Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
Car will not start

All,

2000 Z3 M version. Has been sitting for a while and now went I try to start it I get nothing. No lights on the dash, not attempt to engage the starter, no radio, no taillights, no head lights. I have 12 volts at the Jump point under the hood and at the Fuse Box.

What works is the power seat, the interior lights, the trunk light, the key chime and a security light on the radio. The Battery is about 1 1/2 years old and I have had it tested at 2 places. I have charged it and I have tried a jump start with no success

This happened one other time and cleared on it own.

Two questions,

What are the sysptoms of the EWS system when it is engaged?

Could it have something to do with the key or key fob?

Where do I need to go form here? Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated!

Coy
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 AM
BE IRIE

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 1.9L M44
Do you have an alarm that may still be triggered?

1996 Z3 (M44)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 AM

None that I am aware of
Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
Mine is in the same condition as yours. I've put two different batteries in after full charge and can not get the car to turn over. I think it is either the alternator or the starter but am subscribed. I was having a charge down which I thought was from a fault door sensor or actuator. Right now the car is not needed as it is not my daily driver but race season is coming in 8 weeks so something is going to be done to address the issue.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM

Z3Papa, do any of the lights come on, oil, air bag, seat belt, etc when you turn the iginition switch to the "ON" position? Mine doesn't.

Coy
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: Ford Explorer
Pull the Codes

Have you pulled the codes to see if that provides any further info?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy View Post
Z3Papa, do any of the lights come on, oil, air bag, seat belt, etc when you turn the iginition switch to the "ON" position? Mine doesn't.

Coy
yes, they all come on in the on position strong but car just clicks.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM

The car doesn't appear to have any power but I'll have to check, good idea, thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
If the lights come on, but you just get clicks, in my experience that is a bad battery. May need a charge, or you may need a new one.

Check the battery voltage while you try to crank. It will probably drop VERY low.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
If the lights come on, but you just get clicks, in my experience that is a bad battery. May need a charge, or you may need a new one.

Check the battery voltage while you try to crank. It will probably drop VERY low.
I'm embarrassed to admit you were right. Both my regular and Deka lightweight batteries appeared to take a full charge from my battery charger but neither would start the car. Bought a new battery and the car fired right up. I suspect I have a slow drain which I suspect is from a faulty door or trunk actuator as my remote entry is having little issues as well. I'll keep the car on a battery tender and get it sorted out but thanks for the input.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Glad I could help.

These cars have small drains for various things, like the remote entry must have to power to "listen" for a signal.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM

OK,

Back to my problem. I get absolutely NOTHING when I turn the ignition switch to the on position. No lights, no clicks, no radio. Again what DOES work is the power seat, the clock, the key in the ignition door open chime, the passenger compartment overhead light and the trunk light.

Any thoughts?????

Coy
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 Roadster
Have a 2000 Z3 that is experiencing similar problem. Code reader indicates that EWS is locking out the starter; something about engine speed signal. End result is the car lights up (until battery went dead from sitting) but starter will not turn.