Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord for now
Retrofitting Lumbar Support

Is there a reasonable way to get driver lumbar support into an E46 325i 2004 wagon with sport seats? I know it was standard in the 2005 wagon version and in earlier 330 sedans. So could I install such a seat from a wreck and make it work in place of my powered drivers seat with no power lumbar? Or could I buy the lumbar bits from BMW (at what price?) and install them into my seat? Or is this all much trouble because the power lumbar support is not that much better after all? Thanks for any help or advice.

Yohan Morgan
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
You can, but it's a real PITA. You have to take the whole seat apart, and all the parts are expensive. I looked into it a long time ago as I, like you have a 2004, and it was available a year later.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
If the parts fit in your budget, factory fit and function are important, and you have an afternoon to spare, then the BMW lumbar support is for you.

If the BMW parts are outside your budget and you're not concerned about aesthetics, then I have seen aftermarket inflatable lumbar cushions that strap to the seat back and inflate either via an electric air pump or a hand pump. I don't recall if I have seen them in a catalog or in an auto parts store.

I retrofitted the power lumbar equipment to my car's front seats a couple of years ago. My local dealer had to special-order the parts, which are still expensive. Getting the air cushion into the seat is still a PITA; however, it was a worthwhile effort because OE fit and function are two major priorities for me. My front-seat passengers and I appreciate having the added support, particularly on long drives.

To learn more about the retrofit process, visit Terry Kennedy's Web site: http://www.tmk.com/lumbar/index.shtml
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterdancer View Post
Is there a reasonable way to get driver lumbar support into an E46 325i 2004 wagon with sport seats? I know it was standard in the 2005 wagon version and in earlier 330 sedans. So could I install such a seat from a wreck and make it work in place of my powered drivers seat with no power lumbar? Or could I buy the lumbar bits from BMW (at what price?) and install them into my seat? Or is this all much trouble because the power lumbar support is not that much better after all? Thanks for any help or advice.

Yohan Morgan
If you buy a used seat that has the lumbar support, it will be plug and play. I did the same to my old 325i, I installed seats out of another e46 that had lumbar support.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
If you buy a used seat that has the lumbar support, it will be plug and play. I did the same to my old 325i, I installed seats out of another e46 that had lumbar support.
I actually looked into that too, but everyone wanted to sell their seats in pairs. My sport seats are in perfect condition after I re-dyed a few spots, and I just didn't think it was worth it. I have lumbar in my Acura MDX, which is my main vehicle, and I really don't miss it in the BMW. If I ever do, I will just get a lumbar cushion to use.