Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Question New Software Update

I made an appointment today to get the oil changed on my 2011 x3 28 and the service writer said there is a software update that needs to be installed. I already got the major update to fix the hesitation, and it was updated again when they installed the trailer hitch. He said this new update only takes 1 1/2 hours. Any idea what this software update is all about?
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Hesitation Update?

Wait, you said you got a software update to address "hesitation?" I HATE my transmission because it totally hesitates all the time on acceleration, especially in higher gears which is seriously dangerous on the highway and super-annoying. If there's a fix I would be so grateful! When was that update made available? I bought my car in October and brought it in for this reason a few weeks later, but the service rep just said it was "working as intended"

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwhirl View Post
Wait, you said you got a software update to address "hesitation?" I HATE my transmission because it totally hesitates all the time on acceleration, especially in higher gears which is seriously dangerous on the highway and super-annoying. If there's a fix I would be so grateful! When was that update made available? I bought my car in October and brought it in for this reason a few weeks later, but the service rep just said it was "working as intended"

thanks!
I think our 2013 X3's already have the updated software for the hesitation issue, i guess the hesitation was even worse. I am getting used to it though, perhaps my driving habit has changed. And also the sports mode certainly minimizes the hesitation.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Ah, that's really too bad. Yes, Sports mode helps some, but I find that the downshifts in Sports mode are unpleasant, plus there's the annoying problem that it always reverts to "Comfort" upon restart. I have to say, I wish I could have my manual E90 back. This 7-gear POS makes me regret buying BMW.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Ah, that's really too bad. Yes, Sports mode helps some, but I find that the downshifts in Sports mode are unpleasant, plus there's the annoying problem that it always reverts to "Comfort" upon restart. I have to say, I wish I could have my manual E90 back. This 7-gear POS makes me regret buying BMW.
You only got 7 gears? There's the problem!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM

What is it, 8? whatever.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 PM

Okay, this latest update is actually a recall for the comfort access key. Seems the some vehicles are having issues communicating with the key. I really haven't had that issue, but I've now had the service done.

I had a loner today which was a 2013 328. No hesitation with that car. I did turn off the auto shutoff feature. How annoying. It was a nice car but the 4 banger engine reminded me of Honda Accords I had 15 years ago. Really prefer the straight 6 in the BMWs.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:

thanks!
The update I had performed only applied to 2011 and maybe some 2012 models. If yours is a 2013 it has that fix. The hesitation was from a complete stop or slow rolling start. I've never had the hesitation you describe. Which x3 do you have?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 PM

Mine is a 2013 Xdrive i28 X3. In "comfort mode" if you're driving at 20-50mph and you press firmly on the gas, there's a solid 1-second lag before anything happens, then, it lurches forward (having presumably down-shifted and authorized the acceleration you requested).

During that one second lag, you instinctively either press harder because nothing is happening and you need to get out of trouble, or you back off trying to gauge what to do next. In either case, that means that when the transmission finally kicks in, you either speed up even further or lurch back to a slower speed. Both cases are uncomfortable and potentially dangerous. IMO the whole thing is a mess.

As I said, I brought it in and the dealer said it was working as designed.

Sport mode is much more responsive when accelerating, but I find that decelerating in Sport mode feels like driving with a kid who downshifts too often and too early. Also, it always reverts to Comfort mode when you start the car, so I have to train myself to turn on Sport mode whenever I get on the highway.

I wonder if there is some third party tuning that can be done to customize the program. I'm sure someone here knows all about that.

Last edited by maxwhirl; 01-30-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM

The auto shutoff is also annoying, but at least you can have that stay off (though that requires a 4-hour visit to the dealer). Apparently they add that to achieve legal fuel economy standards, since when using the auto shutoff, your economy is improved by 1 mpg or so. For me (in typical LA city street driving) the auto shutoff is absurdly impractical. (as you can tell I'm pretty disappointed with a lot of the new features on this 2013 car).