Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Sunny5280, did you miss my last post addressed to you?
Maybe...which one are you referring to?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Maybe...which one are you referring to?
This one,

"Sunny5280 do you have anything constructive or helpful to add that might assist in getting my car running? If not I suggest you move on to a different thread."
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
This one,

"Sunny5280 do you have anything constructive or helpful to add that might assist in getting my car running? If not I suggest you move on to a different thread."
Yes I did. Not sure how you would not have known that given it was quoted in my response to you.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
These cars are super complicated. I wouldn't touch a water damaged one with a 10 foot pole. The battery is in the trunk. If the trunk had water in it, you need to check whatever modules there are not damaged.

Check out the coding forums. You need a usb cable and need to start poking around in the car's computers.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
I wouldn't touch a water damaged one with a 10 foot pole. The battery is in the trunk.
Would you nudge one with a pole for half price?

Quote:
If the trunk had water in it, you need to check whatever modules there are not damaged.
There was never standing water in the trunk. When I opened it it just smelled musty and had a bit of condensation due to the steep drop in temperature.

Quote:
Check out the coding forums. You need a usb cable and need to start poking around in the car's computers.
I'm leaning towards the Bavarian Technics enthusiast model.

I have only spent about twenty minutes working on the car so far due to other weekend commitments. I have already found that there is no power to the fuel pump (e.g.) there is either a blown fuse or relay.

Of course the forecasters of doom here on the forum would be betting on some water damaged "module" or "ecu" or some such electronic gremlin.

I'll know when I check out the fuses and the relays.

If worse comes to worse I'll have to run a diagnostic check with the Bav Tech Tool.

Either way I'll figure it out.

And fix it. I don't see any Carmeggedon in my future.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Oh, and thanks for the advice Unrealii.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Just found a relay in the trunk by the fuel door. It looks to be a fuel pump relay. Now to check the fuses.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Quote:
Would you nudge one with a pole for half price?
100% working/fixed salvaged title cars which have been inspected and retitled for road use are already worth half of a clean title counter part. I hope you really got a good price on this car.

The Bav tech tool is a great start. Make sure you are aware of its limitations. You can do a lot more with INPA, but its not as user friendly.

Last edited by unrealii; 02-04-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 335
Quote:
Yes I did. Not sure how you would not have known that given it was quoted in my response to you.

at least his tone seems to have progressively changed. Not sure why people want to enter a forum dedicated to a specific thing guns a blazin' trash talking then expect people to help them. It's a technique...doesn't make sense to me, but it's a technique.

@BashedBarrique: I hope you get the "project" car fixed up...you did buy it with the intention of it being a project after all, so I don't know how upset you can be when the project suddenly becomes a project. At any rate, I think this was purely self-induced by running the tank empty, and had nothing to do with the fragility of the BMW. Best of luck on rooting out the problem.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
100% working/fixed salvaged title cars which have been inspected and retitled for road use are already worth half of a clean title counter part. I hope you really got a good price on this car.
Uh, no they aren't. Salvage title cars that have been repaired properly typically go for a discount but not half. Try and find a late model BMW that has been repaired to proper specs and in good condition for half price.

You won't.

I paid slightly less than half of the KBB price and the interior, most of the body panels and the mechanicals are nearly perfect. I will have slightly more than half of KBB invested when I'm done, since most of what is required is labor to repair the damaged panels, which I am more than comfortable doing.

I have done this several times before. I'm not worried.

And besides, I keep cars FOREVER so I don't really care what its resale value is anyway. I have no plans to sell the car. When I sell cars they are typically ready for the boneyard.

Quote:
The Bav tech tool is a great start. Make sure you are aware of its limitations. You can do a lot more with INPA, but its not as user friendly.
What can you tell me about the INPA? Is it just software and a connector? Does it come with manuals and instructions etc.? What would be the specific advantages and disadvantages compared to the Bav Tech set up?

I'm not afraid of a little jargon and don't even need a GUI interface if there is enough support to navigate the code.

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 02-04-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post

at least his tone seems to have progressively changed. Not sure why people want to enter a forum dedicated to a specific thing guns a blazin' trash talking then expect people to help them. It's a technique...doesn't make sense to me, but it's a technique.
Where did I "trash talk"? I just told the background of the car and asked for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
@BashedBarrique: I hope you get the "project" car fixed up...you did buy it with the intention of it being a project after all, so I don't know how upset you can be when the project suddenly becomes a project. At any rate, I think this was purely self-induced by running the tank empty, and had nothing to do with the fragility of the BMW. Best of luck on rooting out the problem.
Yep, I knew it wasn't going to be fixed in two days for $100. And I'm heading out to the garage to check those fuses and relays, which I suspect are the problem. It could be the pump clogged and drew too much current popping a fuse or a relay.

I'll get back to this thread after I figure it out.

I wish that Bentley Manual would get here.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Where did I "trash talk"? I just told the background of the car and asked for help.
This comment:

"Not a very impressive start I might add."
Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Uh, no they aren't. Salvage title cars that have been repaired properly typically go for a discount but not half. Try and find a late model BMW that has been repaired to proper specs and in good condition for half price.

You won't.

I paid slightly less than half of the KBB price and the interior, most of the body panels and the mechanicals are nearly perfect. I will have slightly more than half of KBB invested when I'm done, since most of what is required is labor to repair the damaged panels, which I am more than comfortable doing.

I have done this several times before. I'm not worried.

And besides, I keep cars FOREVER so I don't really care what its resale value is anyway. I have no plans to sell the car. When I sell cars they are typically ready for the boneyard.
Let's hope whatever issue you find ends up being the final issue. With water damage problems can manifest over time and can be costly to diagnose. That's why insurance companies total them. The dank smelling interior should be a sign this car has seen significant water inside. You may get it running now only to have it continually be problematic.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM

Fuse 40 blown!

Thanks Princeton.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Princeton

Mein Auto: 2008 335cxi
Good luck! Hope that is all there is.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Fired right up!

Running like a top.

Gonna take her for a test drive (close to home of course).
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 PM

I just drove her for over thirty minutes at various speeds. No signs of any hesitation or any other problem.

I tried to tell some of you negative Nellies that the car didn't sustain any "water damage" beyond wet rear carpets, some slight condensation in the trunk and a general musty smell from being closed up with damp carpets for a month. Also the broken sunroof (moonroof?) glass was covered with a piece of plastic that was taped on rather haphazardly so I wouldn't be surprised if it was leaking a bit over the month it sat out in the storage lot.

I suppose time will tell if there are any other gremlins waiting. It is still possible that the fuel pump or a relay is going out and that is what caused the fuse to blow. But my money is on the fact that I ran the tank almost dry and perhaps (temporarily) overheated the fuel pump.

I'll update this thread if any other symptoms pop-up. Also I'll start a thread on the body work. Before and after pictures are always fun.

Thanks to all of the people that gave useful advice (especially Princeton) and as for the naysayers...well thanks for contributing your opinions, even if they were not particularly helpful.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
This comment:

"Not a very impressive start I might add."
Sorry if that remark sounded like harsh criticism. I meant it as a bit of mild sarcasm. I wouldn't have bought a BMW if I didn't think they were good cars. I guess I should have expected that folks in a BMW forum might take offense to what I meant as a gentle humorous jab.

I have always admired BMW's. I have subscribed to Car and Driver magazine for over twenty years. They are often accused of being paid off by BMW because their praise of BMW cars is almost fawning.

The 3 series has been on their Top Ten List for over twenty straight years. I have always wanted one. I would have preferred an M3 but I doubt that I could have convinced my wife that it was a "practical" car.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 08 328i Alpinweiss Coupe
Quote:
Fired right up!

Running like a top.

Gonna take her for a test drive (close to home of course).

Nice bit of trouble shooting. Well done!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craignet View Post
Nice bit of trouble shooting. Well done!
Thanks Craignet.

Well, it would have been more impressive had I diagnosed the problem when it happened and not had to drive back three days later with a truck and a trailer for an additional $250 bucks in gas and 16 hours round trip of driving.

But it was getting dark and I was in the middle of a field in single digit weather. Also I didn't even know where the fuse box was nor if I really had a fuel problem or what and I had to teach the next day so spending a bunch of time wasn't an option.

I just drove it another hour or so around the interstate beltway near my house and she is running beautifully!

God these are great cars. The 3.0 liter six is so tractable and smooth it is almost turbine like. Now I just have to convince my wife that she really wants a six speed manual. Of course maybe I should just buy her a Camry with an automatic and keep the Bimmer all to myself.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 08 328i Alpinweiss Coupe
No, no, no. Keep it. Keep it for yourself!
These are great cars. We got our 08 328 coupe 2 years ago when I did the mid-life crisis car thing. Wanted a Corvette but the logical part of my brain kicked in for a moment and I bought a BMW.

Enjoy the drive, enjoy the trip. It's the best part of life.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I tried to tell some of you negative Nellies that the car didn't sustain any "water damage" beyond wet rear carpets, some slight condensation in the trunk and a general musty smell from being closed up with damp carpets for a month. Also the broken sunroof (moonroof?) glass was covered with a piece of plastic that was taped on rather haphazardly so I wouldn't be surprised if it was leaking a bit over the month it sat out in the storage lot.
Not trying to be a negative Nellie but the fact the car is currently running in no way guarantees you will not have water related problems with it in the future. Water related problems tend to come later as the vehicle ages. That's why insurance companies tend to total them instead of repair them.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Sorry if that remark sounded like harsh criticism. I meant it as a bit of mild sarcasm. I wouldn't have bought a BMW if I didn't think they were good cars. I guess I should have expected that folks in a BMW forum might take offense to what I meant as a gentle humorous jab.
I didn't take it as trash talk but rather a stupid comment given the status of the car you just purchased.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM

Craig,

Oh yeah, it's mine. The wife is carping about the manual transmission so I'll just get her some automatic transmission equipped appliance like a Camry or a CRV and she'll be happy.

And I'll be cruising in my Bimmer.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I didn't take it as trash talk but rather a stupid comment given the status of the car you just purchased.
So far you have used the words "stupid" and "complete idiot" in replies to me.

You really know how to make friends.