Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Electrical problems please help

I have a Bmw 325i coup (07 Plate) and I have the following problem with it and I hope that you can help me out?

All of the issues below have been happening over a period of about ten weeks…
A while ago I started to notice that the car clock started to show 00.00 when I got in to it (about once a week) I would reset it to the correct time and all was well for a week or so! I would also lose all pre-programmed setting I.e trip milage, average fuel consumption and seat settings.
Then after driving the car sort or long journey, once I stop the engine and got out to lock it the car with the remote the car would lock and the alarm would go off about ten times… During that time of the alarm going off, the remote wouldn't work to stop it from sounding after the alarm stopped sounding all would work ok, but still had to reset the settings as stated in bullet point 1
This didn't happen all the time about three times a week
One night I drove home and locked the car, and the next day the car was completely dead and I had to use the key to get in, once in nothing at all not a single light came on, Called green flag and he told me it was the battery and sold me a new one… all was fine for about four weeks and the issues on bullet points 1 and 2 stared to happen again.
Just before christmas (20t Dec) I drove about half a mile up the road and parked the car up for about a hour when I returned to the car it was completely dead no power not even the hazards worked. Called green Flag and had the car towed home, no power in the car at all nothing worked at all!!
The next day I came home in my partners car and notice that the cars alarm LED was flashing… I got my keys and pressed the button to unlock it.. To my amazement the locks popped up, put the fob in the hole and the car started straight away…
I haven't got the confidence to drive the car and need it fixing asap. (it has started everyday since)
On the last time the car stopped working I unscrewed the panel under the glovebox and discounted a blue multiway connector block, after ten seconds I reconnected the block and heard relays click and the car started first time since then the cars has had the same issue.
I actually believe it could be a faulty main relay or an intelligent battery switch (IBS) that is the cause of all my problems!

P.s Just thought I would mention this, on one occasion of the car not working, I hit the dashboard and heard a noise and all the electrics came on!! And the car started!!

just an update i have had the car in at two bmw garages now and they run all the test and cant find a fault!!!

any thoughts please help
Ads by Google
Old 02-01-2013, 04:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Has anyone tested the battery? Since this is an 07, I'll assume it's your original battery... If so, I would first replace it.

//Brew

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue - New to Me)
('07 E92 328xi - Space Gray - still in the family)
Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 AM

Hi Brew thanks for response, i have had a new battery fitted and it has been registered to the car? the car is bmw now and they cant find a fault!! any more ideas would be greatly received
cheers KB
Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2416 View Post
Just thought I would mention this, on one occasion of the car not working, I hit the dashboard and heard a noise and all the electrics came on!! And the car started!!

just an update i have had the car in at two bmw garages now and they run all the test and cant find a fault!!!

Your car is home to a Gremlin.

You need an electronics detective to exorcise the Imp!

Not so easy to find....or you might acquire the skill, necessity being what is it. Maybe you'll get lucky and, when the issue occurs, you wiggle connectors until the badness is found.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 AM

it is a mightmare im sure its a relay!! but which one?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i xDrive
Sounds like you have a short in a wire or lose wire.

2009 335i xDrive MT

If there isn't three pedals then you are not really driving.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 AM

mmm..... yeap it sure does
Old 02-01-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2416 View Post
I have a Bmw 325i coup (07 Plate) and I have the following problem with it and I hope that you can help me out?

All of the issues below have been happening over a period of about ten weeks…..
A while ago I started to notice that the car clock started to show 00.00 when I got in to it (about once a week) I would reset it to the correct time and all was well for a week or so! I would also lose all pre-programmed setting I.e trip milage, average fuel consumption and seat settings.
Then after driving the car sort or long journey, once I stop the engine and got out to lock it the car with the remote the car would lock and the alarm would go off about ten times….. During that time of the alarm going off, the remote wouldn't work to stop it from sounding after the alarm stopped sounding all would work ok, but still had to reset the settings as stated in bullet point 1
This didn't happen all the time about three times a week
One night I drove home and locked the car, and the next day the car was completely dead and I had to use the key to get in, once in nothing at all not a single light came on, Called green flag and he told me it was the battery and sold me a new one….. all was fine for about four weeks and the issues on bullet points 1 and 2 stared to happen again.
Just before christmas (20t Dec) I drove about half a mile up the road and parked the car up for about a hour when I returned to the car it was completely dead no power not even the hazards worked. Called green Flag and had the car towed home, no power in the car at all nothing worked at all!!
The next day I came home in my partners car and notice that the cars alarm LED was flashing….. I got my keys and pressed the button to unlock it.. To my amazement the locks popped up, put the fob in the hole and the car started straight away…..
I haven't got the confidence to drive the car and need it fixing asap. (it has started everyday since)
On the last time the car stopped working I unscrewed the panel under the glovebox and discounted a blue multiway connector block, after ten seconds I reconnected the block and heard relays click and the car started first time since then the cars has had the same issue.
I actually believe it could be a faulty main relay or an intelligent battery switch (IBS) that is the cause of all my problems!

P.s Just thought I would mention this, on one occasion of the car not working, I hit the dashboard and heard a noise and all the electrics came on!! And the car started!!

any thoughts please help
The problems you've described are indicative of a discharged battery. Since you've replaced the battery it's unlikely (but still a possibility) the new battery is unable to hold a charge. Therefore I'd investigate if the charging system is at fault. Check to see if the charging system is generating sufficient power to operate the vehicle and charge the battery. Given the issue sounds intermittent even that test might be inconclusive. I'm thinking the most likely cause is a failing alternator.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM

i will check it out, i have tested the voltage with car not 12.65 and running 14.65 so not sure what is as the fault happens as and when it feels like! the thing that confuses me, is when i discount the blue multi-way adapter the car starts and all power is back! i think it is the general module or a main relay but which one is beyond me!! any more ideas?