Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
Fords do have one thing going for them...the techs will always be busy and have a secure job . Sorry to hear your ol' girl is giving you problems.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 95 525iT w/S52, 03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsled7 View Post
OK.... BUT, you also can not expect that others will volunteer their precious time to do your research right? It is not my problem that you have taken on more than you can handle. None of us are getting paid to help you so maybe a different attitude?

I don't mind answering time and again...

I use Mobil 1 0w-40 european formula in my 175k mile 535i all year round. It is BMW approved and $6.50/qt al Wal Mart. The vast majority of engine wear occurs at start up. The thinner the oil the more quickly you have oil flow. Mine is due for a change, it is down about 1/4 qt in the last 5000 miles. That is slightly more than the last four changes.

Oil is debatable all day long. I suggest the "bobistheoilguy" forums for oil discussions.
This is the best advice on here. The 0w-40 will give your engine the best protection at cold start up and will have the protection of a 40 weight oil once warmed up. The price at Walmart is unbeatable.

I drove an 89 535i for over 100K miles and did not know this during my ownership. I ran Castrol Syntec 5w-50 during the winter and usually put Mobile One 15w-50 in during the warmer months. I had no issues with my motor at similar mileage to yours so you have a range of oil choices that will be OK. I just think the 0w-40 is the best choice now that I have researched this a bit. BTW, an M30 engine with 250K miles that has been well maintained does not need to be rebuilt or replaced. This is one of the best engine designs BMW ever produced. Very robust and will live a very long time if its owner(s) take care of it.