Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
DSC, ABS, and Brake light all on

I have a 2000 528i with 140,000 miles. I have just recently replaced front and rear brake pads and rotors as well as I replaced both front and rear wear sensors. I had all 3 lights coming on and off for a period of time(couple weeks) and figured if I replaced all the light would turn off. After replacing brake components, I still had light so I checked wheel sensors and found right front sensor bad using diode setting on meter. I replaced wheel sensor and all checked out as far as readings at abs module. I have tried numerous attempts to reset lights and no luck. I don't get any codes using obdII at engine compartment plug or under dash plug. Last night I hit a large bump with front left tire and lights went off and stayed off for a couple starts then back on this morning. Abs seems to work if i hit brakes on slippery roads. Any ideas?? Thought about opening my abs module up to see if any broken wires but didn't know if that was wise or if I should just send to have rebuilt?
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckjim View Post
I found right front sensor bad using diode setting on meter
That sentence implies you're aware of this thread:
- How to diagnose the BMW ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta (1)

Quote:
I have tried numerous attempts to reset lights and no luck
There is no way to 'reset' the light, per se. You have to fix the problem, which, almost always, is the replacement of a wheel speed sensor or a repair of the ABS control module.

Quote:
I don't get any codes using obdII at engine compartment plug or under dash plug.
You won't get any OBDII codes. Well, you might get a P0500, like I did, but it would be bogus in most cases.
- What is this bogus P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction anyway?

Quote:
Last night I hit a large bump with front left tire and lights went off and stayed off for a couple starts then back on this morning.
Almost always, the ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta is intermittent. So the bump doesn't really tell you all that much.

Have you looked yet at the 7th aluminum wire inside the ABS control module?
- What breaks inside an ABS control module anyway (1)

Quote:
Thought about opening my abs module up to see if any broken wires but didn't know if that was wise or if I should just send to have rebuilt?
You can do both. All the rebuilders say they will work on an open module.
- Summary of all known ABS control module rebuilder options & new suppliers with prices (1)

My suggestion?
1. Confirm the wheel speed sensor DMM test (seems like you have already)
2. Slice open the ABS control module with an Exacto knife (open it upside down so the shaving spill away from the Silicone goop)
3. Probe the 7th aluminum wire with a toothpick

If that shows up as loose, then pack it up and send it off to the rebuilders after snapping a few photos of BOTH sides (so you can tell if they replaced either of the two modules on the backside).

4. Keep us informed.

Note: There are 20-odd sensors connected to the ABS system so your problem can be any number of those - but they rarely go. The next-most commonly implicated sensors are the brake pressure sensor and the three steering wheel sensors.
- ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic test DIY (1)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM

thanks BlueBee

Thanks for the great info. I will keep everyone here posted. Originally looked at module masters website where they run you through a list of things to check and imput and depending on what you imput such as trifecta of lights stay on all the time or they are on intermittently, they will tell you if they think it's in your abs module or not? I entered that lights stay on all the time and they said most likely not abs module then last night they went off for a while. Wondering about wiring from abs module to wheel sensor location in wheel well as I wasn't impressed at condition of wires but they test good at abs module. Anyway, I will keep after this. any suggestions on repair facility? Module masters is $300?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
any suggestions on repair facility? Module masters is $300?
This is all in the options thread I pointed you to - so I'll just summarize below.

I used ATE for around $100 and I was happy with all but their glue job in the end but most people reocmmend BBA Reman and some people swear you should stay away from ATE so YMMV.

Most try to get the BBA special for around $100 - so you might want to look at how to do that (in that thread).
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM

Ok so I have been driving all week with trifecta of lights on and just for giggles I purposely hit same bump that shut those lights off earlier and they went off and stayed off all the way home. Shut off car and restarted and still off? Any ideas? I'm sure it will be coming back soon. Could it be shorting wires at wheel sensor? Does anyone know which pins to check for closed contact of brake wear sensors in same box as I tested wheel sensors? Also, when I changed right front wheel sensor I didn't like condition of wires running from wheel sensor through fender well so I taped them with a bit of electrical tape.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know which pins to check for closed contact of brake wear sensors in same box as I tested wheel sensors? .
This should probably be more appropriately asked in the Brake Pressure Sensor thread that I already pointed you to.

Last edited by bluebee; 02-01-2013 at 11:46 AM.