Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i sports sedan
Question (325i E90 4 year old )Overheating issue!!

Hello Bimmer Enthusiasts

Well well well my brakepads issue was rectified on my 325i(E90) but there is another thing running in my mind.

From the past few days i am observing my engine is getting overheated and i am not sure if this is the same with other cars.
Even if i take my car for a small ride for about 4-5miles the engine gets heated rapidly and when i park my vehilce it atleast takes 45 mins for the engine to cool down(after the engine has been shut)
When i open the hood i can literally feel the heat blowing out but i dont see any steam coming out or etc and the total mileage i have done on my car is only 10k miles.
I had not used my car for like 2 years as i was abroad for work.i have recently started using the car from last month

Could there be any coolant issue?
Is this because it has a 6-Cylinder ? or all BMW cars produce lots of heat?
Anyone else who has this E90(325i) can you share your views ?

The idrive system doesnt pop up with any fault messages or warnings

Your ideas and views will be much appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
What exactly is your question? Yes, the engine gets hot when it is operating. This does not mean its overheating.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 AM

Well my question is very simple my Beemer takes lots of time to cool down completely to 0 deg after use, after you ahve parked your vehicle in the garage.Unlike other cars they cool down very rapidly.

More Precise -
1.After you drive for about 4-5 miles in the night if i want to pop up the hood then i cannot touch the hood because it will be very hot as its not the case with other cars.
2.After i have parked my vehicle in the garage i cannot stand for few mins there because the heat produced by the engine is phenomenous.

Just wanted to check if this is the common phenomena with all the BMW 325i owners.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
As long as your temp gauge is not indicating excessive temperature, this is normal. Engines do get very hot to the touch!
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Thanks Phil.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
You said overheating. Does the gage show that? If not it is normal but remember one time of overheating can cause head gasket failure which is a bad thing. Your hood will get hot too touch maybe too hot to touch if sitting in the sun.
Since you have Idrive read the coolant temperature to see if it is around 200 F...
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 AM

Thanks so much, i got the vehicle checked and also got the Coolant changed for my satisfaction.
As per the BMW service guys this is Normal.

Thanks all for sharing your views regarding this.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
No temp gauge on a 325 as far as I know

No temp gauge on a 325 as far as I know.
If you want to measure the temp you can get a elm327 for less
than 20 bucks on line and get the torque app.
Your water pump may be going bad , don't ignore it new motors
are over 6k and more typically 10k+