Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Drinker w/ Riding problem

Send a message via Yahoo to jonnywong
Mein Auto: 03 530iA
Chinese made knock-off purses, I-phones, now Its BMW knock-off?

This shizz amazes me my lovely festers!

From the Roundel:

The front-end:

To the SUV:

And here was what they said:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Niiiice!
Ads by Google
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 08 E90 328i, 07 Vette Z06
It'll never get DOT'd here in the states.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
All this type of copying is encouraged by the Chinese government, as they see it as supporting the local industries.

More than that, companies that tried to sue in china in the past lost the trial because the Chinese courts would not reward a win to the western company suing a chines company. So in essence, the Chinese government and courts allows local companies to copy anything from other countries.

mw
Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
-Eddie

Send a message via AIM to EddieNYC
Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Welcome to the New World Order
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i

Right after high school, I went to a university and about a year later, I took some time off to pursue a business venture. Two years later I sold my shares and am now back in college. Where I belong...

Every single product that originated from our officer were (and still are) copied in China. Granted the manufacturing takes place in China but that is still no excuse. After a while, I ended up putting it into our business model, knowing that sooner or later each product would get "copied" or "duplicated".

I don't know why people are so surprised with this. We as consumer keep buying this crap. All of our products were engineered, quality/ safety tested, and sold with a warranty. Yet every product that our company sold (sells) was (is eventually) copied... with NO ENGINEERING (perhaps reverse engineering), INFERIOR QUALITY (which means NO SAFETY) and of course NO WARRANTY. As a vendor it was hard to watch your clients jump ship only to return a few months later, after realizing the difference. It was even harder to watch those who made the jump and as a result went under because so many of their products were returned.

In an ever increasing globalized market, I don't understand how China can get away with this with no repercussions from the business world. Perhaps, if they offend a large enough of a corporation with deep ties, then perhaps China will change the tune of their song. Or not .
Old 02-06-2008, 04:46 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Imitation is the best form of compliment. It looks like a BMW. I'll buy one.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
When it comes to copying stuff in Asia, you can't beat the Koreans and Chinese Copy SH** sells just as good as the original items do. There is a shop that rents from me (Tenant) they sell copy LV bags and other bags. They sell about $1K-3K a day. I think they average $2K a day and that is in USD. SH** makes good money
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
the average city dwelling middle class chinese can't afford the real deal so there's a real market for knock-offs.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Number 12 of 5 or 6

Mein Auto: Non-green vehicles
I'll just drive by laughing at any chump driving one if they sell those POS's in the US.

Fools buy knockoffs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
This thread just got mmmerted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Hey, hey, if it weren't for MMMM_ERT Off Topic would totally suck.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
When it comes to copying stuff in Asia, you can't beat the Koreans and Chinese Copy SH** sells just as good as the original items do. There is a shop that rents from me (Tenant) they sell copy LV bags and other bags. They sell about $1K-3K a day. I think they average $2K a day and that is in USD. SH** makes good money
And the irony to all this the same shop that makes the cheap knock offs, also makes the real LV bags. Often times, the sewers sit next to each other. We're suckers for branding, even for BMWs. Oh boy, here come the flames.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
the average city dwelling middle class chinese can't afford the real deal so there's a real market for knock-offs.
You don't understand. Chinese loves BMWs.

Edit: BMW's chairman Norbert Reithofer said: 'The Chinese market is very important for us.'

At present, BMW has a market share of 20 per cent in the premium luxury car segment.

China was a growing market, Reithofer said, adding, 'We believe that by 2020, the Chinese automobile market will be the world's biggest.'

In the first quarter of 2007, BMW sold 10,100 vehicles in China - an increase of 34 per cent over the same period last year. BMW wants to increase car sales of 126,000 in 2006 to 150,000 this year across Asia.

The five series was given a specially stretched chassis for the Chinese market, and had 'a very good launch'.

BMW presented Friday to reporters at the Shanghai Motor Show its vision of a combination between a four-door luxury Gran Turismo with a high-performance sports car in the Concept CS Friday at the as part of a world premiere.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 02-06-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
Serves BMW (and all other companies) right for outsourcing production to China. This is not a new problem - it's been well known for years. I remember Fortune had an article in detail several years ago about that. Brand name companies outsource to China, the Chinese first produce more than ordered and sell on the black market for pennies and then simply create offshoot brand which is 1:1 copy of the original. The government's behind it, and nobody can say anything to the offenders.

Where was BMW management when they decided to open a plant there, asleep at the wheel?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: x
Do you get this kind of treatment buying a Camry in the US?

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...tm?chan=search
Old 02-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
So what is it to you that someone is driving a car that's an exact replica of your car, but costs 1/10th the money? If it is such a bother, buy the imitation.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:21 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
The Goldman confiscated OJ Simpson's watch only to find it to be a knockoff Rolex.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotoschoolhere View Post
As a vendor it was hard to watch your clients jump ship only to return a few months later, after realizing the difference. It was even harder to watch those who made the jump and as a result went under because so many of their products were returned.

In an ever increasing globalized market, I don't understand how China can get away with this with no repercussions from the business world. Perhaps, if they offend a large enough of a corporation with deep ties, then perhaps China will change the tune of their song. Or not .
The former, in bold, answers the latter, in bold.

What is the problem here? You're mad because somebody took your high quality, expensive product, replicated it, and turned it into a piece of sh.t, cheap product? Why?

The kinda people that buy cheap chinatown crap would never be able to afford the stuff from 5th ave. Likewise, the people that shop on 5th ave would never stoop so low as to wear Chinatown. Those two market segments do not intersect and can happily coexist. It boggles my mind when Gucci & Prada get their panties twisted because they saw an imitation of their $2k purse on Canal for $30 bucks. Why? Are they so insecure that they are threatened by this?? Such idiots. What exactly should happen? Get rid of all counterfeit vendors in Chinatown so that somebody would go there to buy a purse, find nobody and say, "Aw shucks, no purses for $40, I guess I'm just gonna go to 59th & 5th and get a me purse there."

Sometimes companies can be so ignorant of the things most fundamental, it's amazing, really.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Got to ride in Warren Buffet's new electric car here in Shenzhen, China
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1361721449.924941.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	363609  
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
The CHinese had been copying products for generations. I saw a 'Jeep' in China long time ago, but something just didn't look right on this thing.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk328i View Post
It'll never get DOT'd here in the states.
I'm sure the Chinese are devastated

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
So how do I check if mine is real?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
the official motto of China; "I'm sure we can do a better job of making this product worse than anyone else"

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present