Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535 e39 1999
hi. help please leak top hose with picture

hi great forum.

anyone have an idea on what part i need to stop this small leak i have...

thanks for your time and advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 799.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	359896  
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 525i
It is available as a "repair nipple" with BMW part no. 17 11 0 419 132, by Behr. Really cheap, but sometimes a bit tricky to find. During replacement, don't worry if the bottom part of the old one snaps off and falls inside the radiator end tank. The new one just snaps in place.
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
'95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
How old and how many miles you have on your radiator? If its fairly new and that is the only defect you can purchase a 90 degree elbow fitting which is what appears to be leaking in that picture. If not swap the radiator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0005000894.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	359901  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
That looks like the first sign of a cooling system overhaul in need!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nline6 View Post
That looks like the first sign of a cooling system overhaul in need!
Typing /nipple F3 gets this:
- Cooling system overhaul mishaps (broken radiator nipple) (crooked fan clutch nut) (broken bleeder screw) (thermostat loom misplaced) (broken expansion tank nipple & cn90 repair) (expansion tank fell apart inside)
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i, 2002 540i
When you re-attach the "curvy" overflow hose, make sure the hose clamp screw is on the side and not the top. When the fan shroud is installed, if the screw is on the top, it can put downward pressure on the nipple and cause it to leak.!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 PM

17110419132 only for sale is in the usa ... could i fix this part untill new part arrives, would it be safe to drive at moment and as it is a tini leak would it loose lotts of coolant.

thanks as always
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i; 2010 550i
I wouldn't say it's safe to drive like this but manageable if the loss is small. But just from the picture no one can tell that because the coolant evaporates quickly. So this leak might be tiny or major.

The real danger is if it goes so low on coolant that some air gets into the inner circulation. So make sure the coolant level is o.k. And just because there is some coolant in the expansion tank it doesn't mean there is no air in the system. Be aware of any coolant level changes! Avoid long city driving, stop and go traffic.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 AM

thank you

fixed

got new part, took the old one out using a trick . all good now

Last edited by bm535bbg; 01-31-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Slip slidin around town

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Typing /nipple F3 gets this:
- Cooling system overhaul mishaps (broken radiator nipple) (crooked fan clutch nut) (broken bleeder screw) (thermostat loom misplaced) (broken expansion tank nipple & cn90 repair) (expansion tank fell apart inside)
So... are you like smarterchild or somthing? Answer everything with a link? Not that its not valued of corse.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 AM

simple push down , turn enti clockwise using pressure upwards
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
So... are you like smarterchild or somthing? Answer everything with a link? Not that its not valued of corse.
I'm confused where you're coming from, and I don't know, offhand, what a "smarterchild" is, so I'll simply explain everyone helps in the way that they can; I try to answer the question with a link to the answer.
Hope that explanation helps.

Quote:
Goal: Devise an ingenious method to remove this radiator nipple, intact!
Reason: It would improve the fan shroud removal DIY steps by eliminating the need to destroy the factory hose clamp.

DETAILS:
- One of the steps in the fan shroud removal process is destroying the factory clamp on the expansion tank overflow hose into the radiator nipple.
- Very often, this brittle nipple breaks off while you're manhandling the factory clamp (due both to age and poor design of the factory nipple)
- Even if the nipple doesn't break off, you now have to place a less-than-optimal clamp on the end of the hose securing it to the nipple
- If you put that clamp on wrong (see cn90 warnings), it will even interfere with the placement of the fan shroud

Caveat:
- Even with a feasible method of nipple removal, an old nipple might still be fragile and break, so always keep a spare on hand.

REQUEST:
- Can one of the brighter folks on this forum devise a method to remove the radiator nipple intact?

Last edited by bluebee; 01-31-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540i6
Quote:
spell much... just to keep your negativity going..

dave
03 540i6
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Slip slidin around town

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540nj View Post
spell much... just to keep your negativity going..

dave
03 540i6
Excuse me? How was what I said negative? I just asked a question. SmarterChild was a robotic creatin on AOL instant messenger back in the early 2000s, whos responses were siri like if you know what i mean, I was joking. I dont know who you think you are. Do you always start your sentance's like that, in lower case. And your no grammer nazi, so nice try.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Slip slidin around town

Quote:
I'm confused where you're coming from, and I don't know, offhand, what a "smarterchild" is, so I'll simply explain my algorithm of answering everything with a link.

Of my 15 thousand posts, almost every one has a link. On purpose.

And, of my, oh, about 50 repairs and about 100 mistakes, almost every one has a DIY (or a how-not-to DIY). Again, by design.

So, to answer your question, the reason for the links is that I rebel against the posts which say 'do a search', just as I rebel against the "ask me why" without actually showing my own experience. So, I show people where to find the information they are asking about (rather than repeat the answers over and over again in each thread).

This is efficient, and helkful for all. It only takes a single click by you to see that.

Specifcially, one of those links above is a very detailed and very personal view of that radiator nipple, which, typically for my threads, includes photos, diagrams, part numbers, supplier prices, a DIY for removal, a DIY for replacement, and even autopsy photos from the INSIDE of the radiator, looking OUT to that nipple.

You see, if you look at my tagline, I like to add value - and my particular way of doing so is to supply a link to that value.

Hope that explanation helps.
Very much, I thought more people would know what smarterchild was. I never said that you didnt add value, you add much to this forum. My comment was more directed towards your replys are similer to a google search. That was my point. No harm intended.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540i6
Quote:
Excuse me? How was what I said negative? I just asked a question. SmarterChild was a robotic creatin on AOL instant messenger back in the early 2000s, whos responses were siri like if you know what i mean, I was joking. I dont know who you think you are. Do you always start your sentance's like that, in lower case. And your no grammer nazi, so nice try.
I guess I misread your intent , for that I apologize. It seems like I wasn't the only one to read it that way. A "robotic cretin", sounds like a ramones song to me. Have a nice day.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Slip slidin around town

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540nj View Post
I guess I misread your intent , for that I apologize. It seems like I wasn't the only one to read it that way. A "robotic cretin", sounds like a ramones song to me. Have a nice day.
Creation, All is well in the land of oz.