Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 323i 5-Spd
Suspension Replacement Overkill?

Hi Guys. So I already acquired a set of shocks and struts. Now I am going to start collecting parts to replace the nuts and bolts that go along with this. I have attached a list of parts that I've found are associated with the job. Is this overkill?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suspension.pdf (408.5 KB, 36 views)

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S/ 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Might want to take a stroll to the local hardware store for some of that, maybe a little cheaper. Depending on what Shocks/Struts you bought, they may come with some hardware included? I didn't replace dust boots or bump stops, mine looked fine after 140K miles ehh your call. Have fun with the replacement, it was a workout for me.

03' 325i ZSP ZPP
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
I think it's good to replace nuts and bolts with new ones when doing stuff properly, but it goes bit too deep if even those got to be "genuine BMW"

I know it can be challenging to find exactly right kind and right size though. Sure way is to have piece in hand when going to store and look for another which is exactly similar, but i can't drive to store, if those pieces are missing from my suspension.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
It is definite overkill to replacing the upper spring perches. They're cadmium plated steel, so they will last the life of the car. The old strut mounts are probably fine now, but you want them to last the life of the NEW struts, so its good to replace them along with the rear shock mounts. My choice for the rest is to replace only the rubber or plastic parts, plus the rear shock mount paper gasket.
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
'95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk