Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
You got me! It's not like I wrote something to the effect of:

"Having lived in NY I know the winters can be colder and the snow sticks around longer. being in NJ your situation is likely to be more like NY than Denver."
Yes, you did. You said so immediately before you proclaimed all-season tires to be fine. Any rational person would think that you were noting your NY/NJ bona fides as rationale for your next sentence.

So, let's look at it in context:
Quote:
Having lived in NY I know the winters can be colder and the snow sticks around longer. being in NJ your situation is likely to be more like NY than Denver.

And I'm going to be that guy that says all-seasons are fine if you drive carefully.
And yet now you want people to believe that you weren't endorsing all-seasons as fine for northern NJ?

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Sport Edition SE-14 which are NOT listed for the F30 335
yeah, the SE-14 isnt listed for the e90 335i either.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Yes, you did. You said so immediately before you proclaimed all-season tires to be fine. Any rational person would think that you were noting your NY/NJ bona fides as rationale for your next sentence.
That's all we need to know. Everything else is your spin attempting to save face.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Princeton

Mein Auto: 2008 335cxi
I believe that he will be fine in North Jersey. Although I am below the traditional snow line (I-78) and the OP is above, I have driven in that area with all seasons (Conti DWS) and have been fine. It is not as good as my wife's X3, but there will not be a problem.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
That's all we need to know. Everything else is your spin attempting to save face.
Ah, yes, of course it is. What are you, twelve?

Let's use exactly your phrasing, but with a different topic. Italics where I've changed the words.

"Personally I don't see a need for glass lined pipes, at least not in the Biotech industry. The conditions where they offer benefit over plastic pipe exist for a few chemicals out of thousands. Having worked in the electronics industry I know organometallics can drive solvolysis and the leakage rate increases. being in pyrophorics your situation is likely to be more like the electronics industry than the Biotech industry.

And I'm going to be that guy that says plastic pipes are fine if you keep the flow rate down. Again the conditions where plastic pipes leak, solvents and heat, exist in a few industries out of many. The rest of the time the pipes are leak free even if the contents are hazardous."

Try selling your "That's all we need to know" nonsense to the DA prosecuting you for criminal negligence after the plastic pipe dissolves and the resulting fire kills three of the first responders. I'm sure she'd be very receptive.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-01-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
LMAO!!! I thought this was about xDrive yay or nay? anyway...All wheel or rear wheel, in the Winter is all about the tires! A good set of tires and you will be just fine!! oh and keep the car litter in the trunk! LOL
Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Lots of good advice in this thread. I've owned lots of cars both front and rear wheel and AWD here in the Chicago area. In Chicago an average winter is 2 to 6 snow storms that leave us with 2-6" of snow per storm. I consider this not very much. All of my cars have done well in this.

AWD is the best, but is not really needed. For the rest of the cars, I run high performance All Season tires. If your car is fitted with summer performance tires, they need to be changed out when temperatures approach freezing.....regardless of whether you have snow or not. At freezing, the compounds used in summer tires become so rigid that the tires perform as though you are using slicks......you will loose control of the car at some point (ask me how I learned this lesson......expensively!).

So, in Jersey, you may get much more snow than we do in Chicago. If that is the case, I would consider getting a separate set of snow tires/wheels. Your normal tires could then either be summer performance or all season. I would opt for the all season just in case you get "caught" out in a temperature drop before you have fitted you snows for the season.

If you do go with All Seasons, please understand that there is a tremendous difference between tires. Personally, having tried lots of all seasons, I have found that the "best" tires for light snow are the Continental Extreme DWS. I have had four sets of them on three different cars and they are really very good in the Chicago snows I mentioned at the start of this reply. They are also extremely cost effective. So, I just run them on all my cars all year long. If I lived in an area that got lots of snow, I would opt for snow tires, without even thinking about it.

If your car has AWD (such as the XDrive) the car will just handle a little bit better in the same conditions. But, XDrive is not really required.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 PM
1 Converted Addict

Mein Auto: 135i M-Sport 6mt Cabrio
I live in Vermont which gets a lot more snow then NJ and more people drive RW drive cars then AW drive cars and they do just fine with snow tires on them. Get the vert with dedicated winter tires for the winter and you will be fine. If you are spending 50k for a car isn't 800.00 for snows worth the price of admission?

PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
I live in Vermont which gets a lot more snow then NJ and more people drive RW drive cars then AW drive cars and they do just fine with snow tires on them. Get the vert with dedicated winter tires for the winter and you will be fine. If you are spending 50k for a car isn't 800.00 for snows worth the price of admission?
Bingo.

XDrive is not a valid replacement for dedicated snow tires, period. While AWD will give you maybe 10% more traction while moving, it does nothing to help you stop the car and that's where dedicated snow tires really shine. No matter how lazy we all are (raises hand) it's not that big a chore to wait at the tire shop for an hour 2x a year to swap the rubber.

We drive performance cars on slippery roads. Whether XDrive or RWD, we all need dedicated snow tires. Spend the money, spend the time, don't compromise safety because it's extra work.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
No, it does not. If it did my GF would be over it more than she's all over me There's rumor the F30 convertible will have AWD as an option.
An awd vert would be pretty damn heavy.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Sure, everyone needs to take snow driving advice from someone in California. \

Ooooooooooooooh my goodness! What you may not know is that one branch o'the family's from NJ & Philly, the other from Northern Ontario.

Personally I like the weather out West....top down twice this week, shakin' off that tight shoe....
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Ah, yes, of course it is. What are you, twelve?
Always with the insults when you have nothing of substance. Do you know what the word "blithe" means? I would hope so because you used it.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Currently in Quebec. While the ratio of AWD cars to nonRwd seems similar to states, 90% of the cars have winter tires.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Snow tires with RWD works fine for me.

Volvo didn't even build an AWD car until about 1996 and it snows a lot in Sweden. But they do have a bunch of different snow tire manufacturers there.

I used studded snows in past years when I sometimes needed to get out before the snow plow drivers needed to get up. They're great in the snow and on ice, but awful on dry pavement and the noise drove me crazy. Studded snow tires are still legal in the Garden State between November 15 and April 1.
2008 E91 station wagon 21K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, Dunlop Winter Sports on car.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i xDrive, 2014 X1
I just purchased a 335 xDrive with all season tires. I'm in Syracuse and we received about 6" of snow the other night and another 3-4" during the day. I was shocked how poorly the car did in the snow. Turning was very difficult. I have driven SUVs and pick ups for years, all with four wheel drive, but this car is completely different. It's completely the tires. I'm now in the market for snow tires. To answer the original question, I have driven RWD cars in this area on and off for years. Get some great snow tires and you will be fine.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:40 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs View Post
I just purchased a 335 xDrive with all season tires. I'm in Syracuse and we received about 6" of snow the other night and another 3-4" during the day. I was shocked how poorly the car did in the snow. Turning was very difficult. I have driven SUVs and pick ups for years, all with four wheel drive, but this car is completely different. It's completely the tires. I'm now in the market for snow tires. To answer the original question, I have driven RWD cars in this area on and off for years. Get some great snow tires and you will be fine.
Great example.

No matter where someone lives, if you get snow you need snow tires. And if you skip snow tires and stay with all seasons, XDrive isn't going to help you. Here's the pecking order:

1. Snow tires + XDrive
2. Snow tires + RWD (10% less traction than snow tires + XDrive)
3. All seasons + XDrive (50% less traction than snow tires)
4. All seasons + RWD (60% less traction than snow tires)

XDrive is a scam, a salesman's tool to get people to spend more money with BMW and less money with their local tire dealer. There is no shortcut to safety. No one likes going to the tire shop 2x a year to swap the rubber. Too bad. Deal with it. No AWD technology allows you to get away with skipping snow tires.

The good news? Once on snow tires, the E9X is a beast in the white stuff, one of the safest cars I've ever driven and I've been in some very nasty snow/ice storms and blizzards up in New England for 14 years.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 02-02-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Doesn't matter what you drive or what you have on the car ...

If you Don't know how to drive in snow, PARK IT and wait for the plows to do their job.

And for God's sake, turn off your 4 ways!

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
XDrive is a scam, a salesman's tool to get people to spend more money with BMW and less money with their local tire dealer. There is no shortcut to safety. No one likes going to the tire shop 2x a year to swap the rubber. Too bad. Deal with it. No AWD technology allows you to get away with skipping snow tires.
Going to to have to disagree with you on this. AWD offers clearly superior forward accelleration. Please don't discount how important this can be.

With that said I would have a difficult time recommending snow tires to anyone living in the Denver metro area. While we do get snow it usually isn't on the roads for very long. Combine that with the warm weather we typically have during the winter and snow tires can be more of a liability than a benefit.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
If you are going to be out there when the weather is going on, you should have snows. If you can sit at home and wait for it to be over and the road to clear, you don't need them.

Keep in mind exactly what AWD is and what it isn't. It will get you up a hill when RWD might not, but it won't stop you coming down that hill, or help you steer on a curve coming down that hill. Snows do that.

For myself, I have all seasons on my cars, and no longer have to drive in snow and can wait for the roads to clear. If I were a doctor or some other sort of person who had to go out during emergencies, or worked where I couldn't just not come in, or go home early at will, I would definitely put snows on all 4 wheels, but buy the car I like, AWD or not.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Agree. The only reason I run summer tires on my cars is the Ranger 4X4 sitting in the driveway with M&S tires for the occasional snow. Plan A when we get a snow report is to put the truck at the bottom of the driveway facing out.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 02-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Going to to have to disagree with you on this. AWD offers clearly superior forward accelleration. Please don't discount how important this can be.

With that said I would have a difficult time recommending snow tires to anyone living in the Denver metro area. While we do get snow it usually isn't on the roads for very long. Combine that with the warm weather we typically have during the winter and snow tires can be more of a liability than a benefit.
Yessir We almost did a 360 in the 550i RWD, if AWD was just a marketing ploy then the xdrive should do the exact same thing when you WOT at a stoplight
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Snow tires are a must if you have your heart set on that rear wheel drive convertible. Get some summer tires for the none snowy months and you'll have a great handling sports car when it's safe. Xdrive for 3 series coming, but no announcement made yet. Might be a couple more years.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Always with the insults when you have nothing of substance. Do you know what the word "blithe" means? I would hope so because you used it.
Convenient of you to then edit out the substance.

But to answer your question, yes, I do know the definition. From Merriam-Webster, blithe means "lacking due thought or consideration : casual, heedless", which I felt described your "advice" perfectly. From your comment, shall I assume that you didn't know that many words have multiple meanings? Granted, using one does require me to assume a measure of literacy on the part of the person to whom the comment is directed, and I fear that in this case I made an error in doing so.

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-04-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Convenient of you to then edit out the substance.
There was no substance.

Quote:
But to answer your question, yes, I do know the definition. From Merriam-Webster, blithe means "lacking due thought or consideration : casual, heedless", which I felt described your "advice" perfectly.
Good. Now that you understand what it means please reconcile:

"...being in NJ your situation is likely to be more like NY than Denver"

With the highlighted words in the definition. The words "your situation" clearly show I took into consideration his situation.

Quote:
From your comment, shall I assume that you didn't know that many words have multiple meanings? Granted, using one does require me to assume a measure of literacy on the part of the person to whom the comment is directed, and I fear that in this case I made an error in doing so.
For one who accuses someone else of being twelve years old you certainly exhibit that behavior yourself. If you're going to stoop to snarky responses don't bother responding.

Last edited by sunny5280; 02-04-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Good. Now that you understand what it means please reconcile:

"...being in NJ your situation is likely to be more like NY than Denver"

With the highlighted words in the definition. The words "your situation" clearly show I took into consideration his situation.
Use your whole quote. Right before this, you said you used to live in NY. Then, you said NJ was more like NY than Denver. Immediately after this, having stated your qualifications to have an relevant opinion, you casually and heedlessly recommended all-season tires to the person in NJ with absolutely no qualifier at all.

Fits the definition pretty well.

Do I have to go as far as diagramming your sentences for you ?

Quote:
For one who accuses someone else of being twelve years old you certainly exhibit that behavior yourself. If you're going to stoop to snarky responses don't bother responding.
Oh, did I hurt your feelings? It seems like something has your little panties all in a bunch. To paraphrase a flaming tool from another thread, why don't you man up and take responsibility for your statements?