Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes-Benz C350
My first BMW: Considering the X3

Thanks in advance for taking a minute to look at this. I'm currently in a 09 C350 that goes out of warranty in June. I'm looking to get into something new sometime this summer. I don't mind driving the Mercedes for a couple months without a warranty if needed.

We live in San Francisco and my wife and I share the car. She gets her pick this time and she definitely wants a small SUV. We're considering the GLK, the X3 and possibly the X5. Right now I think we'd go X3 if we were buying today.

This will be our first BMW. I have a few questions:

1) Any suggestions for BMW dealership and salesmen in San Francisco? There are several, so if anybody had a good experience I'd love to hear it.

2) I'm really surprised to see I can't get a blind-spot indicator option. For me, safety (for my wife and future child especially) is a very important consideration. That, and our summer timing, makes me feel like waiting for the 2014 might be a good option. Perhaps the model will include this feature? And I think I read somewhere that it would include an improved iDrive system?

3) I think I'd lean to the 3.5, but I want to drive both of them back-to-back to really compare. What I'm skeptical on is the agility packages that are sold?

4) Mercedes sells a Tire and Wheel package for about $1k when you buy a car. It warranty's the tires but more importantly covers free repair and refinishing for rim damage. My wife (who was not yet my wife when I bought my Mercedes) has put a bit of road rash on my wheels and i think this coverage will make my marriage happier Does BMW offer something similar? Does anybody have experience with it?

5) I intend to get the tech package so I can have lane departure features, etc. How do people like the BMW nav? Mercedes nav is frustrating at times. I prefer my iPhone.

6) Are there any configurations or packages or options that anybody feels strongly about? For example if you were considering a C Class I'd tell you: Get the lighting package and be sure to add a folding rear seat option.

7) I'm fairly sure we'll be leasing. This will be my first lease. But since moving to the Bay Area we drive far less than we used to and a lease seems pretty ideal for us. (We drove 5k miles in 2012 for example) Any comments or thoughts on that?

8) Any general advice or comments?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
You may not have to wait until September for a 2014 X3.

2011 X3 came out in January of 2011.
2012 X3 came out in September of 2011.
2013 X3 came out in April of 2013. (Engine change on the 28i).
There's a new iDrive and Nav expected for the X3 in the first half of 2013. Whether that will be the beginning of the 2014 model year is not something that BMW has announced yet. Whether the new iDrive will be released in April (or May or June) hasn't been announced either.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM
BMW x3 2013 20i Black

Mein Auto: BMW 320i, BMW X3 20i 2013
Hi, I am not from SF, however, I am a BMW person, away from all the warranty stuff. My brother is a MB person.... When you Drive a BMW, your thoughts will change.. I just bought my 2nd BMW in less than 4 years. Tried to shift to other brand, but honestly ... I couldn't ..

The x3 is a great ride .. Go for it ..

BMW X3 20i, 2013, Black x Black . New
320i 2009 - Mineral Silver - Beige 44,000km .
Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If you are buying this summer, I would compare the cost of a year end 2013 to a 2014.
What is the agility package? Do you mean M-sport package? The sport seats are pretty nice with the M-sport package and if the adjustable suspension comes in handle if you and the wife likes different suspension characteristic.
Definiety drive the 2 liter and the 3 liter engine back to back, the 2 liter engine is surprisingly quick and pretty quiet.
BMW does sell a tire and rim insuarnce, it cost about $1200 to $1500.
The lane departure features is in the driver Assistance Package, not the tech package.
Good Luck
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM

By "agility package" i meant the various upgraded suspension/handling options that I saw when running though a "build your own."

What kind of discount do you think I'd find for year-end pricing? And does that even apply if I wanted to order the car?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
May I suggest the GLK 250 Bluetec?

And if you're one of those who don't like the sat nav in German cars, the BMW one is no exception. But I think the Tech Package in the US has sat nav inclusive.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM

Az, the GLK was what I figured we'd get for at least the past year. I actually wondered if I'd ever buy anything but a Mercedes I've so thoroughly loved my C350. Can I ask why specifically you made that suggestion?

The runflats kind of annoy me, but the more angular design of the new X3's appeals to me (and is also why I like the GLK).
Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by encoder View Post
Thanks in advance for taking a minute to look at this. I'm currently in a 09 C350 that goes out of warranty in June. I'm looking to get into something new sometime this summer. I don't mind driving the Mercedes for a couple months without a warranty if needed.

We live in San Francisco and my wife and I share the car. She gets her pick this time and she definitely wants a small SUV. We're considering the GLK, the X3 and possibly the X5. Right now I think we'd go X3 if we were buying today.

1) Any suggestions for BMW dealership and salesmen in San Francisco? There are several, so if anybody had a good experience I'd love to hear it.

2) I'm really surprised to see I can't get a blind-spot indicator option. For me, safety (for my wife and future child especially) is a very important consideration. That, and our summer timing, makes me feel like waiting for the 2014 might be a good option. Perhaps the model will include this feature? And I think I read somewhere that it would include an improved iDrive system?

3) I think I'd lean to the 3.5, but I want to drive both of them back-to-back to really compare. What I'm skeptical on is the agility packages that are sold?

4) Mercedes sells a Tire and Wheel package for about $1k when you buy a car. It warranty's the tires but more importantly covers free repair and refinishing for rim damage. My wife (who was not yet my wife when I bought my Mercedes) has put a bit of road rash on my wheels and i think this coverage will make my marriage happier Does BMW offer something similar? Does anybody have experience with it?

5) I intend to get the tech package so I can have lane departure features, etc. How do people like the BMW nav? Mercedes nav is frustrating at times. I prefer my iPhone.

6) Are there any configurations or packages or options that anybody feels strongly about? For example if you were considering a C Class I'd tell you: Get the lighting package and be sure to add a folding rear seat option.

7) I'm fairly sure we'll be leasing. This will be my first lease. But since moving to the Bay Area we drive far less than we used to and a lease seems pretty ideal for us. (We drove 5k miles in 2012 for example) Any comments or thoughts on that?

Wait till the the LCI, maybe better residuals for the lease. Plus updates on the vehicle as a whole.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Always wait until something better comes along.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Az, the GLK was what I figured we'd get for at least the past year. I actually wondered if I'd ever buy anything but a Mercedes I've so thoroughly loved my C350. Can I ask why specifically you made that suggestion?

The runflats kind of annoy me, but the more angular design of the new X3's appeals to me (and is also why I like the GLK).
I like the notion of a frugal diesel engine in any car, and I don't like the X3 in standard form. I realise many many owners here will probably disagree (and hate me) but the standard seats, suspension, steering wheel are very mediocre and I wasn't enamoured with the way the standard X3 drove when I tested the 35i years back. It doesn't feel as connected as I'd like, instead too compromised for the "average" driver who wants a comfortable ride. I'm sure its technically more than proficient but it just never spoke to me, never a "Hey I'm ready to play!" sense of excitement. It felt a bit dull and for me, that's a grave sin.

My current X3 has its issues. It consumes all the fuel Saudi Arabia produces when there's an incline, yet doesn't have a lot of power. It doesn't know how to cope with manhole covers around town. It's tempermental with the quality of fuel. But it doesn't mind being beat with a cane, it'll do its best to maintain 150km/h on the autobahn, it is always willing and giving 110%, and most of all, it makes me smile and laugh when I drive it. Certain cars have that fizz, some don't.

I'm not brand loyal and not necessarily saying that the GLK is exciting cuz I haven't driven one. But given the economical drivetrain of the Merc and a "not spectacular" X3, I'd take the former. In fact, for $45k I'd rather buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel than a X3. And I should like the X3 because it's built right up the street....but I just can't.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 01-31-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
GLK trunk and back seats are ridiculously tiny...
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbiology View Post
GLK trunk and back seats are ridiculously tiny...
And please dont get me started on the cheap interior of the GLK.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
And please dont get me started on the cheap interior of the GLK.
Is it really that bad? I traded an '09 C300 and figured it would be comparable and mine wasn't too bad.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
In the city you will find the GLK to be a more agile ride than the larger X3 -- the older X3 version (E83) was closer to the MB in size. The MB also has a larger green house and (to me anyway) more visibility in the rear quarters for those tight areas. The new blutech has a perfect high torque output for the hills and will (hopefully) get great fuel mileage. The new GLK has a much better interior with a richer feeling than the previous years as well. If you absolutely have to have a BMW then check with our fest sponsor jon shafer in Santa Barbara jshafer@sbautogroup.com for the absolutely best deal and sales experience. SB makes a great trip it is well worth it for a great weekend get away.

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-01-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
In the city you will find the GLK to be a more agile ride than the larger X3 -- the older X3 version (E83) was closer to the MB in size. The MB also has a larger green house and (to me anyway) more visibility in the rear quarters for those tight areas. The new blutech has a perfect high torque output for the hills and will (hopefully) get great fuel mileage. The new GLK has a much better interior with a richer feeling than the previous years as well. If you absolutely have to have a BMW then check with our fest sponsor jon shafer in Santa Barbara jshafer@sbautogroup.com for the absolutely best deal and sales experience. SB makes a great trip it is well worth it for a great weekend get away.
Will he ship a loaner out when you need service local to where you live? I don't really mind paying a bit more to have that convenience.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Is it really that bad? I traded an '09 C300 and figured it would be comparable and mine wasn't too bad.
I test drove one a few years ago and the interior was pretty bad, the new interior is suppose to be better, but I havent seen it yet.

On a side note noka, I never service my car when I bought it from and I have always gotten loaners from them. Usually, the service department is seperated from the sales department. If the service deaprtment want your business, they would give you a loaner no matter where you bought the car from.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
...If the service deaprtment want your business, they would give you a loaner no matter where you bought the car from.
Maybe that's the case but I didn't want to chance it.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
The 2011 X3 35 was our first (and, at this point) only BMW. We got nearly every option and love the vehicle. My advice:

Get what you want and don't stint on the options, especially if you're buying; adding them later is often either prohibitively expensive or impossible.

The Nav systems are not perfect but are as good as most. I think that the big screen of the OEM unit is great and the navigation aids in the heads-up-display are fantastic.

The paddle shifters on the steering wheel are cool but, given so many gears and the sport+ mode, I really don't use them.

I'd like a blind-spot system too, but forward and side visibility is really pretty good. Perhaps this will appear in the next big update. The rear camera is a necessity however and should be part of the standard equipment on all models.

Best of luck.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0
Interesting discussion.

Had a 2004 X3 3.0 bought new and traded it in for a 2013 X3 35i in September 2012 with the Sport, Technology, Premium, Premium Sound packages. Did not get Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling or M Sport packages. Am in Northern California and don't ski so didn't want heated seats, etc. I love driving and didn't want a nanny telling me I'm going out of my lane.

After my first X3 which had a hard-riding suspension compared to my wife's 325i which rides beautifully with good feedback, did not want another hard suspension and the 2013 X3 delivers even with 19" wheels and run-flat tires. My old X3 had good power but gave me probably 16 - 19 MPG; you could feel it lunge forward when punched. My 2013 X3 flows by comparison, there is no turbo lag just a rushing forward feeling and is definitely much quicker than the old car, smoother riding, great seats, 8-speed transmission, everything works great. My guess is that I'm getting probably 17 - 21 MPG, a small improvement but OK for 70-more horsepower and I mostly do city driving on streets. The car is less mechanically engaging than the old one but I like it and am getting used to it. No more yanking on the parking brake handle - now I press a button and the electronic parking brake it set.

The start/stop feature which a lot of people talk about has become a background issue for me - I like it and of course, we all get scared when the engine stops but now I'm used to it. Maybe I'm getting a negligible benefit from this, but feel better than I'm not idling at long stop lights. It's a little rough but if the trade-off is that it uses a smaller and lighter starter rather than a big heavy contraption that may have smoother delivery, but give me smaller and lighter every time. The 2013 X3 feels well put together and don't feel any difference in build-quality over my old X3 that was made in Germany, not South Carolina.

I custom ordered the 2013 X3 and got a link to watch the actual car going through a couple of stages of delivery, then saw it driven for the first time out of the factory - cool. I've had five BMW's and my dad had 3.0S so I'm a fan. I accept that cars are becoming less and less engaging as they become more computerized, safer and higher performing through technology. We can't go back to the BMW 2002 anymore what with airbags, crumple zones, power everything. Just came back from a trip down I-5 from San Francisco to L.A. and back - it was the smoothest easiest relaxing drive I've ever had.

Love the new X3!

Last edited by Design49er; 02-01-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
BMW has already developed the next Navi with upgraded HW and SW. If you research it, you'll find some of the complaints about the one in the current model. The X3 2014 this april is slated to get the new Navi. As I understand it, there is no upgrade to the current one. YMMV
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
BMW has already developed the next Navi with upgraded HW and SW. If you research it, you'll find some of the complaints about the one in the current model. The X3 2014 this april is slated to get the new Navi. As I understand it, there is no upgrade to the current one. YMMV
I could be wrong but I'm guessing we'll hear some complaints about the new Nav too.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
I could be wrong but I'm guessing we'll hear some complaints about the new Nav too.
It's already out there in other models. X3 is the last one to get it. X1 won't. It's getting good reviews and comments are not like the old one: "Not fit for purpose.... useless... slow... hopelessly outdated maps ...." If Navi is important, it seems like a good bet to wait for the MY2014. There's videos from BMW on it if you look.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 02-01-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Never had a problem with a loaner when brought in for service at a dealer -- where I didn't buy the car. You might have to make a service appointment however to insure a loaner is available. Jon sells up and down the coast with a great satisfaction record. At the least it is worth an email to check the deal. With luck he might even spring for lunch at San Ysidro Ranch!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:

If you enjoy driving and feeling the road it'll be an easy decision to purchase the X3. The GLK doesn't compare.

Cat help you, live on the right coast.

I'm always surprised when people complain about blind spots. Every vehicle on the planet has a simple solution: adjust your side view mirrors outwardly to almost as far as they go- I promise you that your blind spots will disappear - no bs indicator needed. When a car disappears from your rear view mirror it will appear in your side view mirror- either left or right . 2014 will have updated navigation system- sounds like the only change. You could get a nice deal on a 2013 leftover.

I have the smaller engine and feel its very quick. Drive both and see what you think. When you say agility I believe you mean: Dynamic Handling Package- must have if you won't the great BMW handling/feel.

Yes, but it's more expensive.

I like my vehicles with integrated navigation- super convenient. I would say the BMW NAV is average. The NAV on my acura blows it away- my only real critique of my x3; love it!

6) Are there any configurations or packages or options that anybody feels strongly about? For example if you were considering a C Class I'd tell you: Get the lighting package and be sure to add a folding rear seat option. Must haves: I like my vehicles loaded, so heads up display is the only option I didn't buy. Love the look and sport seats M Sport package has. Dynamic Handling Package Makes it a Bimmer. Xenons with fog lights makes not need high beams- fantastic brightness. Upgraded stereo- well worth it. Split rear seats- nice for golf clubs and skis.

The thing about leasing is you want to drive the vehicle approximately the exact mileage allocated- too much or little messes up the deal. If you drive 5k miles per year and have a deal for 10k miles it may make more sense to buy and then sell your low mileage car when you're ready for a new one.

Answers/advice above
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 AM

Drive the GLK, Q5, and X3 around the city streets -- making sure you hit the steep hilly areas around Nob Hill, Fairmont/Mark as well as the cobblestone street car tracked streets. You will quickly find out which offers the best visiability where you need it in the congested areas. Drive each one in the same areas, not just the nice smooth flat spots the dealers use for their "routes". This is where you will be living with the car so pick the one that fits best. Good luck!