Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 PM
E60black E60black is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 545i
Relay 1?

I have '05 545i and got a chance to use a friends snap-on solus. Was going through the diff selections and under "voltage" I get a "relay 1 faulty" reading...does anyone know what/where relay 1 is?

From what I researched, its the DME relay....so I went ahead and got another relay and opened up the fuse box under the passenger cabin air filter...I only saw a brown relay and salmon color. No other relay....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359683410.188869.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	360042   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359683421.789578.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	360043  
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM
racooper3 racooper3 is online now
BMW Master Wannabe
Location: Tampa
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 343
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
What color relay did you buy, square black one? If yes in trunk electrical panel right above the battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
E60black E60black is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by racooper3 View Post
What color relay did you buy, square black one? If yes in trunk electrical panel right above the battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Bimmer App
Well I thought relay 1 was the DME relay so I went ahead and got one from BMW, it's a blue one. I know the black one you're talking about by the battery but I already replaced that one right before I got a new alternator put in.

Could it go bad again? And is that relay 1???
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 AM
bimmerfan52 bimmerfan52 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 909
Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60black View Post
I have '05 545i and got a chance to use a friends snap-on solus. Was going through the diff selections and under "voltage" I get a "relay 1 faulty" reading...does anyone know what/where relay 1 is?

From what I researched, its the DME relay....so I went ahead and got another relay and opened up the fuse box under the passenger cabin air filter...I only saw a brown relay and salmon color. No other relay....
I am not familiar with the Snap-On Solus unit, but I am guessing it is a standard OBD II scan tool. Was a generic P-code associated with the error?

Were you experiencing problems with your 545i or did you just hook up the Solus unit out of curiosity?

I haven't seen any reference in Bentley's repair manual or other sources that identify what "Relay 1" is. Maybe others can chime in.

What was the part number of the relay you ordered?

There are relays in the E-box that you mention, as well as in the fuse panel behind the back of the glove box and as you acknowledge, in the trunk.

If you haven't been experiencing problems there is no need to start swapping relays. If you are experiencing problems list the symptoms as an aid to others helping you troubleshoot the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM
E60black E60black is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 545i
There was no CEL however I've been having issues with fuel cutting off when I feather touch the pedal. I tried to push the the pedal harder to see if CEL might generate but nothing.

The reason I hooked up a snap on was because my airbag light came on along with seatbelt light after a cold start. I checked the airbag options and it gave a code for something with the battery cable (friend was too quick to clear it before I could take a picture)...then I went under voltage and it said relay 1 faulty. I thought they were both connected in some way.

I also need to change my o2 sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359752213.144680.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	360149  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM
bimmerfan52 bimmerfan52 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 909
Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60black View Post
There was no CEL however I've been having issues with fuel cutting off when I feather touch the pedal. I tried to push the the pedal harder to see if CEL might generate but nothing.

The reason I hooked up a snap on was because my airbag light came on along with seatbelt light after a cold start. I checked the airbag options and it gave a code for something with the battery cable (friend was too quick to clear it before I could take a picture)...then I went under voltage and it said relay 1 faulty. I thought they were both connected in some way.

I also need to change my o2 sensor.
For the airbag light and seatbelt light I would look for over and under voltage, which can generate some strange things in an E60. Whenever lights or codes come and go the first thing I look at is the battery and alternator.

For throttle hesitation I would suggest you look at your MAF sensor or a vacuum leak first. If the engine runs at all the fuel pump relay is probably good.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:09 PM
E60black E60black is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
For the airbag light and seatbelt light I would look for over and under voltage, which can generate some strange things in an E60. Whenever lights or codes come and go the first thing I look at is the battery and alternator.

For throttle hesitation I would suggest you look at your MAF sensor or a vacuum leak first. If the engine runs at all the fuel pump relay is probably good.
Well I had the infamous voltage regulator issue which caused all systems to light up but airbag never came up then. This was about a month ago. Replaced the alternator with a brand new Valeo one. Not a rebuilt, came in the Valeo box with packaging. Also went ahead and got a new AGM battery (Duracell) and registered it.

Car fires right up beautifully on a cold start, it's just when it warms up is when these issues occur. Also if I make a quick trip to the store and come back to restart the car, the idle will sometimes drastically move up and down -- as high as 800-1000rpm.

Took MAF off and the thing looks brand new. Barely any dirt on it. Only other issue I have is the vacuum pump leak. Maybe a few drops every couple days....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
bimmerfan52 bimmerfan52 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 909
Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60black View Post
Well I had the infamous voltage regulator issue which caused all systems to light up but airbag never came up then. This was about a month ago. Replaced the alternator with a brand new Valeo one. Not a rebuilt, came in the Valeo box with packaging. Also went ahead and got a new AGM battery (Duracell) and registered it.

Car fires right up beautifully on a cold start, it's just when it warms up is when these issues occur. Also if I make a quick trip to the store and come back to restart the car, the idle will sometimes drastically move up and down -- as high as 800-1000rpm.

Took MAF off and the thing looks brand new. Barely any dirt on it. Only other issue I have is the vacuum pump leak. Maybe a few drops every couple days....
I would still consider cleaning the MAF even though it looks good. The vacuum pump leak is probably not as important as an actual vacuum leak just after the MAF. You may want to search the forums for "smoke test" or other methods of finding vacuum leaks.

This is thread for purchase of o-rings, seals to repair vacuum pump leaks.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595235
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 AM
E60black E60black is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 545i
Ill try giving the smoke test a shot. Why can't the darn thing just throw a CEL so I can fix it and move on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms