Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 bmw 323i
Which car should I get

Option 1 BMW https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3575113138/xh7m8

Option 2 eclipse

Has replaced the spark plugs the spark plug wire the water pump the timing belt the timing belt adjusters both valve cover Gaskets the Exhauste the lights hids outs side 10,000k leds inside and led license plates

Option 3 http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/3509679378.html

Option 4 lease brand new Nissan sentra or Honda

I'm in high school
Ads by Google
Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 PM

131 k on the eclipse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359589433.943389.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	359904   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359589446.943911.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	359905   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359589463.043416.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	359906  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Depends... do you need space?
That BMW is clearly better about that.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
being in high school (and unless u'r looking for a mechanical degree in college), i would clear away from the BMW. it requires a lot of attention and a deep pocket to maintain.
dunno much about the eclipse, but being a jap car, i would assume it requires very low maintenance.
get a Jap car

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Option 5: Buy a bone stock 2004 or 2005 Honda Civic Si hatchback. You won't regret it.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
My advice is to avoid making car payments as long as you can - so do not lease or buy anything with payments. Do not get tied down to debt right now - there are more important things to dfo than to work all the time just to pay for a car.

The BMW is nice but will cost you some in maintenance. The Eclipse will be a pretty good car with decent gas mileage. Either one would work for you, but personally I think the Eclipse will be easier to live with and cost less to own.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 AM

My dad would pay for the lease
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Option 5: Buy a bone stock 2004 or 2005 Honda Civic Si hatchback. You won't regret it.
+1. I'd avoid 2000 and newer Eclipses in general. They tend to be bought by those that couldn't afford what they really wanted, and don't maintain them properly. That's why they're cheap used.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
+1. I'd avoid 2000 and newer eclipses in general. They tend to be bought by those that couldn't afford what they really wanted, and don't maintain them properly. That's why they're cheap used.
+2 They look ok, but are terrible cars.

Last edited by SJBimmer; 01-31-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
Unless you can really get in and fix thongs yourself and can afford atleast 1 grand in maintenance per year don't get a Bimmer. They really aren't too bad to maintain if you can do all of the work yourself. They really are not bad to work on. Mine is my 3rd car and by far the easiest to work on. Be prepared for cooling system and suspension atleast. Then probably CCV and VCG read the e46 wiki to get a feel for what problems you may run into. Like has been stated about BMs are not the kind of car you service once a year by changing oil air filter and spark plugs. I have my hood up every weekend just trying to find things to fix before they go caput

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerT View Post
Unless you can really get in and fix thongs yourself and can afford atleast 1 grand in maintenance per year don't get a Bimmer. They really aren't too bad to maintain if you can do all of the work yourself. They really are not bad to work on. Mine is my 3rd car and by far the easiest to work on. Be prepared for cooling system and suspension atleast. Then probably CCV and VCG read the e46 wiki to get a feel for what problems you may run into. Like has been stated about BMs are not the kind of car you service once a year by changing oil air filter and spark plugs. I have my hood up every weekend just trying to find things to fix before they go caput

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Tanner i dont know if youve looked at the OP's post history, but hes had an e46 for a little while now and seems to have nothing but trouble with it. I dont know why he is considering another one at this point.

OP-

Im sure youve been told this before, but why dont you just get a good cheap economy car for now while you finish school? I drove my first car through college before i paid cash for my BMW, and even then i should have had more money stashed away for repairs. My car also got the crap beat out of it at school in the small crappy parking lots and drunk kids who have no respect for other peoples property, so i glad i didnt have a nice car then.

At your age you need to spend your time chasing girls and making questionable choices, not stressing and working on your car every other weekend!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshade40 View Post
My dad would pay for the lease
This. Don't look back. Focus on your education and go as far as you can while accumulating as little debt as possible. You have precious few years to get your sh!t together, so don't waste them. Then focus on getting a good job in your chosen field. Once you've "arrived" reward yourself with a new car, as you will have truly earned it.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfTheLost View Post
OP-

Im sure youve been told this before, but why dont you just get a good cheap economy car for now while you finish school? I drove my first car through college before i paid cash for my BMW, and even then i should have had more money stashed away for repairs. My car also got the crap beat out of it at school in the small crappy parking lots and drunk kids who have no respect for other peoples property, so i glad i didnt have a nice car then.

At your age you need to spend your time chasing girls and making questionable choices, not stressing and working on your car every other weekend!
Of his three options, this is why I suggested the Eclipse - cars at school do get the crap beat out of them. You wouldn't have to worry about keeping a lease car in perfect condition or having to repair a BMW.

I'd keep looking until I found something that felt right.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerT View Post
Unless you can really get in and fix thongs yourself
Cal you?

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin