isn't enough for many to retire on in higher cost of living areas. So if it's millions and not billions, then I'll stay at my day job until it's more than a handful...

Now, if I've got a handful of millions on top of my retirement number, then I'll stay living where I am and take somewhat frequent trips to Manhattan, London, Tokyo, etc. Reason: I like being close to DC and living in the US, but it's nice to see other places as well.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:17 PM
<- Bailey

Quote:
Ha, as mud.

Seriously though, a handful of millions meaning three or four million isn't enough for many to retire on in higher cost of living areas. So if it's millions and not billions, then I'll stay at my day job until it's more than a handful...

Now, if I've got a handful of millions on top of my retirement number, then I'll stay living where I am and take somewhat frequent trips to Manhattan, London, Tokyo, etc. Reason: I like being close to DC and living in the US, but it's nice to see other places as well.
If I hit the big lottery, and pulled down a hundred millon after taxes, IMO, my life wouldn't change that much except for cooler cars and fancier trips.

Maybe I would spring for more tennis lessons to improve in my sport, and take up a hobby, like knitting, or golf, or crochet or some such.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
If I hit the big lottery, and pulled down a hundred millon after taxes, IMO, my life wouldn't change that much except for cooler cars and fancier trips.

Maybe I would spring for more tennis lessons to improve in my sport, and take up a hobby, like knitting, or golf, or crochet or some such.
Agreed.

I'd probably endow some positions at my alma maters and give more to my churches and chosen charities, though.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:31 PM
<- Bailey

Quote:
Agreed.

I'd probably endow some positions at my alma maters and give more to my churches and chosen charities, though.
Yeah. I would up the amounts on my charity list, and add others. Anonymously.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
Given a bank account that comes from being the sole winner of a huge powerball lottery.

Somewhere in the sud tyrol, maybe Merano.
German sense of order combined with Italian food, best of both worlds. Plus Stelvio pass is close by for some driving entertainment.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I like where I live, and would maybe commission a ranch style house instead of my split level. But I would continue to live in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY. I would only rent/hotel someplace else.

I have had one sort of job or another from the time i was 12 until I retired, so work is out.

I think the only unreachable thing on my bucket list is to learn to fly, and to own a plane.

Life is good. I am blessed. People say I am lucky, I'm not, I am fortunate.. My wife and I have worked for everything we have. We sat on the floor when we were married in our first apartment because we did not have the cash for a couch. We own a home in Westchester County, travel the world, drive what we like, winter in Florida, and have the love and respect of our child.

What more is there?

Things?
I had a chance to move there (but that is a pretty big place). I would have worked for IBM in East Fishkill, but I like California (I heard that you have this thing called winter...). I also wouldn't change much, but I would move to a place where I could build a large shop and probably be closer to the coast (and SF, if only for the restaurants).
Old 03-13-2017, 07:24 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
I'd be somewhere with a beach, probably on the gulf coast of FL. Snow and cold can suck it (woke up to a temp of 3 this morning), and I have found through travel that I'm actually a beach bum trapped in a northern climate. I actually really like San Diego, too, but those warm gulf waters would probably win out

I’m usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 03-13-2017, 07:38 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M4/X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&K View Post
I'd be somewhere with a beach, probably on the gulf coast of FL. Snow and cold can suck it (woke up to a temp of 3 this morning), and I have found through travel that I'm actually a beach bum trapped in a northern climate. I actually really like San Diego, too, but those warm gulf waters would probably win out

Same here except I would be in California instead of Florida. Somewhere off of the PCH in Malibu with a house backing up to the Pacific....

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search